Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Oct 21, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #571 of 599
Whoa that's awesome to hear about the HTFs. Thanks for the update. You got me thinking about the K501s until you mentioned they weren't great for rock haha. What genres do they work with? What made you decide to get them instead of the HD600? Btw, I got myself a D1000 (same as D1001) off ebay recently and I am loving them for timbre and overall balance. I'm still thinking about the HD600 or D2000 for the future. But in the mean time, maybe I should check out the HTFs. Especially since they're being compared to a more fun/baby version on the HD650s.  

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #572 of 599
I got a mint K501, new FA-003 and new HTF600 all for the price of the price of one HD600, that's why 
wink.gif
 The FA-003 is also known to be very similar to the HD600. It's timbre is a bit short of perfect but I heard it improves with wooden cup mod. It's really amazing for the price.

The K501 works best with vocals IMO. The midrange is probably one of the best in the world regardless of price. It doesn't have quite the energy of the HJE900 to work with rock music, but I don't mean they suck with rock. I still enjoy them while listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers but I'm sure they're other headphones out there that are more specialized in rock, though will probably won't match the K501 in other areas.

I'm still reserving my thoughts on the HTF600. The more I listen to it, the more I manage to pick flaws which make it less of a giant killer. It's great for $30 but I don't think close to the $150 FA-003 yet.. lol sounds silly comparing to a headphone 5x its price! though I think it's slightly better than the $80 FA-006.

Glad you liked the D1000 
cool.gif
 Guess someone here can agree on how nice the Denons are!

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #573 of 599
I just received my first ever HJE900, and I'm loving their sound! In more than one way, they remind me of a few favorites, especially the FX700, my all time favorite bass-heavy dynamic. In all honestly, I've heard much ado about their treble, and if anything, I feel it's their main strength. Coupled with the right tips, sibilance is a thing of the past But even with the stock tips, it's on the extremely tolerable side of the scale, and I've absolutely no complaints with it, nor do I see the need to tame it. I haven't heard sparkle like this in a while, and the high end is extremely crisp and defined. Considering their fantastic build, they're definitely keepers, as far as I'm concerned. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #574 of 599

Quote:
I just received my first ever HJE900, and I'm loving their sound! In more than one way, they remind me of a few favorites, especially the FX700, my all time favorite bass-heavy dynamic. In all honestly, I've heard much ado about their treble, and if anything, I feel it's their main strength. Coupled with the right tips, sibilance is a thing of the past But even with the stock tips, it's on the extremely tolerable side of the scale, and I've absolutely no complaints with it, nor do I see the need to tame it. I haven't heard sparkle like this in a while, and the high end is extremely crisp and defined. Considering their fantastic build, they're definitely keepers, as far as I'm concerned. 
biggrin.gif

While I share your impression about the sound signature of the Pannies compared with FX700, bass still sound more refined on the FX700 (shorter decay if I can call it like that) and treble are also more natural on the FX700s (female vocals on the FX700s are pure bliss, while they sound a bit harsh/dry on the HJE900s). In the higher parts of the mids, the HJE900s win though (guitar and male voices are less forward with the JVCs, I had to play with EQ a bit). For me, the price difference between those 2 is justified, even though they have a lot in common.
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #575 of 599
Agree with everything you've said, my friend. I doubt I'll be parting from my FX700's any time soon, but if ever I was looking for a less expensive complimentary in-ear, at less than a third of the cost (granted you find one, since they're rather hard to find), the HJE900 is quite the bargain. 
smile.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #576 of 599
This is the second time the Sleek Audio cables gave away. I am fed up with their el-cheapo inferior quality cables that cost a bomb. They hardly last a month on me!

Just to receive a new pair of replacement cables I have to wait for months on an end for any of relatives to come down to India.

Is there a way to repair them or any DIY kit or any other method to make a new one?

Both of these cables have been cut but the cables are too thin to get a proper soldering done on it.

Could anyone please provide some alternatives to these cables, under 20$ preferably.

