Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Sep 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #211 of 920

Quote:
Indeed, they have a great balance of being "fun" and "analytical". Detailed but energetic, while still knowing to let back when they need to.

I find these 'phones to be boring and musical. . . They certainly aren't analytical.

I haven't burned them in yet but not very impressed, the mids sound weird, the highs are obnoxious, the bass is too loud. I Think I'll have to try some foam, I have some so I'll do that.

I might also need some different tips. . . .

EDIT: so far they're crap for music but I did really enjoy watching a movie with them.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #212 of 920

Quote:
Napilopez, THANK YOU my man. I got my HJE900's in the mail today and although I've got a couples more days before their fully burned in, they sound AWESOME
k701smile.gif

Glad to hear you're liking them =]

Quote:
So what's some good tips for this phone? Included mids sounds best for me right now with 2 problems: Easily falls out and isolation. The latter isn't that big of a deal as I like to hear a little of the surrounding. The large Panasonic tips fits and isolates better but has a horrible mid bass spike that reminds me of my days with the Triple Fi. The hybrid medium and large both sounds rubbish on this. Seems to make the mids a muddy mess. Any of you guys having success with tips that'll stay in and sound good?

Though I thought differently at first, the included tips aren't very good. Functional, but they provide not the best fit, sound, or isolation. The hybrids have been said by almost everyone who has posted having tried them on these(myself included) to be detrimental to the sound; they compress the soundstage and muddy up the entire sound.

I have two tips of choice with these. One is the medium single flange from Meelec, which sounds great. The medium meelec is just about the size of the large panasonic tip, perhaps a bit smaller or larger. Either way, fit was good with both for me. They have a substantially larger opening to them and the silicone doesn't feel as stiff, allowing for a more open sound and more comfortable/isolating fit. The general consensus seems to be that "standard" style single flanges works best with these, such as the mentioned meelec tips, or as many have suggested, UE superfi tips. Meelec biflanges worked well for me and another member, too. In most cases for these, the larger the opening, the better the sound.

When I had them, comply foamies placed backwards on the nozzle worked very well.

My current preferred tips are actually Monster gel Supetips, which I find bring the mids a bit more forward, though they make the soundstage a teensy bit smaller. They also isolate as good or better than any other tip I've tried.

One other tip that is rarely mentioned here are Auvio tips available from radioshack. They don't isolate too much, but from what I remember they sounded great with the Pannies. Largest soundstage because of their unique shape.

Quote:

I find these 'phones be be boring and musical. . . They certainly aren't analytical.

I haven't burned them in yet but not very impressed, the mids sound weird, the highs are obnoxious, the bass is too loud. I Think I'll have to try some foam, I have some so I'll do that.

I might also need some different tips. . . .

EDIT: so far they're crap for music but I did really enjoy watching a movie with them.

Hey, they may just not be for you! You know how it goes on head-fi, lol. Give them some time. A couple of notes, though. Your descriptions are a bit contradicting in the usual sense, I find. Usually boring and musical don't go together, and analytical gets tied with being boring. Everyone has different tastes though, of course.

Also... you're coming from two Sennheisers. Although I haven't heard the HD800, every Senn I have heard or owned had at least a hint of that laid back Senn sound. These are the antithesis to a laid back sound. You're describing the Panny's signature as most impressions already do, just in a more extreme sense: Big bass, sharp highs, somewhat recessed mids. Let them burn in psychologically/physically/metaphysically/whatever for a while, and try to get used to their sound. I found that a good deal of burn in helped make them sound alot more tamed/refined.

As mentioned above, the stock tips aren't terribly good. Try getting yourself any sort of "standard" silicone tips, like UE style tips. Heck, even the tips from my old skullcandies sounded a lot better than the stock ones. The larger opening of standard tips helps clear up the sound. Complies backwards work well too. Check out radioshack auvio tips.

