Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Oct 17, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #376 of 599

Quote:
Wow, thanks.  I'm gonna have to try that.  Also, both of the little mesh filters have fallen off already.  Maybe I've been switching tips too much, idk.

The first time I tried to switch tips the filters fell off + the fact that many people have reported the same issue = it's not you, but a flaw in the Panas.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #377 of 599
Well my filters have stayed on fine with many tip changing except the one time when I removed the filters myself to add some foam before putting it back on.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #378 of 599
The filters falling off have been a quality control issue for a while. It doesn't really affect the sound and is easily remedied, but it can be be bothersome. It seems that some of the more recent shipments have the issue fixed, but there still seem to be people with the issue of the filters falling off. I would just get some really low density foam and stuff a thin layer into the nozzle if you just want to protect the drivers(what I did), or you could add some more and/or thicker foam to tame the treble and bring the mids more forward.

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #379 of 599

Quote:
I would just get some really low density foam and stuff a thin layer into the nozzle if you just want to protect the drivers(what I did), or you could add some more and/or thicker foam to tame the treble and bring the mids more forward.

I didn't have foam so I used some material like what is found inside stuffed animals.  I'm sort of worried that fibers will get into the drivers and mess things up.  Where can I get some of this foam?

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #380 of 599
Hello big_lou. I really don't know how to answer that question because there are so many variables to take into account. Everyone's ear canals are not shaped the same, so the fit and sound will vary. I think in general, based on my experiences, the wider shorter nozzle will allow more treble details, but you are also risking the sibilance with that type of nozzle. But then again, I have a thinner diameter nozzle on my SM3 (Shure silicons) and it seems to bring the treble out for me more that the wider diameter Shure olive.

AS far as the Phonak, you will have to decide if the sound is acceptable to you. It's perfect for my ears as I wanted the treble extension, but at the same time I wanted the HJE900's treble tamed a great bit. The Phonak does that for me. You said "the sibilance is gong..." So is that worth it for you? Do you still the other details you enjoy when listening through iems? If so, there is no issue. As for the fit, yet they some tips are designed to fit snuggly like that. So I know of know detrimental effects as you asked. Either you liked the sound or you don't. Tips and how they affect sound on an iem is a personal decision in your enjoyment of that sound or not. It sounds the best to me with the Phonak, so I recommended them. This means some amy find the sound great with these tips the way that I do, others may not. Again, listen and decide is you like the sound. If you don't, take your time and work the tips off of the nozzle and find a tips that satisfies you. I hope it works out for you. Please, anyone else with some insights chime in to help our buddy big_lou. Cheers!! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Hi ericp10,  as I indicated in my PM to you, the diameter of the Audeo silicone tips is about 1/3 the size of the 900's nozzle, so getting them on was a b***h!!!  The sibilance is gone, for the most part, but I feel that some of the great highs are also gone and the phone sounds a little muffled now. 

Sorry for the amauterish pics but you can see how the Audeo tip tube is also almost twice as long as the 900's nozzle and so the tip narrows back down toward the output.  You can also see the difference between openings using the Shure olive foam tips compared to the Audeo tips (large size).

What kind of detrimental effect would you expect from having a narrower output tube and also further away from the tip of the phone nozzle?  I thought I would get greatly reduced bass but it all seems to be there but only with the Audeo tips over the ears as this is the only way I can get a decent seal with the smaller Audeo tips.

What do you think about cutting the Audeo tip so it is the same length as the 900's nozzle to place the driver closer to the eardrum?  Would this bring back some of the sibilance that is now gone?

Any feedback is most welcomed!!

TIA.

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #381 of 599

Quote:
Hello big_lou. I really don't know how to answer that question because there are so many variables to take into account. Everyone's ear canals are not shaped the same, so the fit and sound will vary. I think in general, based on my experiences, the wider shorter nozzle will allow more treble details, but you are also risking the sibilance with that type of nozzle. But then again, I have a thinner diameter nozzle on my SM3 (Shure silicons) and it seems to bring the treble out for me more that the wider diameter Shure olive.

