Pain inside my right ear from HD650?
Nov 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #16 of 24
Oh, that's unfortunate.  I don't have any idea what it could be then.  I'm going to guess you've already read the thread regarding the proper adjustment of your HD580/ 600/ 650s? I don't have the link, but it should come up with a simple search if you haven't seen it already...

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #17 of 24
Guys, it IS most likely the clamping force of the headband...I had the same problem with mine at first, but you need NEED to loosen them properly.  A quick stretch won't do it, and you'll need to do it for a few days, gradually increasing the space until they are perfect for you.  Start by extending them all the way, then putting them over some books, approximately a foot wide.  Leave them like that for 24 hours or so, and try them again.  Add an inch or so every time in book width, and put them on the stretcher again overnight.  It took me about four nights before I got it to fit right, but I haven't had any pain since.  Good luck!

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #18 of 24
I also have this problem with my HD600, but only on my left ear after about 1-2 hours. I'll try some adjustments and see what happens.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #19 of 24
I had the exact same problem as the OP. Once the pain is there, cut the source but keep the headphones on your head. If the pain persists but goes away as soon as you remove the headphones you can be sure it's related to the headphones and not the sound.
Try adjusting the headphones differently around your ear and also try to extend or shorten the sides by a notch or two. Once you find the best position that does not trigger the pain it will become natural after a while. If this can help my pain was caused by the bottom of the pads putting too much pressure under my ears, as soon as I found a way to even the pressure around the ear the pain disappeared. Took me a while to find out tough since at first I thought it was because the HD600 were too bright.

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #20 of 24
I used to get this frequently with nearly all phones, and for me it was because of insufficient earflap space. The ear is mostly made of semi-rigid cartilage which gets pushed towards your head with phones on. This in turn kinks the ear canal a bit which is where my pain came from. It would be fine for a period of time then it would hurt like the devil. As soon as I started to give my ears enough room so they didn't have any pressure the problem went away.

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #21 of 24
Smeggy, I think my HD600 problem was exactly as you said. My left ear always contacted the inside of the cup on the earlobe, but my right doesn't.

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 24
Probably is just the fit, or even weight.  Only headphones that I haven't had any pains with are the K702's over extended periods of time >6 hours.

Granted all headphones are a little bit more uncomfy for me than they should be since I wear glasses. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
Probably is just the fit, or even weight.  Only headphones that I haven't had any pains with are the K702's over extended periods of time >6 hours.

Granted all headphones are a little bit more uncomfy for me than they should be since I wear glasses. 

Yeah, the most comfortable phones I have right now are the W1000X. I can wear them for long periods of time without any discomfort.

Quote:
I had the exact same problem as the OP. Once the pain is there, cut the source but keep the headphones on your head. If the pain persists but goes away as soon as you remove the headphones you can be sure it's related to the headphones and not the sound.
Try adjusting the headphones differently around your ear and also try to extend or shorten the sides by a notch or two. Once you find the best position that does not trigger the pain it will become natural after a while. If this can help my pain was caused by the bottom of the pads putting too much pressure under my ears, as soon as I found a way to even the pressure around the ear the pain disappeared. Took me a while to find out tough since at first I thought it was because the HD600 were too bright.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain the pain is from the pressure of the phones pushing under my ear too. I'll try playing with different positions and see if it helps.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #24 of 24
HD650 Clamping advice http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513852/hd650-clamping-advice#post_6944620

Clamping reducing instructions for HD650 and similar models:

Extend the metal strips to the max (6.3 centimeters) Bend the metals only. Plastic should be left alone. Watch this very instructive picture for illustrational use only

If you bend too much, just bend it back. If you keep bending back and forth 10000 times the steel will become very soft (remember Uri Geller?). Otherwise, don't be afraid. But there really isn't much of a bend that is needed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back