Panasonic RP-HTX7 Mod [56K WARNING]
May 9, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #17 of 27
its really just a changing of the driver dampening.
many headphones share drivers, with only dampening and housing as difference, yet they may sound totaly different.
playing with foam is an excellent way of changing the soundsignature of a headphone to your liking, and it strange its not more widespread here on headfi.

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #19 of 27
but i used thicker foam and added to pen sized holes in each pad the result was nice, it made it sound more like i had my own private listening room rather than headphones, it also kept the highs clear
smile_phones.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #20 of 27
I just got my HTX7's for Crimbo. Compared to what I've been using, these are a great set of phones!

My only gripe is this: The vinyl pads are bloody cold in this weather and the pads don't quite cover up behind my jaw so there is a slight gap. On my HP840's the pad raises slightly where it fits behind the jaw to allow a better fit and get a better seal. Has anyone ever made a velour pad for the Panasonics, raising the pad where it fits behind the jaw? Would make them absolutely perfect.

Another thing I've been thinking about is speaker dynamics: When a speaker moves, it pushes air from the front and behind. That's why open backed cans are probably more efficient at shifting air, as there is nothing impeding the air flow coming from the rear of the speaker. Now going back to the HTX7's, the back of the speaker unit, there are 3 holes that allow air flow to come from the rear of the speaker. Has anyone ever punctured one of the holes on the extremities of the speaker holder assembly? My thinking is that the air flow form the rear of the speaker could be redirected towards the ear. Could anyone confirm or even look into this type of setup please?

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #23 of 27
I recently bought a pair. I am not as much an audiophile as most users here, but my black RP-HXT7s have pretty full mids, and a little over the top on the highs, and a very light low end. I purchased them for their retro look and am happy I did. I think they do not sound any better than any other $35 over the ear set. I ended up taking mine and covering the main lead with sage green 550 cord sheath, and the inter-phone wire with some tie-down rope sheathing.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 27
Oh I also sanded and re-sprayed the shells flat-black, and replaced the inter-ear wire with some twisted-pair from a punch-down phone block (cut too much off the original wire and wondered around my dorms till I found a sutable length of wire. Its kinda like ethernet, but just one pair.)  I like the look a little better than stock. any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back