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #577 of 599

Quote:
This is the second time the Sleek Audio cables gave away. I am fed up with their el-cheapo inferior quality cables that cost a bomb. They hardly last a month on me!

Just to receive a new pair of replacement cables I have to wait for months on an end for any of relatives to come down to India.

Is there a way to repair them or any DIY kit or any other method to make a new one?

Both of these cables have been cut but the cables are too thin to get a proper soldering done on it.

Could anyone please provide some alternatives to these cables, under 20$ preferably.

You can try DIY with Nokia plugs.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/449026/custom-sleek-audio-earphone-plugs
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538363/alternatives-to-sleek-audio-cable

May 1, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #579 of 599

Quote:
Many thanks. I feel foolish for not searching the forums earlier.

You are welcome.  I find searching directly on head-fi difficult.  I usually have to google with the additional string "site:head-fi.org" (no quote).

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #583 of 599
they have been at an exorbitant price for awhile now.

i paid for an amount over my comfort zone too, but i thought to myself if i dont even get a pair now i might never get to experience them again in my lifetime. lol.

nothing about hyping crowds here. that's exactly how i feel and i wished technics and panasonic wouldnt withdraw from the music industry but it is an inevitable fact that they have already wrapped up almost all their business presence there.

my current thoughts accumulating up to this point after trying out a handful of different brand earphones: even if my hje900 breaks 1 day, i will only return to lower end panasonic models until i have truely experience another brand that can replicate or outdo panasonic's house sound and their single most unique feature is the perfect decay/fade out across the frequency spectrum. i been using the hje270 for over a year now and they are pretty good sound quality wise and it's how i like my music, good blend of laid-backness and sparkle depending on what the occasion calls for. it's not something that a clearer set of earphone can divert my attention away from, to put it very simply, the panasonic house sound makes their earphone feel alive and emotional and this is something that better technicality alone cannot replace when it comes to my preference.  :)

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #584 of 599
Quote:
they have been at an exorbitant price for awhile now.

i paid for an amount over my comfort zone too, but i thought to myself if i dont even get a pair now i might never get to experience them again in my lifetime. lol.

nothing about hyping crowds here. that's exactly how i feel and i wished technics and panasonic wouldnt withdraw from the music industry but it is an inevitable fact that they have already wrapped up almost all their business presence there.

my current thoughts accumulating up to this point after trying out a handful of different brand earphones: even if my hje900 breaks 1 day, i will only return to lower end panasonic models until i have truely experience another brand that can replicate or outdo panasonic's house sound and their single most unique feature is the perfect decay/fade out across the frequency spectrum. i been using the hje270 for over a year now and they are pretty good sound quality wise and it's how i like my music, good blend of laid-backness and sparkle depending on what the occasion calls for. it's not something that a clearer set of earphone can divert my attention away from, to put it very simply, the panasonic house sound makes their earphone feel alive and emotional and this is something that better technicality alone cannot replace when it comes to my preference.  :)

To be honest, I loved my pannies aswell, not because of their sound quality or sound signature, but because of their looks, build quality and detachable cables, one of my units broke (the inner coil) so I sold the other. If I could I would be another pair for no more than $100, but I rather buy something with better SQ.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #585 of 599
Quote:
To be honest, I loved my pannies aswell, not because of their sound quality or sound signature, but because of their looks, build quality and detachable cables, one of my units broke (the inner coil) so I sold the other. If I could I would be another pair for no more than $100, but I rather buy something with better SQ.

i see you own the sunrise xcited. i bought a pair of them recently and burnt in for 20 hours now. i think they are great, better clarity and more forwarded mids than my panasonic hje270 but dont you find the sunrise xcited lacking in sub-bass? moving on from a earphone with rumble to something like the xcited just makes it feel inadequate for me and makes music sound a little colder and technical.

the highs on the xcited is also more fatiguing and piercing, if i listen to the same volume on my hje270 and xcited, i get fatigued easily with the xcited but not much so with the hje270. but i realise that even with the treble settling down in sunrise xcited after more burn in, the sub-bass i've always enjoyed 
won't appear out of nowhere. thus i went back to purchasing the hje900. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back