If after giving them some time and messing with tipsyou still don't like the sound, you can try foam modding them(stick low-density foam in the nozzle), which will reduce the treble and bring mids a bit forward, in quantities depending on the amount/density of foam. For the big bass, you can try a smaller size tips, although tips with larger openings tend to tame the bass anyways.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #213 of 920

Hey, they may just not be for you! You know how it goes on head-fi, lol. Give them some time. A couple of notes, though. Your descriptions are a bit contradicting in the usual sense, I find. Usually boring and musical don't go together, and analytical gets tied with being boring. Everyone has different tastes though, of course.

Also... you're coming from two Sennheisers. Although I haven't heard the HD800, every Senn I have heard or owned had at least a hint of that laid back Senn sound. These are the antithesis to a laid back sound. You're describing the Panny's signature as most impressions already do, just in a more extreme sense: Big bass, sharp highs, somewhat recessed mids. Let them burn in psychologically/physically/metaphysically/whatever for a while, and try to get used to their sound. I found that a good deal of burn in helped make them sound alot more tamed/refined.

As mentioned above, the stock tips aren't terribly good. Try getting yourself any sort of "standard" silicone tips, like UE style tips. Heck, even the tips from my old skullcandies sounded a lot better than the stock ones. The larger opening of standard tips helps clear up the sound. Complies backwards work well too. Check out radioshack auvio tips.

If after giving them some time and messing with tipsyou still don't like the sound, you can try foam modding them(stick low-density foam in the nozzle), which will reduce the treble and bring mids a bit forward, in quantities depending on the amount/density of foam. For the big bass, you can try a smaller size tips, although tips with larger openings tend to tame the bass anyways.

Thanks for the advice. . . I might try different tips but first I'll burn them in. . .

I know what you mean about musical and boring not going together but that is my honest impression of them so far. I don't find their sound to be any more engaging than either of my Sennheisers. I bought these b/c my NuForce NE-7Ms died and they were much more engaging.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #214 of 920
Hopefully that's not the case for me when I get them on Monday. Although those sound signatures which are considered "fun" usually get boring after some time with them which is similar to the Eterna earphones that I have.

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #215 of 920
Quote:
So what's some good tips for this phone? Included mids sounds best for me right now with 2 problems: Easily falls out and isolation. The latter isn't that big of a deal as I like to hear a little of the surrounding. The large Panasonic tips fits and isolates better but has a horrible mid bass spike that reminds me of my days with the Triple Fi.

I feel exactly the same way!
I went back to stock M because it just sounds best. Stock L are bass monsters, but they're also a bit too tight. Sennheiser's are more comfortable but the bass is muddy then. Haven't tried any others.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #216 of 920
I'm looking to get some new IEMs, for commuting mainly, and these are on my shortlist. However, isolation is important and having read through this thread and a few other reviews, I'm not sure if they quite cut it.

FWIR, most people pitch them at average or poor in this respect. I don't need to be completely sealed off from the world, but they'll probably get used on (sometimes old and rather noisy) buses more than anywhere else.

For reference, the only IEMs I've owned before are the CX300s and Shure E2Cs. The 300s were... adequate, isolation-wise, though I would prefer more, and the Shure's were superb (imo, but have no real benchmark). Both are lacking in the SQ department, though. I have very little experience with IEMs, so when people say 'average isolation', I don't really know what that equates to.

Experience from any current or previous owners is appreciated! Sorry if this has been asked before and I completely missed it. Kinda hard to take in all the information that's available here...

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #217 of 920
it's worse than cx300(at least my fake one) in isolation. With stock and hybrid.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #218 of 920
I don't think it's that bad but I haven't tried it outside yet. At the very least it's not as microphonic as the CX300

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #219 of 920

Quote:
I'm looking to get some new IEMs, for commuting mainly, and these are on my shortlist. However, isolation is important and having read through this thread and a few other reviews, I'm not sure if they quite cut it.

FWIR, most people pitch them at average or poor in this respect. I don't need to be completely sealed off from the world, but they'll probably get used on (sometimes old and rather noisy) buses more than anywhere else.

