Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Oct 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #496 of 920
Reading this thread among others, and talking with other members, it seems that the 900s excel at electric, rock, and "harder" beats.

Personally, I listen to folk, acoustic, dreampop, and mellow music in general.

I've been debating between the 900s and the thinksound ts02's ever since my last phones broke, and am 90% decided on the ts02's since it seems to perform better when playing the sounds I lean towards.

So, just a quick question before I order them tomorrow, anyone have any reviews of the 900s excellent performance playing softer music that might make me want to get them?

Thanks a bunch!

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #497 of 920
I've been listening to a lot of Pink Floyd lately(re-living my 80's) and they sound great.
I'm really liking these with Comply's. They mellow out the highs a tad.

Quote:
Reading this thread among others, and talking with other members, it seems that the 900s excel at electric, rock, and "harder" beats.

I've been debating between the 900s and the thinksound ts02's ever since my last phones broke, and am 90% decided on the ts02's since it seems to perform better when playing the sounds I lean towards.

So, just a quick question before I order them tomorrow, anyone have any reviews of the 900s excellent performance playing softer music that might make me want to get them?

Thanks a bunch!

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #498 of 920

Quote:

Thanks a bunch!

I have them both and I prefer the TS02 better but I'll definitely admit that the HJE900 is the better earphone. I have reviews of them both in my signature. The HJE900 can be a bit harsh on the treble if you are not used to that kind of treble.

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #499 of 920
x2 with rawster. As expected, I am not too fond of these. Their frequency range/clarity/speed/build/soundstage is great, but I'm just not enjoying the music as with the TS02s. They are too fast and dry for my taste and tend to be too treble focused. I actually found the bass on these only "decent" ,the quantity was a tad light  even thought the extension is great they're also too fast which causes it to loose texture. The TS02s on the other hand have a slower less precise bass, but it's overall more enjoyable as it has more quantity and texture. For mids the TS02s wins in lushness and HJEs in clarity. The treble has better extension on presence on the Panas but more pleasant with the TS02s for my taste as it has no spike in the mid-high region. But overall, picturing the overall sound, I give a nod to the Thinksounds for my taste. But now, I didn't find the HJEs to be too poor and could easily see other people enjoy them a lot more. For me they're actually on par with RE-Zeros but as with the REs they're just simply not the taste I like in an iem.

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #500 of 920
So you bought an earphone you were expecting to not like? You could have asked someone for a loaner or something instead :p

I can easily see someone choosing one over the other. I think both are good but I do like the presentation of the TS02+ better and I do like the midrange of the TS02+. It's not too bad with the HJE900 where I plan on selling them but maybe sometime in the future if I plan on buying more headphones or if I get too many earphones. I'd have to agree with the bass of the HJE900. I was expecting a bass monster such as the amount you get from a W3 but I was surprised when I heard them.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #502 of 920
Lol the discrepancy on the impressions of bass quantity in recent reviews compared to old reviews almost makes me think that newer stock has been tuned for less bass. Almost.

I never thought they were too bassy though. I think these made me realize that impact doesn't necessarily correlate with bass quantity, and impact matters a lot more to me than having a lot of bass, which is why i like these.

Inks, unless you plan to return them, I'd say give the foam mod or compy tips a try. I personally prefer the brighter treble and have been unable to find an adequate foam amount/density to tame the highs and bring the mids forward in the small quantity I want, so neither has been of particular use for me, but they have for other members.

On another note, I recieved my Meelec Balanced Bi-Flanges the other day, and they quite rapidly became my favorite tip both in terms of sound and fit. Kudos to those of you who recommended them! Soundstage seems a tiiiiiny bit flatter/less open so far, but the other benefits and the sheer practicality of an easy, sturdy fit made them my tip of choice.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #503 of 920
Well it's based on expectations. If you told me it was a bass monster it assume the levels of W3, IE8, Eterna, etc. The HJE900 is clearly not at that level to my ears. If you told me neutral then I'd say these have too much bass to be considered neutral.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #504 of 920

Quote:
1. Lol the discrepancy on the impressions of bass quantity in recent reviews compared to old reviews almost makes me think that newer stock has been tuned for less bass. Almost.

