PA2v2 Fluttering
Sep 23, 2010 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ddrddrddrddr

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just bought a pa2v2 second hand. The amp has a problem with a fluttering distortion. The issue was very immediate when I turned on Black Eyed Pea's "My Humps", at parts where the lyric goes "she's got me spending", the instrumental on the background flutters. I've tried my E5 and and a different PA2v2 and the issue is not present. I am wondering if anyone have any idea what the issue might be and what I might do to fix it. I don't know how Gary's warranty thing works but if there is an easy fix I would like to try it first.

While I'm here, I can hear background static when using the amp. E5 doesn't have any at all but static is present in both the PA2v2s. What's up with that? Do I need to dish out more for an amp that doesn't give me troubles?

Okay, with further experimentation, the issue is not with a passive circuit element. Probably a capacitor somewhere. The fluttering effect continues for about half a second after I turn off the amp, where there's a winding down sound. As the amp is turned on, the sound quality is good for about a second or two before it degrades to the fluttering sound.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 4
Have you tried a different cable? A bad ground connection often sounds fluttery/wavy

cheers
FRED

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 4
As in power cable? I tried battery and AC. It shouldn't be the source anyway because I have another pa2v2 to compare with right there. Thanks for trying. I gave Gary an email to see what happens.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back