For reference, the only IEMs I've owned before are the CX300s and Shure E2Cs. The 300s were... adequate, isolation-wise, though I would prefer more, and the Shure's were superb (imo, but have no real benchmark). Both are lacking in the SQ department, though. I have very little experience with IEMs, so when people say 'average isolation', I don't really know what that equates to.

Experience from any current or previous owners is appreciated! Sorry if this has been asked before and I completely missed it. Kinda hard to take in all the information that's available here...

Thanks.

I would say average to almost decent isolation.  Better than the M1 and way better than DDMs.  I wore them w/ bi flanges and over the ear.

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #220 of 920
Thanks for the replies. During the interim I actually came across someone asking the same question in one of the other HJE900 threads I hadn't previously found. Seems to vary a bit depending on the person, but the majority say it's fine unless you really want to avoid any ambient noise. I just dug out my CX300s and tried them again; I think even if the isolation was a bit worse than they give I would make do, particularly as they're the cheapest ones I am currently considering.

@Anaxilus: I am a fan of the over-the-ear fit, in general, is it easy to do with these? I have quite large ears, if it makes a difference (I'm thinking the strain relief looks rather long).

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #221 of 920

Thanks for the replies. During the interim I actually came across someone asking the same question in one of the other HJE900 threads I hadn't previously found. Seems to vary a bit depending on the person, but the majority say it's fine unless you really want to avoid any ambient noise. I just dug out my CX300s and tried them again; I think even if the isolation was a bit worse than they give I would make do, particularly as they're the cheapest ones I am currently considering.

@Anaxilus: I am a fan of the over-the-ear fit, in general, is it easy to do with these? I have quite large ears, if it makes a difference (I'm thinking the strain relief looks rather long).

Joker rates them a bit higher than the CX300 on his thread(though it's unlikely he compared directly). Some tips definitely isolate more than others. I'd say theyre average to decent with the right tips as well(my tips of choice are monster supertips,gel).

Some people say they can't use them over the ear, but I find them highly snug that way, equal or easier than other cord down IEMs I've owned, including the etyomic MC5 I just bought. The key thing is that you need to use the cord cinch(which doesn't work most f the time, but does so excellently when the IEMs are being used cord up.

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #222 of 920

Quote:

I had no problem doing the over the ear thing, never used the cinch either.  I think the bigger your ears the easier it is.  The metal post on the detachable cable ends right at where the curve of the top of my ear begins from the side of my head so I had no problems.  The MC5 is harder for me because the stress relief is angled even though its shorter than the 900.  At least they aren't like the Klipsch stress reliefs.

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #224 of 920
I think tips make a pretty big difference for me. The Monster triples flanges are pretty much what I've settled with. They provide the best sound, isolation and are the most secure. The bi-flange tips I was using earlier make the cable a little bit heavier since it isn't as secure. If only the connector area was shorter then that would be better for me. The chin slider doesn't seem too bad so far but I'll test them by bringing them on my commute one of these days.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #225 of 920

Quote:
I think tips make a pretty big difference for me. The Monster triples flanges are pretty much what I've settled with. They provide the best sound, isolation and are the most secure. The bi-flange tips I was using earlier make the cable a little bit heavier since it isn't as secure. If only the connector area was shorter then that would be better for me. The chin slider doesn't seem too bad so far but I'll test them by bringing them on my commute one of these days.

I'm pretty surprised the monster triflange worked well for you. I have no clue what they're like, but if they're anything like the Meelec triflanges, they'd kill too much treble for my liking.

I bought the MC5s at J&R today on a whim. It's kind of funny; similar to how these weren't as harsh or as bassy as you expected, the ety's aren't as aggressive in the highs or "un-bassy" as I expected.

Quote:
Is the consensus taht these things are worth getting for a person looking to upgrade to some high quality all purpose/genre IEMs under the 100 dollar range from the KSC75s?

My dear fellow Head-fier, do not fret so much =P I am quite sure these will be superior to the KSC75s. You've been asking around for a while. Nothing more you can really do but wait till you hear them. Even if they weren't the best possible option you could get, I'm quite confident you'll be satisfied with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back