I never thought they were too bassy though. 2. I think these made me realize that impact doesn't necessarily correlate with bass quantity, and impact matters a lot more to me than having a lot of bass, which is why i like these.

Inks, unless you plan to return them, I'd say give the 3. foam mod or compy tips a try. I personally prefer the brighter treble and have been unable to find an adequate foam amount/density to tame the highs and bring the mids forward in the small quantity I want, so neither has been of particular use for me, but they have for other members.

On another note, I recieved my 4. Meelec Balanced Bi-Flanges the other day, and they quite rapidly became my favorite tip both in terms of sound and fit. Kudos to those of you who recommended them! Soundstage seems a tiiiiiny bit flatter/less open so far, but the other benefits and the sheer practicality of an easy, sturdy fit made them my tip of choice.

Dont forget to keep the music selection/genre going
frown.gif

Black Keys (Don't know song) Pink: Sober, Maroon 5: She will be loved, (Blues rock, Pop rock, Alternative Rock)

1. Thought the same thing when reading about them vs. listening to them turned to be somewhat polar....(What helped: Mind/Driver Burn-in, NOT USING STOCK SMALL, different tips, foam mod.
2. Agreed, I want impact, but rarely does impact come with alot of body and reverb, which I want more, fortunately the Pana's tackle the problem.
3. Comply's eh, foam mod yes.
4. Link please?

And let me say something for the record, the Pana's shine like stars for eyes with high bitrate music. Loseless is like....wow everything sounds live and humungusfungus, I swear I could't live with a larger soundstage. Also the Panas sound good with all genre's, tme.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #505 of 920

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up sticking with my decision and ordered a pair of ts02's just now.

I have a friend that's also looking for buds. Maybe I'll convince him to get these, so I can sneak off with them for a listen 
L3000.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #507 of 920

Quote:

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset2-balancedsound.htm

Much thanks.

Remember post music selections, and genre's...

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #508 of 920
Regarding those Meelec's,   what is the main difference btw the original M9 vs M9's balanced?

Seems like I get group of different tips with M9 originals to try on, what does the balanced tips do?

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #509 of 920
These little gems actually blow me away after only one week of use and a few tweaks.

They respond VERY well to EQ so I'd strongly encourage anyone who is into this to play with a good EQ in order to reveal their full potential -and by the same occasion to sculpt your favorite tone- particularly if you want a more balanced sound. After taming the emphasis I heard around the 6-7kHz region with a low Q, I was impressed by the clarity and the details of the mids, which can finally find the 'room' to clearly express themselves and shine.
The bass is wonderful, the best I've heard so far from a pair of iems/headphones I guess. Also highs are very good after EQ'ing.

Yes, the real problem out of the box may be the overall balance. Once you fix it, you won't believe how good they are for the price.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #510 of 920

Quote:
These little gems actually blow me away after only one week of use and a few tweaks.

They respond VERY well to EQ so I'd strongly encourage anyone who is into this to play with a good EQ in order to reveal their full potential -and by the same occasion to sculpt your favorite tone- particularly if you want a more balanced sound. After taming the emphasis I heard around the 6-7kHz region with a low Q, I was impressed by the clarity and the details of the mids, which can finally find the 'room' to clearly express themselves and shine.
The bass is wonderful, the best I've heard so far from a pair of iems/headphones I guess. Also highs are very good after EQ'ing.

Yes, the real problem out of the box may be the overall balance. Once you fix it, you won't believe how good they are for the price.

Weird, anyhow tips help with this overall balance thing hopefully you did not use stock smalls. Eq wise they do respond well, what do you mean by overall balance, I assume you mean treble correct me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back