Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Feb 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #586 of 599
Quote:
i see you own the sunrise xcited. i bought a pair of them recently and burnt in for 20 hours now. i think they are great, better clarity and more forwarded mids than my panasonic hje270 but dont you find the sunrise xcited lacking in sub-bass? moving on from a earphone with rumble to something like the xcited just makes it feel inadequate for me and makes music sound a little colder and technical.

the highs on the xcited is also more fatiguing and piercing, if i listen to the same volume on my hje270 and xcited, i get fatigued easily with the xcited but not much so with the hje270. but i realise that even with the treble settling down in sunrise xcited after more burn in, the sub-bass i've always enjoyed 
won't appear out of nowhere. thus i went back to purchasing the hje900. :)

I used to own it, I used my pair for about 2 or 3 months max, so I can't tell you how it sounded compared to my HJE900, but to my ears my Brainwavz b2 sounds just right not lacking anything (like bass, maybe a bit of sub bass, but not enough to distract me) . I never thought of the pannies like a bassy headphone but it does have a V shaped signature. Hope you enjoy your pair, it is beautiful and well made.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #588 of 599
guys! my panasonic hje900 is finally here!

1st minute of listening AND NO REGRETS ON THIS PURCHASE! 

omg i have finally reconciled with the panasonic house sound. they do sound very similar to my hje270 off my memory and i still have the hje270 so i will do a proper comparison later on. 

i just want to share my joy with you fellow hje900 owners :)

these shouldnt have been discontinued, where am i going to find a same model replacement in future :frowning2:

listening to them for 1 day now,

seems like the hje900 (1 day old) has little rumble/sub-bass compared to the hje270(been using for more than a year on daily basis), which is something i did not expect.

hje900 - constant low hiss noise with my computer output, no apparent hiss heard with ipad 2. seems like it is rather source dependent. treble can be a little sibilant on some soundtrack but never piercing or annoying (violins sound good out of them). very low fatigue for long hour listening on low volume which suits my listening preferences well. cant think of any other complains or improvement to comment on. 

going to continue listening into the hundreds of hours and see if any thing changes :)

*oh and among the sunrise xcited, jvc fxd70 and hje900, only the hje900 sounds good for listening from open box. the sunrise xcited was piercing at open box which made it overbearing until burning it in without simultaneous listening and jvc fxd70 was a little grainy on some soundtrack, not sure if that's the result of the over enhanced treble or was it a problem with the mids (reminded me of the grainy/distorted sounds in 1st ever earbud earphone i own many years ago). i find slight sibilance more acceptable than a slightly grainy sound signature.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #590 of 599
They're amazing. Most realistic sounding IEMs I've ever tried. Other IEMs might have better detail, but none sound as close to the real thing as these. Maybe too much detail is a bad thing, as this famous photographer said about shooting with film/digital. Still trying to find a replacement for it after the cable on my unfortunately broke :frowning2: Might just go for a CIEM now.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #591 of 599
Agreed, exactly the reason why they will always be keepers. Sorry about your pair. Btw you should look into the Yamaha PRO 500. They're a little heavy on the head, with small ear cups but the SQ is epic, just as natural as the HJE900s yet more refined and more detailed.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #592 of 599
Quote:
They're amazing. Most realistic sounding IEMs I've ever tried. Other IEMs might have better detail, but none sound as close to the real thing as these. Maybe too much detail is a bad thing, as this famous photographer said about shooting with film/digital. Still trying to find a replacement for it after the cable on my unfortunately broke :frowning2: Might just go for a CIEM now.

Just get Sleek Audio SA-6 or (I think 1) cable. It isn't built as nicely but it does the job and is cheap. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #593 of 599
Quote:

Just get Sleek Audio SA-6 or (I think 1) cable. It isn't built as nicely but it does the job and is cheap. 

I second that.

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #594 of 599
I plan to buy a Grado SR225is or a RS2i if I get one cheap off the used market.

I have come to love the signature of the HJE900, the accurate low end rumble and the shriek-y high end.

I mainly listen to Rock/Metal, the music what Grado is made for, and I want to know about how they stack up against this in terms of accuracy/detail against the Panas?

Someone who owns/had owned both of them?

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #595 of 599

I have come to love the signature of the HJE900, the accurate low end rumble and the shriek-y high end.

I mainly listen to Rock/Metal, the music what Grado is made for, and I want to know about how they stack up against this in terms of accuracy/detail against the Panas?

