Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Sep 24, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #556 of 599
Tuahogary that's what I was thinking regarding the hd600. As for the hd650 I'm afraid it might sound too veiled *shrug* I hope to have a chance to hear them both. I'd definitely appreciate that comparison. And yes the hje900 is quite an amazing iem. I wouldn't hav known to check it out if I hadn't auditioned my friend's pair. He's got good taste. These iems are definitely a steal for what they offer and it's too bad they're discontinued over here.

Lucozade wow I wasn't expecting you to say they're a tad forward. I'm intrigued. How's the soundstage and imaging?

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #557 of 599
Quote:
Wow well I'm glad I found these then haha. How are the pro 900s working out for you? And just out of curiosity how come you don't own the hje900s anymore?

1. I don't have the HJE900 anymore because I gave them to a special girl. :wink:

2. But it doesn't matter because the FX700 are almost the same with not as harsh highs and much better resolution and soundstage.

3. In terms of timbre, the PRO 900 fail completely. What they do better though, is giving energy. These are the qualities I associate with the HJE900:
- great timbre
- incredibly extended frequency range in both directions
- great presentation of energy in music
- nice soundstage
The PRO 900 does everything better except for the timbre - which is a huge bummer.

4. I have not heard the HD 600. I did not like the HD 650 at all, so I didn't even bother to give Sennheiser another a chance. Will keep my eyes open, though.
And about the Denon. I expect it to be much too warm. And I hate warm ear-/headphones.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #558 of 599
1. Nice!

2. That's good to hear. How's the isolation on the fx700? Better than the hje's?

3. You know I had a feeling that the pro 900s sounded exceptional except for timbre. Ultrasones definitely have their own unique sound.

4. Which then leads me to one of the Senns. What didn't you like about the 650s? I imagine by the description that they may sound similar to the hje's in regards to the amount of bass but definitely not in treble as the treble is more laid back/rolled off on the 650s (which I'm not particularly enthusiastic about). Some people say they don't lack treble though. I read hd600s were more neutral in every way with slightly less bass and more treble extension. Which sounds like my cup of tea as it's said to be more versatile.

As for denons, I would definitely have to read up on them. If the lower-end denons have the same amount of warmth as the higher-end denons then I am not sure I would like them either. I tend to like my headphones to be pretty balanced and as realistic in tonality as possible.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #559 of 599
Funny, I tried my friend's Denon D1001 for a week and it was actually quite impressive for its price ($150). Timbre was quite accurate, maybe not as amazing as the HJE900 and EX1000 but still very good for a budget headphone any headphones I've heard in any price range. Definitely better timbre than my AD900 and the SRH840 and possibly most headphones. The sound signature is also very balanced and tbh, I couldn't find a lot of faults with it. Perhaps it reminded me of the Xcape IE but with better tonality and energy. In fact it had quite a lot more energy than IEMs but that's what I should expect from a full size can. It is also reasonably detailed, not overly so like the AD900 but more than enough.

If you can try it, I recommend you do. Somehow they're not very popular here but I definitely didn't expect it to do so well especially for their price.

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #560 of 599
@Roma, 2. No 

@Tuah, What other IEMS have you heard 
blink.gif

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #562 of 599
Tuahogary how's the treble on the d1001s vs. The hje's? I had the d1100s and as great as they sounded the recessed mids never let me connect to the music that well. Probably because of the powerful bass. I'm interested in the d2000's and now you're getting me interested in the d1001s (for portable use...I also wonder how they'd compare to the ms400). I was sure I wouldn't be interested in denons again but if the timbre is comparable to the hje's I'll have to try them.

Thanks Confispect!

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #563 of 599
@ roma 101, The ah5000 has a good sound stage with more depth that any iem i have , can not compair to other headphones as the denon is my first full sized can and only had it a few days now, as you can see from my signature i am an iem man at heart. Imaging on the whole is very good and is equal to most of my better iems, maybe the w4 is better at precise imaging though but not by a huge amount .

The 5000 does have a warm, rich full sound to its bass but it does not bleed into the midrange like on the sennheiser iem's i have.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #564 of 599

Quote:
@confispect Check my profile, I've heard plenty of top tiers just not customs except for some demo units. And plenty of demo headphones including the LCD2, DX1000, K702, HD800 and so on. Call me crazy yes, but I don't think the D1001 gets enough credit here.

Weird I checked and didn't see all of that and no no no your not crazy I'm doing it to cross-reference with mines. So do you think they sound better then the IE8, and UM3X? And if so why.

