Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Nov 1, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #406 of 599

Quote:
I agree.  I feel like these are evening out, but I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to the sound or what.  

On another note, I bought some of the Sleek Audio cables for these and I'm not impressed.  The mids are more grainy and the treble sparkle is gone.  Also, when I'm laying down, if I turn my head a certain way the sound will drop out of one channel altogether.  I compared the pins that plug in to the iem and the ones on the stock cables are a little bit longer than the ones on the sleeks.  The difference is maybe a millimeter or two, but I'm thinkin this might have something to do with the sound being different.  Maybe there isn't a good enough contact between the cable and iem with the sleeks?  Or maybe I just got a bum set of cables, idk.  I'm still gonna keep the sleek cables as a back up just in case.

Question, where did you get your SA cables from? My original SA cables, which I got from J&R, died out recently, and they actually had had similar issues to waht you described. One cable side was always wonky, but usually not enough to be a nuisance. I bought new ones from B&H a couple of days ago, and they are quite different. For one, I don't have the same issue where one side was somewhat loose. Secondly, they sound much better. Like, they seriously do, pretty sure it's no mental stuff here. I think this might have to do with the fact that the contacts had been going bad with both my old SA cable, and my original HJE900 cable. I A/B'd them with the original cables, which were somewhat dying after one of my dog's chewed on them, and the sound was clearly better off of the new SA cables.

Additionally, the cables seem to be constructed differently. Whereas the SA cable I got from J&R has a very plasticky covering and a good amount of memory character, the SA cable I got from B&H has a more rubbery texture to it, and much less memory character/stiffness. Unfortunately, it came partially defective out of the box. It seems the cable around the main connector is a bit messed up, as it loses/gains sound depending on if I move it. I stupidly had thrown away the reciept and box before checking the cable, as when I bought it, I was late to work, wanted to hear the cables, and didn't feel like carrying around the stuff. If I'm lucky B&H will still replace it, if not I guess I'll buy another one.

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #407 of 599
The J&R cable may have been a old version of the cable. Your description of the cable I got sounds like what I have but I can't check anything since I do not have them in my possession right now. I bought mine from B&H and kept the receipt since I saw it had a 1 yr warranty on it from Sleek Audio.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #409 of 599
So one of the drivers of my HJE crapped out a month ago, in a rather weird way. It performed fine above ~2kHz, but testing it with a sine sweep it showed that the lower the frequency, the quieter it got, in a linear manner. Swapping the left and right drivers showed that the cable was fine. Either something clogged the sound nozzle, or gawd knows what happened.

No worries, it was still under warranty, and Amazon UK replaced it quickly and without any questions asked. My new HJE arrived five days ago.

Now my old HJE were a gift from James444, and were well 'burned in' by him. Not to mention I never heard them with the original cheapo meshes in place. I got them modded by James444, with some foam stuffed down the nozzle, and that's how I liked them and immensely enjoyed their sound. For the review I wrote in the first post of this thread I did take the foam out in the name of science and journalism as well, and it was ok sounding too, just a bit too bright. But in general they sounded amazing to my ears with the foam in place.

Now these new HJE Amazon sent me are quite something different. They are as amazingly dynamic, fast, punchy, precise, and clear as I remember them to be - right up there with the best of them - but their frequency response is way off, from how I remember them. Right out of the box they have a really recessed midrange, and treble that is WAY too bright to be bearable.

I will of course use the same foam I used in my old pair if that doesn't change over time, but I find it curious that there is such a perceived difference between the two pairs of HJE... or maybe it's just the time between sending them in and getting the new ones? Nah, that can't be, even if the human auditory memory isn't that great. Either way, I will continue using them as-is for some time, just checking if they - or my brain - changes.

On my Rockboxed Clip+ I'm using a treble setting of -7dB for now, which makes them sound similar to how I remembered my old pair sounding flat, without any EQ. On my Winamp setup I tinkered a bit with a good graphic EQ, and this is what I found sounding good to my ears, for now:

83507247040893863181.png

Well, just a heads up on my current situation, and I will update my odyssey with these new HJE, if anyone's still interested.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #410 of 599

Quote:
So one of the drivers of my HJE crapped out a month ago, in a rather weird way. It performed fine above ~2kHz, but testing it with a sine sweep it showed that the lower the frequency, the quieter it got, in a linear manner. Swapping the left and right drivers showed that the cable was fine. Either something clogged the sound nozzle, or gawd knows what happened.

