Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Nov 9, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #587 of 920
So all of today I thought I had ruined my CZ's, I could hear a tinny distorion all day and thought it was because I had blasted one of my songs too loud to test how high the Pana's go without cracking. Came home and found the mesh had come off in both phones oddly enough, which I was failry concerned about. Then I decided to try the foam mod and lo and behold, they sound even better than before 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #589 of 920

Quote:
Are the M9's a better fit than the M11/M11+'s? I'm not sure which one to order

They cost like $5 a pack, get them all 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #591 of 920
Got my m9 balanced and M11+ tips yesterday. Spent some time last night "tip rolling" and they are indeed more comfortable than stock. Here are my impressions on sound quality (source is sansa clip+, listened to mostly female vocal/pop,r&B,folk rock tracks):

m9 balanced: (+) better soundstage and clarity than both m11+/stock, (+) better bass impact than stock (perhaps due to better seal), (+) more forward vocal midrange than m11+/stock, (-) my longtime nemesis sssibliance is still an issue!

m11+ (double flange): (++) tolerable sibilance even though its still there! (+) better sound separation than m9/stock. (-) muddier sound, less sparkle than m9/stock, (-) same recessed vocal midrange as stock

I found the m9 balanced to be a clear improvement over stock, but m11+ had some tradeoffs. The m9 balanced tips with no or tolerable sibilance would make the CZs the perfect iem for me. I still am hesitant to do foam mod as I feel like there will be tradeoffs between reduced sibilance and the sparkle. It'll be interesting to hear how other's impressions of these tips compare to mine. Fun times.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #592 of 920

Quote:
Got my m9 balanced and M11+ tips yesterday. Spent some time last night "tip rolling" and they are indeed more comfortable than stock. Here are my impressions on sound quality (source is sansa clip+, listened to mostly female vocal/pop,r&B,folk rock tracks):

m9 balanced: (+) better soundstage and clarity than both m11+/stock, (+) better bass impact than stock (perhaps due to better seal), (+) more forward vocal midrange than m11+/stock, (-) my longtime nemesis sssibliance is still an issue!

m11+ (double flange): (++) tolerable sibilance even though its still there! (+) better sound separation than m9/stock. (-) muddier sound, less sparkle than m9/stock, (-) same recessed vocal midrange as stock

I found the m9 balanced to be a clear improvement over stock, but m11+ had some tradeoffs. The m9 balanced tips with no or tolerable sibilance would make the CZs the perfect iem for me. I still am hesitant to do foam mod as I feel like there will be tradeoffs between reduced sibilance and the sparkle. It'll be interesting to hear how other's impressions of these tips compare to mine. Fun times.

I have yet to get these, I will purchase sooner or later.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #593 of 920
I personally feel that some sibilance and somewaht recessed mids is just a fact of life with Panas and a price to pay for other qualities like unique sound sig and top build, all on a cheap. No amount of voodoo with tips and burn-in will get rid of it. Foam mod and EQ can tame it but inevitably lead to other sound compromises. 

Ultimately with Panas it's take it or leave it proposition. For the price I'm willing to suffer
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #594 of 920

Quote:
I personally feel that some sibilance and somewaht recessed mids is just a fact of life with Panas and a price to pay for other qualities like unique sound sig and top build, all on a cheap. No amount of voodoo with tips and burn-in will get rid of it. Foam mod and EQ can tame it but inevitably lead to other sound compromises. 

Ultimately with Panas it's take it or leave it proposition. For the price I'm willing to suffer
smily_headphones1.gif

I disagree, different ears I guess, but the foam mod and burn-in was all it took. Whether driver or mind wise the Panas sound signature is not bothersome at all. No harsh highs and no recessed mids, always remember what other people fail to remember. And that is crap in, crap out that good mastered recordings at the highest bitrate and get rewarded. Throw bullcrap and the and the whole frequency suffers, the Pana's are very revealing. I see people complaining about the same things I complained about on day one. But I gave it time, mental and physical. And now they have a spot in my collection, so just try to give your brain more time to adjust to the signature. Remeber the Pana's are revealing feed them bad mastered records and they will vomit in your face.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #596 of 920

Thanks for the review! Just ordered both as well, look forward to hearing the Pana's with these tips!
Quote:

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #597 of 920
I agree in part to both albau and Confispect. As I get more into this hobby, I am learning to let go of the "one size fits all" attitude in terms of finding a headphone that does everything well, and learning to appreciate each headphone set for its strengths and unique sound signature. Despite its shortcomings, there have been many times where I've simply been wowed by the CZs.

To Confispect's point, I agree - there are many intervening variables in the audio chain that modify the overall listening experience, such as quality of source and "different ears." In terms of the latter, I've found my ears to be quite sensitive to high pitch noise. A while back my friend and I were listening to a story on NPR about that new device that plays a harsh high pitch noise to scare away nucklehead teens. NPR broadcasted the noise on air - I was able to hear it pretty well, but my friend said it was barely audible to him. Were both in our late 20s. Anyways, I think my sensitivity to high pitch noise may be reason why I am so bothered by the CZ's sibilance such that they are unbearable/unenjoyable on certain songs.

Daanish, I would love to hear your impressions once you get your tips.

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #598 of 920

Quote:
I agree in part to both albau and Confispect. As I get more into this hobby, I am learning to let go of the "one size fits all" attitude in terms of finding a headphone that does everything well, and learning to appreciate each headphone set for its strengths and unique sound signature. Despite its shortcomings, there have been many times where I've simply been wowed by the CZs.

To Confispect's point, I agree - there are many intervening variables in the audio chain that modify the overall listening experience, such as quality of source and "different ears." In terms of the latter, I've found my ears to be quite sensitive to high pitch noise. A while back my friend and I were listening to a story on NPR about that new device that plays a harsh high pitch noise to scare away nucklehead teens. NPR broadcasted the noise on air - I was able to hear it pretty well, but my friend said it was barely audible to him. Were both in our late 20s. Anyways, I think my sensitivity to high pitch noise may be reason why I am so bothered by the CZ's sibilance such that they are unbearable/unenjoyable on certain songs.

1+

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #599 of 920

Will do! I'm new to IEM's so am looking forward to experimenting with tips! 
Quote:

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #600 of 920
Agree with you guys on all points, especially on variations in human hearing, sound perception and physical fit and also on original recording garbage-in-garbage-out. My only point was that Panasonic acoustic engineering and chosen transducers are responsible for a large and given part of sound signature with all its pluses and faults. Simple mods, burn-in, EQ, tips all play role but can alter the sound basis only that much. But perception of what was achieved and severity of the original fault certainly varies wildly between individuals.

Formally Pana sound is extremely compromised by the purist standards of RE-0 or Phonaks PFE not speaking of Etys - not neutral, not balanced, colored, treble can be too hot, mids can be recessed, bass can be too overbearing, soundstage width is average. Only aspects where they really shine are probably amazing instrument separation and bass impact and texture.

But diffrent good or bad sound aspects when judged alone don't tell you the whole picture. Mentally acknowledging all the individual Panas faults I'm positively drawn and loving overall presentation. As opposed to my polite Phonaks, I every time look forward to putting Panas on and fire up some good ole rock-n-roll. There's something highly seductive in Panas very 80s Arena Rock "hooligan", in-your-face sound - big, brash, revealing, unrefined and inherently fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back