Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Oct 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #526 of 920
Read Napilopez and Ink's impression on the supertips.  Thinking to pull the trigger...  Was going to go for the Meelec, seems like a good value and option but I rather not tame the bass...

How do you guys in this thread find the supertips foam and gel in general?    worth the $$?

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #527 of 920
I just got mine and I'm finding they hiss quite a bit compared to my other earphones. I can hear it over the music a lot of the time, and it's quite annoying during quieter songs. Maybe I'm just sensitive, but to my ears the Klipsch S4 and RE0 don't hiss at all.

My sources are my USB soundcard on laptop (very little hiss) and Ipod classic. Thing is, the hiss all but disappears when using an amp on the Ipod (makes no difference with the laptop).

Is there anything I can do to reduce it?

Apart from this one problem, I love them.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #528 of 920

Quote:
Read Napilopez and Ink's impression on the supertips.  Thinking to pull the trigger...  Was going to go for the Meelec, seems like a good value and option but I rather not tame the bass...

How do you guys in this thread find the supertips foam and gel in general?    worth the $$?

I've settled on using the foam Supertips. They take away _most_ of the sibilance while retaining treble and details. The Complys were too much of a trade-off on the latter for me to be worth it in the long run.

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #529 of 920
They do hiss more than other IEMs I owned, more apparently on bitrate lower than 192kbps....

What are your sources at?

Quote:
I just got mine and I'm finding they hiss quite a bit compared to my other earphones. I can hear it over the music a lot of the time, and it's quite annoying during quieter songs. Maybe I'm just sensitive, but to my ears the Klipsch S4 and RE0 don't hiss at all.

My sources are my USB soundcard on laptop (very little hiss) and Ipod classic. Thing is, the hiss all but disappears when using an amp on the Ipod (makes no difference with the laptop).

Is there anything I can do to reduce it?

Apart from this one problem, I love them.

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #530 of 920
After two weeks of owning them and way over 50 hrs of usage (have stopped counting), I can say that sibilance doesn't bother me any more.  Supertips are quite expensive considering they are costing 25% of the IEM they will be fitted on....   But if it will fit and make HJE900 sound better, it may be worth the investment.

I like Monster's product, I've been using their stuff on my home stereo.   However, they are grossly over priced and over sponsored.  (monster gripe, wrong thread perhaps)

Quote:
I've settled on using the foam Supertips. They take away _most_ of the sibilance while retaining treble and details. The Complys were too much of a trade-off on the latter for me to be worth it in the long run.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #531 of 920

Quote:
Sony hybrids sound bad with these (reasons have been stated many times) even though it tames the treble. 

IMO, tip selection effect on sound has mostly to do with the fit of the tip in your ear -- that encompasses tip shape and material, size/shape of your ear canal, etc.  I spent $8 on the Meelec "Balanced" tips only to find them too big and flabby to fit my ear well.  When I did get them in my ear, it was usually a bad seal because the softer material buckled in my ear.

My best fit and sound for the HJE900 is coming with the stock tips, followed by the Sony Hybrids which does reduce the trebles a bit due to the smaller inner tube size.

I do have 2 gripes about the HJE900 accessories:  1) the chin slider is nearly useless, as it has plastic inside, not a more rubbery surface to grip the cord and actually stay in place;  2) why can't you think of adding a shirt clip -- how hard is that??

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #532 of 920
I just got new tips from MEElectronics (http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset5-m11bk-mee.htm), and WOW these make a huge difference.  I haven't decided if I prefer the double or triple flanges yet; the doubles sound more dynamic but the triples remove all traces of sibilance and warm up the sound considerably.  The triples actual make the HJE900's sound somewhat similar to my also beloved Atrios...

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #533 of 920
Just received the Pana’s right now!!! Tore apart the packaging and spent half an hour deciding what to hear first...Cryin’ - Joe Satriani....Oh!! such pure bliss...After a long and agonizing pain of more than 2 months...and having apprehensions after reading a few negative reviews...these seem really special...the Philips, Sony’s, Bose, and the Senn’s I have tried just don’t match up to them...

Initial impressions....Great Bass, very good detail and don’t notice the treble harshness yet(listening to Peaches En Regalia - Frank Zappa)...using the stock medium tips

Will keep posting

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #534 of 920
Lol my HJE900s are already paying for themselves. Got them a month and a half ago and my friend managed to get the cables slammed on by the door. Oh whats that? No man no need to pay me back $90 I got me some replacement cables
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #535 of 920
Yeah these are my first phones with replaceable cables, and I'm finding myself mystified as to why more phones aren't like this.  I guess companies would rather people buy a new pair of headphones when a cable craps out rather than just a cable.  I can't imagine how these could be better built!

Having listened to mine for awhile, I definitely can hear the treble harshness and sibilance that others have mentioned, but a simple switch of tips has fixed it for me.  My other primary phones are Atrios which are about as far from having harsh treble as possible, so if anyone should pick out sibilance, it's me!  Furthermore, it has slowly dissipated with burn-in and the hisssssssssss I got straight out of the box is mostly gone.  I can't believe these only cost me $80...

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #536 of 920
Oh right, forgot to mention bitrate. Most of my stuff is at least 192kbps, usually higher, but it doesn't seem to affect the hiss at all. I mean they hiss when there's no music playing, so I'm sure it's not the music. 

I'm not sure how much burn-in will affect the hiss since they were already 3 months old when I bought them. 

Speaking of tips, I'm not entirely happy with the fit I'm getting. I have to use the bi-flanges to get a good seal, yet it doesn't feel like it for some reason. I like having that intimate feeling of sound with iem's. Will Sony Hybrids or Shure olives help with this? (I've never used foam tips before).

Also, does anyone make oval shaped tips besides Klipsch? I love those things, best fit ever imo. I wish they could fit the 900's.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #537 of 920

Quote:
Also, does anyone make oval shaped tips besides Klipsch? I love those things, best fit ever imo. I wish they could fit the 900's.

No.  They have a friggin patent on it.  I've looked, believe me.

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #539 of 920

Quote:
Oh right, forgot to mention bitrate. Most of my stuff is at least 192kbps, usually higher, but it doesn't seem to affect the hiss at all. I mean they hiss when there's no music playing, so I'm sure it's not the music. 

I'm not sure how much burn-in will affect the hiss since they were already 3 months old when I bought them. 

Speaking of tips, I'm not entirely happy with the fit I'm getting. I have to use the bi-flanges to get a good seal, yet it doesn't feel like it for some reason. I like having that intimate feeling of sound with iem's. Will Sony Hybrids or Shure olives help with this? (I've never used foam tips before).

Hiss has nothing to do with bitrate. Some sources hiss depending on what is connected to it. An impedance adapter will help in this case since this is a dynamic driver.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #540 of 920

Quote:

Yeah try a different source, I don't get much hiss in mine anymore (source: Cowon D2 rockbox'd).

Shure Olives won't fit these unless you modify them (I think some people "de-core" them).  You could try Comply T-400's if you want to give foam tips a spin.  I'm not thrilled with my fit and isolation either, especially with the stock tips, although it's good enough for me now with some meelecs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back