Pacific Value Lite DAC-Ah's
Jan 30, 2007 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

RasmusseN

500+ Head-Fier
I've been doing a lot of research on a good audio setup but I am confused at this point. It seems there is 3 different Lite DAC-Ah's on there website looks like two of them are modified is it worth getting the modified ones? Which one would you recommend? The expensive one is outa my price range.

http://pacificvalve.us/LTDACAH2.html
http://pacificvalve.us/LTDACAHM.html
http://www.pacificvalve.us/LTDACAHHA.html

I plan on using this for a computer as source setup my route should look like this:
Chaintech AV-710 -> Lite DAC-ah -> Heed CanAmp > Headphones

I'll check on this thread tomorrow after work which is at 5:30AM and It's 12:56AM time to get some sleep?
biggrin.gif

Thanks In Advanced

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 22
well try to take advantage of return policies. auditioning is a must, and even with their 30 day return that charges 3%, its still better than ending up with something you don't like.

With that said, I honestly don't know whether the opamp socket and changed opamps are worth the extra 55 bucks,, as if you are familiar with soldering you could socket the opamps yourself and roll according to your taste.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're any good at soldering you can mod your own unit for much less than they charge
tongue.gif

cheap and effective mods would include: passive bypass, swapping in 8v regulators or fitting proper resistors

I think I will just get the Stock Lite DAC-Ah than

Thanks Everyone

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 22
there's a couple of easy mods on here and the DIY forums

do a search, one thread was called "help me get to know my DAC-AH" and the other one was "DAC-AH circuit error: easy fix" or somthing along those lines

plenty of good info that transformed my DAC-AH from good to excellent =D

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

there's a couple of easy mods on here and the DIY forums

do a search, one thread was called "help me get to know my DAC-AH" and the other one was "DAC-AH circuit error: easy fix" or somthing along those lines

plenty of good info that transformed my DAC-AH from good to excellent =D

I'll into it does this second link already have those fixes?

http://pacificvalve.us/LTDACAHM.html

I don't think it does that one just says

"The DAC AH-M1 takes this architecture one step further by
upgrading with the OPA27AM Op Amp for greater detail and clarity. In addition, we
install an op amp socket for future upgrades."

while the most expensive one out of the list says:
http://www.pacificvalve.us/LTDACAHHA.html

"The first thing we did is phase correct
the DAC AH to get more solid
imaging. Then we applied voltage
stabilization to help extend the high
and low frequency extremes and
smooth out the timbre. The following
were also applied:

# 2 caps in critical areas changed to
black Gate non polar
# 2 caps in critical areas changed to
Mcap
# 4 caps changed to WIMA black
boxes
# 2 Caps changed to ELNA SILMIC
# 3 Caps changed to ELNA
STRAGE
# 2 Caps changed to ELNA for
Audio
# Dale resistances throughout in
critical areas
# OPAMP changed to high quality
Burr Brown OPA128JM"

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 22
there is a link somewhere on the phase fix

but if you do the passive bypass, then you won't have to worry about fixing the phase as your bypass the opamp stage altogether

with the upgraded caps and opamp i'm sure they're nice but i think running the DAC-AH at 8v makes a nicer improvement, i mean i havent changed as many caps as in those mods, i use panasonic FM camps in a few places and the change is so small if at all noticable

LM7808 regulators are like a few bucks each..

Feb 1, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

there is a link somewhere on the phase fix

I have followed the DAC-AH threads closely and have not seen any info on a phase correction.

There is a company in china that sent me a DAC-AH with the opamps socketed so that it was a simple swap to OPA627's. I believe I paid $180 shipped

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have followed the DAC-AH threads closely and have not seen any info on a phase correction.

There is a company in china that sent me a DAC-AH with the opamps socketed so that it was a simple swap to OPA627's. I believe I paid $180 shipped

I did the same with vocativeaudio.com in HK

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 22
I have the cheaper modded PV Dac-Ah and it has the resister mods already done so if you're note DIY inclined I recommend that one over the bone stock version. I haven't been able to compare directly against each other, but i converted my DAC-AH to Battery power and did a Passive out with Jupiter caps and really like the sound. Next step will be to change the output resistors to Caddock's.

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 22
i had the unmodded lite dac-ah and the scratching was unbearable. it wasn't even at high volumes. so unless you can mod it or planning on having someone do it for you, i'd get something else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back