Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Jul 21, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #856 of 920
For anyone who has the Panasonic HJE900...

Its pretty well known that their tiny mesh protecting them against ear wax and other intrusions is very prone to accidentally get dislogded / lost.

Once lost, likelyhood of stuff getting inside and wrecking them rises sharply.

Well, by accident, I was digging around for new foam tips and found a new version called Tx-400.  They are the usual memory foam tips, but with a built-in earwax barrier.  So long as they stay on, your earphones are well protected.  I also found that The strong treble of the HJE900's are not noticeably compromised.

(no, I don't work for Comply... :p  )

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #857 of 920
Quote:

Modded T50RPs sound amazing. I am saving up for some Mad Dog T50RP modded headphones. Heard them at the meet, and those are guaranteed to be my next closed set. It is not even a question in my mind. $300 for premium sound is a steal. 

Pretty sure they they lowered their price to $250 recently as well. I'm sure they sound great. I got me a pair of T50RPs that B is in the process of modding. So far they've got some real potential.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #858 of 920
Quote:
For anyone who has the Panasonic HJE900...

Its pretty well known that their tiny mesh protecting them against ear wax and other intrusions is very prone to accidentally get dislogded / lost.

Once lost, likelyhood of stuff getting inside and wrecking them rises sharply.

Well, by accident, I was digging around for new foam tips and found a new version called Tx-400.  They are the usual memory foam tips, but with a built-in earwax barrier.  So long as they stay on, your earphones are well protected.  I also found that The strong treble of the HJE900's are not noticeably compromised.

(no, I don't work for Comply... :p  )

Thanks for this btw!

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #859 of 920
In case there are any Hong Kong users of these amazing earphones experiencing the same problems as I did, here's a tip that will hopefully be useful.

I've been using my HJE-900s for a year non-stop, and one day the right earpiece just started to sound like stuttering, then would eventually lose 95% of all the sound that's meant to come out from the right side. Upon detaching the two earpieces and switching right to left and the left one to the right one, I realised that it's a problem of the cable rather than the driver.

I rang the local customer service hotline 2406-5555, and they said they can order a replacement cable for me for $320 (but it will take a month, so I am waiting). Not cheap (~40 USD), but much better than buying a new pair. Plus I've auditioned several other top-tier universal and non of them have the sound signature that I love from these panasonic's. Plus these are very hard to get in UK and Hong Kong these days, and considerably more expensive than a couple of years ago.

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #860 of 920
Quote:
Plus these are very hard to get in UK and Hong Kong these days, and considerably more expensive than a couple of years ago.

The prices in China actually went down. But due to the weak Euro it still costs more than two years ago:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=18278304735&ali_trackid=2:mm_14507416_2297358_8935934:1354185736_3k4_488277454

Not as good as the Play.com deals that used to pop up. Really miss those!

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #861 of 920
haha, yes. I got mines through the play.com deals back then when I was still in London, but they are still more expensive than the J&R sales a few years ago

Taobao really puts me off. The user interface, the payment system makes me uncomfortable )=

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #863 of 920
highly underrated earphones. i speak from experience. although, after a while, the sharpness in treble and the heaviness of the bass gets a bit much. 
definitely. These got overshadowed by some other headphones. But they really didn't get the exposure they deserved.

I'm heartbroken that my pair died. I went full upgrade and am now preparing to get nearly a TOTL universal

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #864 of 920
Bought them 3 years ago. Still works like a charm. Though ran into multiple problems with the cable, 3 to be precise.

Just got a pair of the original cables from Japan and lost the stock tips before the cable arrived.

Picked up a pair of Meelec Bi-Flange Balanced Gray Tips from a fellow head-fier. And my-oh-my it feels like I am listening to a completely different beast!

These do really love a larger opening! It wasn't as if the stock tips were any bad. The Medium ones fit me perfectly, but the bass really overshadowed the rest of the spectrum. I mainly listen to rock/metal and the sound always made me drift towards the low-bass rumble.

But now with the Meelec tips, though I am not getting a perfect fit, but somehow the soundstage opened up a lot! The bass is pushed back, and the treble is sparkly! Metal just got a lot more metal!

The stock tips made me always concentrate on the accuracy of the phones, but now with the Bi-Flanges, I am enjoying the music!

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #866 of 920
Quote:
Bought them 3 years ago. Still works like a charm. Though ran into multiple problems with the cable, 3 to be precise.

Just got a pair of the original cables from Japan and lost the stock tips before the cable arrived.

Picked up a pair of Meelec Bi-Flange Balanced Gray Tips from a fellow head-fier. And my-oh-my it feels like I am listening to a completely different beast!

These do really love a larger opening! It wasn't as if the stock tips were any bad. The Medium ones fit me perfectly, but the bass really overshadowed the rest of the spectrum. I mainly listen to rock/metal and the sound always made me drift towards the low-bass rumble.

But now with the Meelec tips, though I am not getting a perfect fit, but somehow the soundstage opened up a lot! The bass is pushed back, and the treble is sparkly! Metal just got a lot more metal!

The stock tips made me always concentrate on the accuracy of the phones, but now with the Bi-Flanges, I am enjoying the music!

They really do love a larger opening. I used the large bi-flanges from HiFiMan and they worked like a charm. Though I used the Sleek Audio SA-6 cable so I could wear them over the ear (they have a 90 degree termination on the side of the phones). It got better fit and isolation when I did. 

Still sad they're gone... Maybe one day I'll get the drivers reshelled since I'm pretty sure it isn't the driver but the connection that died for my set... But I'm enjoying my ASG-2 (crazy big upgrade that really sounds nothing alike but sounds better in almost every way :p )

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #867 of 920
After the original cable went poof! I did buy the Sleek Audio cables. They didn't even last me 15 days!

I had to wait 6 months for someone to go to Japan and get me those damn cables!

About that reshelling, what costs are associated with it? One of the earbuds I think has a loose connection and only works when the cable connector is tightly inserted into the bud. I have fixed it with a tape, but I very much doubt it's gonna work long enough!

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #868 of 920

Here it is for me. The SA6 cables don't really do much in SQ

I just bought a SA6 cable hoping they 'steer' the cable around behind the ear as the picture above depicts better than the standard supplied cable. Anyone do this with the SA6 cable? Does the cable stay in play better?
For me carrying the cable behind the ear is a must. I hope I haven't wasted $30 for fun...

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #869 of 920

I just bought a SA6 cable hoping they 'steer' the cable around behind the ear as the picture above depicts better than the standard supplied cable. Anyone do this with the SA6 cable? Does the cable stay in play better?
For me carrying the cable behind the ear is a must. I hope I haven't wasted $30 for fun...

When I had them, that's how I wore them. But $30 seems steep... I got them for $15 from B&H... 

I used the SA6 cable and RE0 biflange tips. Amazing isolation, comfort and they stayed in impeccably well with low microphonics worn over the ear style. I'm not sure how the above poster destroyed the cable after only 15 days though. They constantly lasted me a year (though granted I baby my gear a bit). But yeah, there is no reason it should only last you 15 days. It doesn't improve sound, but it doesn't necessarily have a negative affect either. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #870 of 920
I'm in Australia, so I wasn't getting many google search hits other than their official store, still $6 for shipping i thought was ok.
I wear my straight plugs over ears currently, just want something that fits more snuggly that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back