PA2V2 Amp Report
Jan 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 56
I can report back that my PA2V2 was shipped over to the UK for $60 total, no import tax, and works very well with my SE530s. I am looking to get some Grado's too so look forward to seeing how they work with them.

I am new to high end portable systems but as a starter amp it is great. I do hear some slight hiss when it nothing is playing from my iPod. Not sure if that is the iPod or the PA2V2. I am using a LOD.

BTW check out the website. He has every buyers first name listed against the serial number of the unit you buy and are encouraged to submit pictures of your portable rig. It is like they are all his little babies!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerotec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aj, What did you end up getting? I am interested in the RE1 or RE0's and have ordered an Fiio E5 but this PA2V2 looks good.

I did end up getting the E3 and used it for a while but decided that amps are not really my thing since I hate carrying them around, even if they are tiny. I also really didn't like the disposable batteries on the E3, it can get expensive after a while.

If you still haven't bought anything, I would go for RE0. Significantly better than RE1 but only $20 more.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #18 of 56
I ended up splashing out on the SE530PYH. I really like both the earphones and the PTH module. Makes it so much more convenient when out and about.

Will keep a look out for some RE0s when the £ recovers as would be good to try them out too.

I just got an Fiio E5. Lovely little amp but not had a chance to try it out yet.

Rich

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did end up getting the E3 and used it for a while but decided that amps are not really my thing since I hate carrying them around, even if they are tiny. I also really didn't like the disposable batteries on the E3, it can get expensive after a while.

If you still haven't bought anything, I would go for RE0. Significantly better than RE1 but only $20 more.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #19 of 56
Just bought a PA2V2 from a friend. It's my first amp and I'm quite amazed with the improved sound quality.
But I have some problem. I noticed that this amp make quite annoying hiss. Does anyone have the same problem?

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMePunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought a PA2V2 from a friend. It's my first amp and I'm quite amazed with the improved sound quality.
But I have some problem. I noticed that this amp make quite annoying hiss. Does anyone have the same problem?

Sounds like your headphone has low impedance.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like your headphone has low impedance.

I'm using Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro (21 ohms @ 1kHz). I tried using sound level attenuator to improve the impedance, and it successfully made the hiss gone, but the sound became too warm and less detail.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Are you using alkaline or NimH batteries? You really should use rechargeable NimH only! The higher current from the alkalines cause this as the amp was designed to work with only rechargeable batteries.

I too had this problem, and once I switched it went away.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #23 of 56
I'm using the alkaline batteries because my friend said that the higher the battery current means the higher sound quality.
But, I'm gonna buy some NimH batteries. Thanx for the tip, bro.

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #24 of 56
Yep, don't use alkalines. Sounds like crap. The rechargables will fix that. I had the same issue. Love this little amp.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

I'm using the alkaline batteries because my friend said that the higher the battery current means the higher sound quality.
But, I'm gonna buy some NimH batteries. Thanx for the tip, bro.

That's the source of your problem! Gary emailed me when I had the same problem and he noted that the circuitry was designed for slightly less voltage (only found with NiMH batteries).

Cheers,

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #27 of 56
If MP4 Nation is going to continue being pricks (purchased the E5 from them when they announced they had it, still haven't arrived), I will attempt to get my full refund and take my PA2V2 back from my dad. : )

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #28 of 56
I tried to replace the batteries with Energizer NiMH rechargeable, but the hiss is still there. Last week I had a local gathering with my friends, and I tried some full-sized headphones (MS-1, ATH AD700, and DT770 250 ohm) with my PA2V2, and the hiss is completely gone!!!

I wonder, is this amp does not suitable to be used with IEM? (I'm using Super.fi 5 Pro)

Oh, like I said on my previous post above, I actually already found some way to make the hiss gone. I used the sound level attenuator which improve the impedance on my IEM, and it successfully make the hiss gone. But the downside is, the sound become much too warm for me, and also some detail are missing.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #30 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a pair of head-direct RE2s and am considering my first amp. This amp would be at the top of my price range, so do you think this would be my best bet? I have also considered FiiO, and have heard great things about it but am not sure what kind of quality I will get for $12

I use the RE2 daily (commute) with a 4G iPod nano and have tested it extensively with several amps (with LOD, where applicable): Headroom Micro Amp, Headroom Total Airhead (old version), PA2V2 and FiiO E3.

None of the amps improve sound SQ (at least to me), so I use the RE2 straight from from the nano (with judicious use of the iPod EQ when needed). This also happens to fit nicely with my must-fit-in-shirt-pocket-or-it's-useless definition of portability.

Don't waste your $ on the FiiO E3 - it does boost the bass, but turns overall SQ to mud. I don't understand why Head Direct includes it with the RE2. I gave my two free E3s away.

The PA2V2 is a terrific match for Grados (SR60 and SR125i in my experience) and KSC75 and is a very nice amp for listening to vinyl.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back