@Roma, NP.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #565 of 599

Quote:
Tuahogary how's the treble on the d1001s vs. The hje's? I had the d1100s and as great as they sounded the recessed mids never let me connect to the music that well. Probably because of the powerful bass. I'm interested in the d2000's and now you're getting me interested in the d1001s (for portable use...I also wonder how they'd compare to the ms400). I was sure I wouldn't be interested in denons again but if the timbre is comparable to the hje's I'll have to try them.

The treble is prominent on the D1001. They're not recessed at all. Detail is there and I don't think I heard any sibilance. So in a way it's actually better than the HJE900. HJE900's treble isn't very good tbh. Maybe the D1001 won't sound as sloppy which can be quite good for rock music and splashy cymbals, which I think no other IEMs beat the HJE900 at. As you can see from the graph below, the D1001 is nothing like the D1100 and is closer to the D2000 if anything. I've not heard the MS400 so I cannot comment on that. The D1001 will not sound as lifelike as the HJE900 but still very respectable. Still better than the more expensive AD900 and SRH840 as I said. Most headphones, low or high end have a certain coloration; some like the HJE900 and D1001 just happen to have very little or no coloration at all. Plus at that price, you won't lose much even if you don't like them.

I'd like to add as well, the Fostex T50RP also has one of the best timbre I've ever heard on headphones, but they have less energy than the D1001. They are very clean and balanced though and will make my AD900 sound grainy in comparison. Again, they are not expensive and at least they do get some recognition here on Head-Fi so you can look them up.

Quote:
Weird I checked and didn't see all of that and no no no your not crazy I'm doing it to cross-reference with mines. So do you think they sound better then the IE8, and UM3X? And if so why.

@Roma, NP.

I only list the gear that I was lucky enough to try for at least a week at controlled conditions at home. It just isn't fair to judge some demo units by listening to them for few minutes at a noisy meet. 

I'm not sure if it's okay to compare IEMs to full size cans, we know the pros and cons of both worlds. To be fair, it was a very long time since I last heard the IE8 and they didn't really impress me. I thought the imaging was a bit artificially too far away (as is the AD900) and the bass was simply poor. Boomy, uncontrolled and not very much detail. On the other hand, I just sold my UM3x two weeks ago and personally I think they're not very good either. Really small and 2D soundstage, bass is better than the IE8 but pales in comparison to the W4 or EX1000. Mids are a strength of all Westones though and the UM3x didn't disappoint. Both the IE8 and UM3x are heavily colored. If you know me, even a little coloration annoys me and timbre is one of the most important thing I look for in any headphone / IEM.

The D1001 on the other hand sounds eerily similar to the EX1000. I'm just not sure why and considering how cheap it is I thought my ears have gone bad. The biggest difference is the energy in them unlike the more romantic presentation of the EX1000. They do sound balanced and detail retrieval is above average. (More impressions above) So in a nutshell, yes I think the D1001 is better than the UM3x and IE8.

To the OP, sorry if I'm derailing the thread. I'm happy to keep this conversation elsewhere if it goes too far away from the HJE900.

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #566 of 599
So I changed my wanted classified from an MS400 to the D1001. I read that the MS400 had rolled off treble a while ago which didn't sound that great but I was still willing to try it while also getting my gf a circumaural portable. BUT if I'll be looking into more expensive denons in the near future maybe I figured I should get another taste of the Denon flavor (without recessed mids like the d1100) to see how I like it. I'll also keep the fostex in mind.

Lucozade thanks for your impressions. I'll definitely be reading up more on the higher end denons as well as the D2000s. If I can find timbre as rich as the hje's or close to it I'll be happy.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #567 of 599
I don't remember great timbre when auditioning the AH-D2000. I also had the Panas at the time.
Best timbre from a fullsize was with Beyerdynamic. But they sound dry and precise, not lush, full and lively like the HJE900.

Please let me know how it goes!

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #568 of 599
Will do. Do you remember which beyerdynamic that was? Yeah there's something about the hje's that just breathes life into the music for me. I'm glad that I found them. Now I realize what I want more than anything out of a headphone. Kind of a blessing and a curse haha.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #569 of 599
Yes, sadly I remember. It was the almighty T1. :)
But I also had the DT-990 at the time. The timbre was similar when 'transformed' to a DT-880 via EQ.

I could not enjoy the 990 without EQ, though. That's why it had to go.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #570 of 599
I didn't buy the HD600 in the end but I got the AKG K501. Now this headphones nail timbre! Depends on what kind of music you listen to, obviously these are not the best for rock. Also got myself the Panasonic HTF600 which only cost $30 in the states and timbre-wise isn't bad at all. Should come close to the HJE900. At that price, it is amazing and won't hurt your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back