Pairing LCD2 and D2k with an amp
Jun 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Run

New Head-Fier
So here's the deal. I own a pair of D2k's and have recently purchased a pair of LCD-2's and am now looking for an amp/DAC that will pair nicely with both of them. I am getting by with a HiFiMAN EF2A amp, but the time has come to upgrade.  I have a budget of around 1000$

On a side note I have read all 4000 posts on the LCD-2 amp thread. Also, I really like the tube sound.  I was thinking of getting a Schiit Lyr but read about the hiss you get with the D2k's. I have also been looking at Audio GD, Burson, Yulong, Cambridge, Stello, and a number of others but seem to get lost when trying to find something to bridge the gap.

I don't mind waiting on a good deal to pop up on the forums and am keeping a few DIY amps in mind, not to build myself but to buy from fellow head-fiers.

So I am looking to you guys for advice.  A nice DAC and an amp that has enough power for orthos but can still listen to my D2k's casually when gaming all within a 1000$ budget.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 5
The HA-160Ds does a nice job with both. The bass impact and speed are aspects that i feel in love with. 

Dacmini is another option. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 5
I am close to certain this is the amp I will end up going with. Hows the DAC in the DS? Or would it be better to get a 160 and a separate DAC?

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I am close to certain this is the amp I will end up going with. Hows the DAC in the DS? Or would it be better to get a 160 and a separate DAC?

Dac on the Ds (sonically talking) adds no coloration to the sound, pretty decent for the price.  The advantage of a dedicated unit is that you have the freedom to use it with any other gear.
But, if limited on space and want a one box solution. Its a good way to go. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 5
Space is not a limiting factor, more so the two different headphones. If I were to get a 160, what would be a decent DAC to pair it with.

Would the DAC in the Burson outperform a seperate 200$ DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back