PA2V2 vs FiiO E11
Mar 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MrAwesome

New Head-Fier
Both are about $60, I'm using an IPod Classic as a source since it is 'portable." 

The Head Phones will likely use

- AKG K701
- Grado RS1i 

I'm new to these scene, so which portable amp should I get out of these two? or if there is anything better that is with-in range of $100 

[size=small]I like to listen to Rock, Hard Rock, Rock n Roll, Classic Rock, Pop-Rock, Orchestral band instrumental, Jazz, Blues. I Basically like 60's-70's music and pop stuff[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Top bands I listen too [/size]

[size=small][/size]
[size=small]The Beatles[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Led Zeppelin[/size]

[size=small]Wings[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]The Who[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Queen[/size]

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 6
I have different opinion. Here is my take of 7 sub-$100 portable amps.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 6
Hello,

I'm really interested by the topic, as I have just bought an AKG K701. ClieOS, or other forumers, what's your experience with full-size headphones with higher Ohm impedance on those portable amps (K701 is around 80ohm FWIR, but nonetheless thrive for power, more so that my Grado SR80) ? Especially, is the E11 or the JDSLabs cmoy a good match to use with this kind of cans ? Did you try it with a portable source (Cowon, Sansa clips...) and is there a difference between for example what you hear with a mix Cowon J3 + K701, and Cowon j3+E11/cmoyBB+K701 ?
I have read the reviews you have just linked to, ClieOS, but those are intended for use with IEM, so I'm not really sure... By the way, JDSLabs propose a cmoyBB 2.03 with two 9v batteries instead of one, is it the way to go ? (K701 is a really precise and neutral headphone)
Thank you

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 6
None of my full size is particularly hard to drive and I do have good desktop amp for them. However, I am personally against the idea of getting a really good full size, then trying to get away with the minimum (and often less than minimum) requirement of amping. Not to say it will sound bad, but certainly not at its best.

cmoy with 18V supply is a good start, but personally I'll look for something better. Of course, you are limited by your budget.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 6
I don't intend to use the K701 walking in the street, but I would like to enjoy it in the garden, or just in my room, away from the main amp. So I wondered how this could sound from a portable amp. A Cowon J3 is already a decent portable source for this headphone, I wondered if a portable amp would improve much the experience... (I did A-B the Cowon, a Sennheiser PX100 and with/without a cmoyBB, and there was not much benefit in adding the amp, except for the extreme volume). But the Sennheiser PX100 has no problem with an integrated PC audio card, and the same cheap audio card can't drive the AKG well enough (my X-Fi external rack is better for this). 
I bought the AKG because I listened to it previously, and after this experience it was difficult to go back to cheaper alternatives... 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back