Panasonic CT470 versus newer & cheaper Panasonics?
Aug 3, 2001 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

beowulf

Headphoneus Supremus
I found a Panasonic CT470 player and since my dad needed a new one, we got it (I remember hearing lots of good details about it in Headwize/Head-Fi). ($125 was the cheapest I found here in Lisbon)

I wasn't disappointed, after throwing away the original heapdhones and plugging in the MDR-CD3000, it became obvious that this unit does indeed sing very well (and at only 9mW) even without any external amplification.

My question is, has anyone compared it to the really cheap Panasonics that are coming out now?

I feel tempted to buy a CT470 for myself before they disappear, but I have been wondering if the really cheap Panasonics (like the 220) can sound similar.

The 470 includes many stuff I don't need, like the holder for 2 extra batteries, the charger, the remote on the wire, the 2 NiMh AAA batteries.... all I want is a simple player with good sound and nothing else...

So do the new cheap Panasonics suck when it comes to sound quality? Are the cheap ones 9mW too? (Don't even think about trying to find out many tech specs from their website.. duh).

Aug 6, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 33
Hmm, I am starting to assume that nobody has yet bought one of those new Panasonic bottom-of-the-line cheapos.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2001 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 33
I got the CT570 and it's absolutely great. Excellent sound quality and all those nifty little extras too. And for $65 shipped to your home, I couldn't resist. I'm glad I purchased it, great buy. It's currently hooked up to my newly acquired MG Head and the sound is quite good.

Aug 8, 2001 at 7:19 AM Post #6 of 33
I'm in the market for a new cpd. Mine was dropped 4 feet onto concrete and the laser no longer picks anything up. Where did you get the 570 for $65 delivered?

Aug 8, 2001 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 33
Hehe, on Head-Fi. I bought it second hand from NEO. I love the thing and I believe it can be found brand new for around $90, check out Yahoo shopping for a list of pretty good prices and websites that carry it.

Aug 8, 2001 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 33
Onecall does not have any 470s left in stock. I tried to order one yesterday and they sent me an email stating that they only had one left in stock. Based on this I thought "Lucky me - I'm getting the last one".

However, later they called me back and indicated that even thought they had one listed as being in stock - they could not locate it in anywhere in their warehouse. If you go to their website now - it indicates that they don't have the 470.

They do, however, have a couple hundred of the 570s for $88.76 each, including shipping.

This is the reason I have started another thread on the sound quality of the 470 vs. the 570. I'm trying to decide whether to get the 570 from OneCall or look someplace else for the 470.

Someone who has heard them both please give me your opinions on the sound quality of the 470 vs. the 570 - are they about the same or is one significantly better than the other?

Aug 8, 2001 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 33
Thanks for the warning, I HATE it when companies list things as being in stock when they're not. Although Onecall at least had the goodness in it's heart to call you and tell you they were out of stock. When I originally ordered my HD-580s, lots of places had them for sale, but they were all out of stock, I think it had something with them being discontinued (although I hear they have been revived). Then I found Buy.com, they said they were in stock and would ship the next day, about 2 weeks later I was fortunate to be told about Jan Meier and ended up cancelling my order with Buy.com and buying HD-600s
smily_headphones1.gif
instead for about $10 more.

Aug 9, 2001 at 7:10 AM Post #14 of 33
I'm not sure I understand your post Redwood. Are you saying you disagree with most people and you don't think the 470 sounds better or that you disagree with my comment and feel the 470 is a better product?

Aug 9, 2001 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 33
Man beowulf, it looks like nobody even attempted to answer your question
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought a Panasonic SL-SX280, but I really can't compare the sound to a 470 or a 570 since I don't have one. At the time I bought it I was thinking, well, it's gotta be somewhere close to the sound of the 470, so I went ahead and bought it. Then I got home and got pissed because I discovered that it didn't have a line out... and I haven't bought a portable cdp in so long, I thought they all came with line outs... it turns out that a lot of them don't. Oh well... if I ever decide to find a 470 or 570 to buy, I'll just give this one to my mom... and maybe buy her a pair of SR60's or 80's. As for the 9mw power rating... I don't know. But I will say that it does have plenty of power.

So, has anyone compared the cheaper newer models (like mine) with the 470 or 570?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back