AS far as the Phonak, you will have to decide if the sound is acceptable to you. It's perfect for my ears as I wanted the treble extension, but at the same time I wanted the HJE900's treble tamed a great bit. The Phonak does that for me. You said "the sibilance is gong..." So is that worth it for you? Do you still the other details you enjoy when listening through iems? If so, there is no issue. As for the fit, yet they some tips are designed to fit snuggly like that. So I know of know detrimental effects as you asked. Either you liked the sound or you don't. Tips and how they affect sound on an iem is a personal decision in your enjoyment of that sound or not. It sounds the best to me with the Phonak, so I recommended them. This means some amy find the sound great with these tips the way that I do, others may not. Again, listen and decide is you like the sound. If you don't, take your time and work the tips off of the nozzle and find a tips that satisfies you. I hope it works out for you. Please, anyone else with some insights chime in to help our buddy big_lou. Cheers!! 
beerchug.gif

Thanks Eric,

I went ahead and shortened the output tube of the Phonak Audeo tips.  As you can see from the 2nd pic, the 900's nozzle is much closer to the end of the output tube now, which is also much wider than before.  Surprinsingly, very little of the old sibilance is back and the bass is still very good.  As far as I can tell the vent ports are not blocked.  As before, I can only get good isolation and SQ when worn over the ears. 

Could all this be just a case of preconceived notions?  I guess I'll find out soon enough ...

I think I like thess tips as much as the Olives now and they are easier to insert.  Thanks for turning me on to them.

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #382 of 599
No problem @ big_lou. In the end it's really all about whatever works out best for your ears and sounds the best to you buddy. Now, I do think you will get a better fit if you find some Sleek SA6 cables and use those instead of the stock cables. Those long metal poles on the stock cables impeded me from getting a good fit over my ears and none at all hanging down. The SA6 has been just perfect for the HJE900 for me. Good luck and continue to update us.

Quote:
Thanks Eric,

I went ahead and shortened the output tube of the Phonak Audeo tips.  As you can see from the 2nd pic, the 900's nozzle is much closer to the end of the output tube now, which is also much wider than before.  Surprinsingly, very little of the old sibilance is back and the bass is still very good.  As far as I can tell the vent ports are not blocked.  As before, I can only get good isolation and SQ when worn over the ears. 

Could all this be just a case of preconceived notions?  I guess I'll find out soon enough ...

I think I like thess tips as much as the Olives now and they are easier to insert.  Thanks for turning me on to them.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #383 of 599

Quote:
No problem @ big_lou. In the end it's really all about whatever works out best for your ears and sounds the best to you buddy. Now, I do think you will get a better fit if you find some Sleek SA6 cables and use those instead of the stock cables. Those long metal poles on the stock cables impeded me from getting a good fit over my ears and none at all hanging down. The SA6 has been just perfect for the HJE900 for me. Good luck and continue to update us.

I have been wanting to get the SA6 cables but I have read about the quality issues they have.  It looks like Sleek Audio will replace the old ones (2009 version?) with new ones (2010 version?) if they break but I don't want to go through the hazzle.  Did you have any quality problems with yours?  Did you get them directly from Sleek Audio or from a reseller?  I wonder if SA will replace defective cables if bought from a reseller.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #384 of 599
I got mine the same place eric did which is B&H. I got mine locally at the store however. I haven't had any issues with the quality of the cable from the couple weeks of using them but I don't use the HJE900 every day.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #385 of 599
I actually got mine from www.soundearphones.com. And no quality issues whatsoever... I think I've owned mine for nearly a month at this point.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #386 of 599
I stand corrected then
smily_headphones1.gif
Considering 2010 is almost over I'd imagine that the 2009 version is no longer being sold? I kept my receipt from B&H just in case I ever needed it since they do come with a 1 year warranty.

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #387 of 599
Oct 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #388 of 599
Yes, that is the right cable. And I say it makes them sound better, but many here have suggested I'm crazy for suggesting it (or perhaps that I'm just plain crazy anyway. Take your pick). Those are much more comfortable for the ears than those stock cables, and you can get a better seal.

Quote:

http://www.soundearphones.com/accessories/sleek-audio-replacement-cable

Hmm is this the right cable, I found another one like the one on the Pana's doubt that's the one I should be getting as they wouldlt help at all. Also does it change the sound any? 

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #389 of 599

Quote:
Yes, that is the right cable. And I say it makes them sound better, but many here have suggested I'm crazy for suggesting it (or perhaps that I'm just plain crazy anyway. Take your pick). Those are much more comfortable for the ears than those stock cables, and you can get a better seal.

Ordering in 5-4-3-2-1 ding ding ding, ok there on the way, lol when you say sound better what do they improve on. Bass, mids, highs, soundstage? 

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #390 of 599
I think I get fairly the same seal but better comfort. No longer does the cable put that much pressure on my ears since going over the ear was a bit difficult due to the length of the metal connector and the cable is also a much better length as the stock cable was too short for me and probably most people. I don't hear any change in sound but to me that's a good thing. I compared them a bit and didn't hear anything different and I'm fine with that as I find that they sound good already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back