PA2V2 or Fiio E11 for car FM converter
Jul 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cassull

New Head-Fier
I recently installed a FM converter into my car, which did not have an AUX input for playing music from other devices other than the stock CD and tape cassette. I was originally using a tape adapter, the sound quality was pretty awful... Anyway, the FM converter sounds much better paired with my iPod classic than the tape adapter, but the volume is very low, even with the iPod volume turned up and the car volume turned up as well. I started looking into portable amps and have found a lot of information so far on Head-Fi, but I'm not sure what to get.

I'd considered some of the really cheap Fiio options, like the E6, but I thought I could spend a bit more for quality in case I use the amp elsewhere. So far, I've narrowed my choices down to the PA2V2 or the E11. The lower the price, the better, though the price between both those amps are pretty negligible ($70 for the PA2V2 and $60 for the E11). I like the E11 for the form factor since it'll basically be always attached to my iPod, but the PA2V2 seems a bit more popular and better reviewed. Also, it's nice to be able to charge the PA2V2 while it being in use, but I suppose it's not a critical knock against the E11 that it cannot do the same.

I had also briefly considered the E7 since it's also close in price with a DAC ($71), but I don't foresee ever using the DAC feature, so I guess it's not really a good choice for something that'll be used as a pure amp for most of its life. Does anyone have any recommendations for either of these for my car? I do plan on using it outside of my car, but probably not with headphones as I tend to use IEMs when walking out and about. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I recently installed a FM converter into my car, which did not have an AUX input for playing music from other devices other than the stock CD and tape cassette. I was originally using a tape adapter, the sound quality was pretty awful... Anyway, the FM converter sounds much better paired with my iPod classic than the tape adapter, but the volume is very low, even with the iPod volume turned up and the car volume turned up as well. I started looking into portable amps and have found a lot of information so far on Head-Fi, but I'm not sure what to get.

I'd considered some of the really cheap Fiio options, like the E6, but I thought I could spend a bit more for quality in case I use the amp elsewhere. So far, I've narrowed my choices down to the PA2V2 or the E11. The lower the price, the better, though the price between both those amps are pretty negligible ($70 for the PA2V2 and $60 for the E11). I like the E11 for the form factor since it'll basically be always attached to my iPod, but the PA2V2 seems a bit more popular and better reviewed. Also, it's nice to be able to charge the PA2V2 while it being in use, but I suppose it's not a critical knock against the E11 that it cannot do the same.

I had also briefly considered the E7 since it's also close in price with a DAC ($71), but I don't foresee ever using the DAC feature, so I guess it's not really a good choice for something that'll be used as a pure amp for most of its life. Does anyone have any recommendations for either of these for my car? I do plan on using it outside of my car, but probably not with headphones as I tend to use IEMs when walking out and about. 

The volume from your car stereo's is quiet or are you using your ipod with headphones? I don't know anything about the stuff in cars but it may not help much if you are using the car stereo speakers.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared

But here, both the e11 and Pa2v2 from and in clieos's opinion don't have too good of EMI shielding so depending on the frequency of your FM radio and what else is in your car , it could pose problems. Could is the keyword.

Now, explain to me what you are trying to do in layman's terms as I know nothing about car audio.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 5
Sorry for the confusion. Basically, my car now has a line out for me to connect my iPod to. When I connect it, the volume is very low and sounds pretty underpowered. I'm looking to get an app to fix this. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Basically, my car now has a line out for me to connect my iPod to. When I connect it, the volume is very low and sounds pretty underpowered. I'm looking to get an app to fix this. 

The question is if a headphone amp will rectify or fix your problem?

Anyway, that guide has the most popular amps at the sub $100 range that are portable and are just amps, give it a read! But if you do make up your mind or choice, buy from amazon fullfilled purchase to make returns easier just in case.

Weird that it's not loud enough, are your volume controls enabled? Can you turn it up? How could powered speakers(or at least I think they are) be "quiet!"? We do have a section for you to ask this question though, they may actually be able to tell you what's wrong or if a portable HEADPHONE amp will fix your problem.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 5
Sorry if I missed it, but is your FM converter terminated with a mini plug (plugged into headphone out of classic) or dock connector (plugged into classic dock)?  If it's the latter, your volume on classic should not work and only controlled by car volume.  I have used these for a while and only buy the dock terminated ones to bypass ipod amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back