Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Mar 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #31 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiousity, have any of you worth both the HJE900s and the Klipsch S4s? How do they compare in terms of comfort & isolation?

Don't know about the S4s, but as I said above I find the isolation fairly average unless I use complys - enough to block out office noise but not street noise. Complys improve that though, so I'm fine with that.

Comfort isn't great with the cable down, but it's good with it up. They stay in my ears for hours at a time with no issues. The cable is really light which helps.

Hope that helps..

Oh and for some reason everyone said they got a mega-short cable - I don't know if that's an issue with the american box because the one I got from Japan happily reaches a thigh or jeans pocket with slack on me, and I'm 6" 2'. (Or 6' 2".. tall anyway.
wink.gif
)

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #33 of 920
It does. I typically am going to use these for walking around town, so while they need to isolate well enough for me to be able to hear the music without cranking it up, it can't isolate so well that I won't hear the car that's about to lop my head off. I also need it to fit comfortably & securely while still sounding good across the board.

For the record, I'll be using this with a Sansa Clip+ 8 GB, listening mostly to rock [excepting punk/emo], with some metal & rap mixed in, and a scattering of the other genres. I do own a pair of non-IEM 'phones, both Sennheisers: HD 497 & HD 280 Pro. 497s sound okay and typically are my 'phone of choice [but are open], but the 280 Pro actually isolate and while sounding good, lack mid-bass. I need a portable 'phone that I can put in my pocket [I'd prefer a small hard case for this, but a soft pouch might be okay. Besides, I can always improvise later], something that won't melt my ears off during the summer & won't bust my wallet [i.e., not really much more than $100. The Amazon.com price of $115 for these is basically maxing out my budget for this]. The HJE900s sound closest to fitting the bill....

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #34 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do think the Japanese box is different. What accessories did yours bring?

Nothing too fancy, it was a cute little box with a few drawers, a little folding leather case, and a range of silicon tips. The IEMs were presented in sort of a velvet presentation thing, like a jewellery case.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #35 of 920
I think you will enjoy these alot. Though some may prefer more forward mids, I think these really help balance things out in your typical rock band out, bringing out the usually under-highlighted drummer and bass guitarist. I prefer these to ever mid forward phone ive heard.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #36 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by KramitDfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing too fancy, it was a cute little box with a few drawers, a little folding leather case, and a range of silicon tips. The IEMs were presented in sort of a velvet presentation thing, like a jewellery case.

That's what I thought, based on what previous google results had shown me about the Japanese packaging. That'sg is actually a lot better than the bare-bones american one. We simply get a small leather pouch and 3 silicone tips. Nothing else. I also believe your cable is different, looking like this: http://media.audiojunkies.com/rp-hje...ke-fugazzi.jpg

Whereas ours looks like this(taken from joker's thread): http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/353...e900400x30.jpg

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #37 of 920
If the mids are really a problem, I'm sure I could EQ it up just enough to be okay.

Still, I think I've made my decision. Looks like I'll be purchasing these in the next day or two, implying actually getting them and trying them out sometime next week.

Admittedly, past experiences have me really concerned about getting a comfortable & secure fit, especially while moving around and being active since that is going to be its primary function. I may wind up having to experiment with tips some, but it sounds like it shouldn't be too big a problem.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #38 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I thought, based on what previous google results had shown me about the Japanese packaging. That'sg is actually a lot better than the bare-bones american one. We simply get a small leather pouch and 3 silicone tips. Nothing else. I also believe your cable is different, looking like this: http://media.audiojunkies.com/rp-hje...ke-fugazzi.jpg

Whereas ours looks like this(taken from joker's thread): http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/353...e900400x30.jpg

Those japanese packaging cables look a lot nicer in my opinion.. is there a pic with the rest of it? those tips look different as well, and look a lot nicer fitting for my ears

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #39 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by rymd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those japanese packaging cables look a lot nicer in my opinion.. is there a pic with the rest of it? those tips look different as well, and look a lot nicer fitting for my ears

Hmm really? I'm glad I ahve the american version because I think the grey metal gives it a very nice touch without being blingy. They also look less flimsy. I actually sometimes wonder if we americans are getting the "high quality chord" that they sell in japan for these, as they seem to look the same as the american ones, just in white(there is a white HJE900 in japan, I believe).

