PA2V2 No Gain Screws?
Sep 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

theryaner

Head-Fier
Hi, I just purchased a used PA2V2 off of ebay and it doesn't have the two gain screws that's been mentioned here a lot. So I guess I have an older version of it. I was wondering if there's a major difference between my old version of the PA2V2 to the newer one and is it worth upgrading. I'm pretty happy with the sound but I sort of feel like its making my grado MS1i's a little too harsh but more detailed.

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Sep 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 5
I use to have both the old and current version (with gain screws).  When I had the current version, and played with gain screws while listening with my Grados, I found the sound can be harsh when I adjusted the gain.  I didn't experience any harshness with the older version, but I did find it a little grainy, which I think is part of the amps character.  

If you're experiencing harsh sound versus grainy, you might want to recharge the batteries as harsh sounds can be due to depleted batteries or on the verge of depletion.  The only other thing I can think of that may be causing a harsh sound is if the volume pot set to high.  Is your source volume set to the max?

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 5
^ great reminder about the low battery charge thing. Also make sure they are not normal batteries in there either, they have to be rechargeables . Check Gary's site for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back