PA2V2 Potentiometer Static Answer
Jun 13, 2010 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Berserker

100+ Head-Fier
I have a problem with static in the potentiometer knob on my PA2V2. I can only hear it while I'm turning it up or down. I emailed Gary, and this is the response he gave me, in case anyone else has encountered this same problem.

Me:

Hey Gary,

I recently received the amp, as you know, and I have a question. Is it normal to hear static while turning the potentiometer knob up/down? It seems like in certain songs it does, and certain ones it doesn't. But even when it does do it, I can turn the knob up and down really fast, then it disappears. Any feedback?

Thanks

Gary's response:

This static noise is a consequence of my design, which actually keeps the potentiometer out of the audio signal path. If I put the potentiometer into the audio signal path then the scratching noise would go away. However, the bad part about this is that the audio signal would technically be degraded for the entire time that music was playing. I thought it would be best to have the amp make a little noise only when the knob is turned, but to have the best sound when the knob was set. The resistive path in these potentiometers isn't as pure as in a regular resistor.

Hope this helps out.

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 22
Well, It looks like I am on a roll lately. I was listening to mine today and noticed the exact same phenomonen and was going to email Gary.. I don't have to now and kind of like that it does this now so as to preserve the audio signal!

Thanks for pyschically tuning into my thought patterns and getting the answer for me!!

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 22
You're very welcome. I did a search here before posting, but nobody seemed to have an answer. Most thought it meant either the batteries needed charging, or the wrong type batteries.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 22
I suppose that`s why he is an electrical engineer, good stuff.

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
a little wd-40 or even better electrical lube will work just fine.

(This has been posted about before)

I did a search before posting, but I didn't see anything. I overlooked it, perhaps.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
a little wd-40 or even better electrical lube will work just fine.

(This has been posted about before)

And where do you put that? I pressume this is joke.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:

I don't believe it is a joke, and I guess one would spray a tiny amount on the potentiometer?

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Not a joke.

Take a q-tip, soak it with wd-40, take off the rubber cap, and rub the q-tip around the base where the plastic rod and metal base meet while you have it pointed up so the wd-40 dips down. Twist the nob around over and over. You could also try wiping the back of the nob too (inside the case).

Solved my static problem a couple years ago.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 22
Well, according to Gary, it's supposed to do that. It really doesn't bother me. Once it's set, it doesn't do it. It was more of a concern, because it was new. That's why I e-mailed him to begin with.

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 22
I actually never heard the static when music was playing. What kind of music were you playing when you heard the static?
I've only ever heard the static when I fiddle with the Potentio without music playing. Doesn't show up even on quiet acoustic tracks.

Jun 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 22
I don't hear it at all while stationary, it's while turning it up or down that I hear it. It doesn't matter what kind of music I'm playing, it just does it in general.

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 22
I meant I don't hear any static when turning the potentio while the music is playing.
I only hear it when I'm turning the potentio without music.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 22
Gotcha. Mine does it either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back