Anyways, look how much nicer the packaging and case is for the Japanese buyers =[: Blog¤ÊMaterialisticA:panasonic RP-HJE900

Since I had always seen the japanese packaging online while googling, I was a little surprised and underwhelmed when I saw what it was the J&R person gave me. But heck, they sound awesome :p

I'd be suprised if the tips were different. Based on other pictures I've seen, it doesn't seem like it. Perhaps the shape is different though, I'm not sure as I don't have the stock tips anymore to compare. However, based on the Japanese official website for these, the japanese version seems to bring 4 tips as opposed to the mere 3 the american counterpart has: ¢ŠE‰AƒWƒ‹ƒRƒjƒA‚Å’®‚* | RP-HJE900 | ƒwƒbƒhƒzƒ“/ƒCƒ“ƒTƒCƒhƒzƒ“ | Panasonic

BTW... The CZs seem to come in white in japan, thought that was interesting to note. I love the sheen on the regular blue ones though. http://c0388982.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...3010950507.jpg

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #40 of 920
Yup, mine is the japanese cord. I think it might be a little different to the US one, because joker mentioned microphonics and I hear absolutely none. It's just too light and soft to bang against anything! I suppose I wear them over ear as well, which has to help.

I happen to have a dinky Dell tape measure beside my bed, and it says the cable is about 1.25 m long, so it sounds like it is in fact longer that the american one. Wonder why?

I can also confirm there were 4 sets of tips. They look like they're made of the same material however.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #41 of 920
Ahh, well joker did say that in grand scheme of things, the HJE900s have little microphonics, just more than the coppers and CK10. I never really notice the microphonics, it was actually more notable with my PX200-II O.o

Anyways, my meelec tips arrived! I'm very happy, the sound is just what I was looking for. I'm just trying to decide if I prefer the Bi-flange or the medium single flange. The Bi-flange certainly is more snug though. The triflanges absolutely kill the treble for me, maybe even worse than the complies, while the small and large just don't seal right. Biflanges seem ever so slightly warmer, still trying to choose

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #42 of 920
Well, I took the plunge. Amazon says it should arrive Tuesday. I'm excited. I do hope I can get it to fit properly with the stock tips, though it sounds like I should perhaps look into aftermarket tips [Sony Hybrids and/or Complys - the T400 I think?] just in case.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #43 of 920
I picked up a set of these not too long ago. Use em at least 5 days a week. At first i only wanted them for gym use but i enjoy the music with them so much i now wear em at work as well. I have at least 200hours on them by now.
I love the big bass they deliver the highs are bright but not overly done for me. The mids could be bumped up a touch but nothing that bothers me.
Overall i use these and like em so much i will most likely get another pair just in case anything happened to these.
Also anyone know of any real good upgrade cords that work for it? I wouldn't mind trying a cord or two on these.
I also have not had my filters fall out yet.....guess i got lucky on that part, so far anyway.
duggehsmile.png

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #44 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i feel like im missing something with these

I have been using the HJE900s exclusively for my few weeks of hiatus from here, and enjoying virtually every minute of my time with them..

...However, the reason for me quoting Mark's post from page one - I was recently looking on Amazon (UK) and saw that the Denon 751s were on offer (about £75) so decided to pick myself up a pair...

The C751s are very different to the HJE900, and I can see why the HJE900 sounds off in comparison...

The C700/751 are - to my ears, waaay better than the C710 that replace them (which I am sure Mark will be pleased to see me say!!)

Anyways - enough off-topic... the HJE900 is a great canalphone for those who want to hear a very crisp / clean presentation of their music, but don't want / need high volume (where, to me the Panasonics fall down a little) imo.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #45 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I took the plunge. Amazon says it should arrive Tuesday. I'm excited. I do hope I can get it to fit properly with the stock tips, though it sounds like I should perhaps look into aftermarket tips [Sony Hybrids and/or Complys - the T400 I think?] just in case.

Well, a couple of things. If you prefer a warmer signature and find the treble too harsh with stock tips, then the hybrids might work for you. They also isolate well, are very comfortable, and should bring out the mids a bit as well, if on the warmer side. Myself and several others really don't like complies or any foam tips with these; they just destroy the treble imo. However, if you insert the complies on the nozzle backwards, then you get a great sound. It seems the treble is attenuated in the little part of the complies where the core doesn't extend to, so placing them backwards eliminates that problem as the core extends all the way to the opening. Most people agree that standard UE style tips work the best though, and having my meelec tips now, I agree. The large opening seems to bring out the imaging prowess of these. Make sure to let them burn in before you judge the sound, whether you think it's mental or physical. Treble does calm itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a set of these not too long ago. Use em at least 5 days a week. At first i only wanted them for gym use but i enjoy the music with them so much i now wear em at work as well. I have at least 200hours on them by now.
I love the big bass they deliver the highs are bright but not overly done for me. The mids could be bumped up a touch but nothing that bothers me.
Overall i use these and like em so much i will most likely get another pair just in case anything happened to these.
Also anyone know of any real good upgrade cords that work for it? I wouldn't mind trying a cord or two on these.
I also have not had my filters fall out yet.....guess i got lucky on that part, so far anyway.
duggehsmile.png

The only chords I know that fit these besides that HQ cable they sell in Japan(which may or may not be the american cable...) are the Sleek Audio ones. Which, btw, also means you can use them wirelessly, as Sleek Audio has a wireless thingamabob. I don't know if it's any better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back