I'm a big fan of the HJE900 and even though I don't own any Grados, I've heard my fair share of them including the 225i and have a rough idea of what the series sound like.

Now, I'm in love with the tone / timbre of the HJE900 i.e. how real and accurate they sound, esp. drums and guitars. If you're like me, then let me tell you this. No other headphones / IEMs have a signature that comes close. Trust me, I have been trying over the past couple of years to find an upgrade, and recently a replacement now that my HJE900 are bust. I had tried the JVC FX700 and FXT90, both of which many will say are upgrades to the HJE900 but I didn't think they could mimic HJE900's signature.

That being said, so are the Grados. They have a very fun but detailed signature. Easy to like, slight V-shaped and good for all genres. Tonality is good like many other audiophile headphones but if you're looking for that specific signature the HJE900 do, you won't find it. 

The thing about the HJE900 is that it's very polarizing. Good for certain instruments, but doesn't sound as good for vocals, piano - depending on your personal preference on the presentation. It's sad to see it discontinued and I really wish Panasonic will develop a replacement for it in the future. They must know how the sort of legendary status it has acquired here. 

ps. one thing I have not tried is other Panasonics like the HJE700. I wonder if they carry the same house signature or Panasonic just got extremely lucky with the HJE900.. I have the HTF600 but they sound like your average decent headphones, nothing special like the HJE900 :)

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #596 of 599

I'm a big fan of the HJE900 and even though I don't own any Grados, I've heard my fair share of them including the 225i and have a rough idea of what the series sound like.

Now, I'm in love with the tone / timbre of the HJE900 i.e. how real and accurate they sound, esp. drums and guitars. If you're like me, then let me tell you this. No other headphones / IEMs have a signature that comes close. Trust me, I have been trying over the past couple of years to find an upgrade, and recently a replacement now that my HJE900 are bust. I had tried the JVC FX700 and FXT90, both of which many will say are upgrades to the HJE900 but I didn't think they could mimic HJE900's signature.

That being said, so are the Grados. They have a very fun but detailed signature. Easy to like, slight V-shaped and good for all genres. Tonality is good like many other audiophile headphones but if you're looking for that specific signature the HJE900 do, you won't find it. 

The thing about the HJE900 is that it's very polarizing. Good for certain instruments, but doesn't sound as good for vocals, piano - depending on your personal preference on the presentation. It's sad to see it discontinued and I really wish Panasonic will develop a replacement for it in the future. They must know how the sort of legendary status it has acquired here. 

ps. one thing I have not tried is other Panasonics like the HJE700. I wonder if they carry the same house signature or Panasonic just got extremely lucky with the HJE900.. I have the HTF600 but they sound like your average decent headphones, nothing special like the HJE900 :)

Grado and HJE900s aren't cut from the same cloth. 

However my good friend Roma101 says that the Yamaha PRO500 is a dead ringer for the sig, only more refined. I only demoed them shortly and have to say they do have really similar timbre and feel (I didn't have my HJEs anymore so I can't say if it was the same sig for certain, but if not it is darn close). I just can't stand the fit (but still want to own them when I get some disposable cash). 

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #597 of 599

Grado and HJE900s aren't cut from the same cloth. 

However my good friend Roma101 says that the Yamaha PRO500 is a dead ringer for the sig, only more refined. I only demoed them shortly and have to say they do have really similar timbre and feel (I didn't have my HJEs anymore so I can't say if it was the same sig for certain, but if not it is darn close). I just can't stand the fit (but still want to own them when I get some disposable cash). 

Yes, I forgot about that! I remember Roma101 saying that in this thread somewhere about the Pro500. They're not IEMs and they aren't as affordable as the HJE900 but definitely worth a look. I'm still contemplating on whether I should splash the cash. I have now a W1000x as desktop and Atrios (soon) as portable. The Pro500 may as well be the in between!

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #598 of 599
^^Yep yep I love the PRO 500 and recommend that you give them a try. At the price I say they're worth it (I don't say this about every headphone just so you know) but it's always better to look for a good deal (especially on the FS thread). The only complaints I have about them is they're slightly bulky and the cups could be more spacious. However those are minor complaints as to my ears, the SQ is glorious.

Tom, I'm sure they'll go down in price. Definitely a can worth owning. If only they had better ergonomics; I love something head-conforming like the 1R, M-100 or Momentum. However they sound better than all three IMHO.

Oh and yes I still love the HJEs and agree its hard to find a headphone with that kind of natural timbre. The PRO 500s definitely sound just as natural with better detail, refinement, layering and soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back