No worries, it was still under warranty, and Amazon UK replaced it quickly and without any questions asked. My new HJE arrived five days ago.

Now my old HJE were a gift from James444, and were well 'burned in' by him. Not to mention I never heard them with the original cheapo meshes in place. I got them modded by James444, with some foam stuffed down the nozzle, and that's how I liked them and immensely enjoyed their sound. For the review I wrote in the first post of this thread I did take the foam out in the name of science and journalism as well, and it was ok sounding too, just a bit too bright. But in general they sounded amazing to my ears with the foam in place.

Now these new HJE Amazon sent me are quite something different. They are as amazingly dynamic, fast, punchy, precise, and clear as I remember them to be - right up there with the best of them - but their frequency response is way off, from how I remember them. Right out of the box they have a really recessed midrange, and treble that is WAY too bright to be bearable.

I will of course use the same foam I used in my old pair if that doesn't change over time, but I find it curious that there is such a perceived difference between the two pairs of HJE... or maybe it's just the time between sending them in and getting the new ones? Nah, that can't be, even if the human auditory memory isn't that great. Either way, I will continue using them as-is for some time, just checking if they - or my brain - changes.

On my Rockboxed Clip+ I'm using a treble setting of -7dB for now, which makes them sound similar to how I remembered my old pair sounding flat, without any EQ. On my Winamp setup I tinkered a bit with a good graphic EQ, and this is what I found sounding good to my ears, for now:

83507247040893863181.png

Well, just a heads up on my current situation, and I will update my odyssey with these new HJE, if anyone's still interested.

Lol.  I enjoyed how you managed to avoid a highly controversial topic around these parts.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #412 of 599
I think you should put the foam back in after a while. I found their midrange recessed although not way recessed but slightly. The treble was harsh when I got them but it wasn't so much where it was too much but I think I'm more tolerant to harsh treble than most others. I bought them with an intention of selling them shortly after wards but haven't been able to sell them. I even bought a Sleek Audio SA6 cable for them since their cable is too short for my uses esp portable.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #413 of 599
I think with a combination of burn-in and the proper foam amount, things should get back to normal. I had the same experience out-of-the-box, except I didn't find the mids that recessed.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #414 of 599

Quote:
What did I "avoid"? And what's so "lol"-worthy about my post?

The 'L-O-L' is referring to a perceived avoidance of the topic known as 'B-u-r-n-i-n'

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #415 of 599
Thats funny your EQ settings are pretty much the same as mine 
wink.gif

Quote:

83507247040893863181.png

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #416 of 599
Good review. I am enjoying my Panasonic HJE900 phones even though I got charged full original RRP of £199.95 for them at the Apple store in London:frowning2:

The sound on those phones are very detailed and the bass is tight and solid too and are great on my Cowon J3
smily_headphones1.gif

Art

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #417 of 599

[size=medium]

heyy guys i was planning on getting the HJE-900 for a while now,finally saved up enough money 
smily_headphones1.gif
 , i was going to order them from J&K until i read this post about their filters falling off.....after reading the post...i started thinking and all these questions started popping up,are there any IEM's which do not use filters? if i was searching for a upgrade from HJE-900's which ones would you recommend?,i might as well spend a couple of bucks more on a IEM that doest have a issue with filters, and finally since thanks giving is a few weeks away would you think it would be better deal if i buy them then??

i am sorry for the loads of questions, there are the 1st IEM's i am getting so i wanna get a good pair.

[/size]

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #419 of 599

Quote:

[size=medium]

heyy guys i was planning on getting the HJE-900 for a while now,finally saved up enough money 
smily_headphones1.gif
 , i was going to order them from J&K until i read this post about their filters falling off.....after reading the post...i started thinking and all these questions started popping up,are there any IEM's which do not use filters? if i was searching for a upgrade from HJE-900's which ones would you recommend?,i might as well spend a couple of bucks more on a IEM that doest have a issue with filters, and finally since thanks giving is a few weeks away would you think it would be better deal if i buy them then??

i am sorry for the loads of questions, there are the 1st IEM's i am getting so i wanna get a good pair.

[/size]

Sighs, first off there not FILTERS, it is a piece of mesh that does not affect the sound at all. It's just a piece of mesh to keep earwax out nothing more nothing less. Now if you had something like the Phonaks it would be a different story...

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #420 of 599
Actually it is a filter and there should be a difference with them off and on but it will only be a small change. They are both filters and one is meant to change how the earphone sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back