PA2V2 Amp Report
Feb 1, 2006 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56
Hey folks, I just recently received my PA2V2 from gary @

http://www.electric-avenues.com/

Just wanted to say that it makes quite a impact on the sound, and I am more than thrilled. It was like putting my headphones on steroids and I would highly recommend the $60 amp. I can not even think of listening to music with out the amp so great now I am spoiled rotten!

Both my Grados and Senn HD280 sound fantastic through my 5G.

Cletus

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 1, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 56
Hmm I should look into an amp. I'm really curious about amps, never really gotten into them because I didnt want to. I'm just afraid once I get one my spending will contine as it did for headphones...I really need to cut back on headphone spendings and use the money to buy grocery food...

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 56
I had read reviews that the HD280 didn't respond very well to an amp (as in didn't change much). What kind of differences are there between the amp and the headphone out?

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 56
The PAV2 by Gary is a great little amp, well worth the $60 he charges. They bring the Grado's to life specially the bass.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
I had read reviews that the HD280 didn't respond very well to an amp (as in didn't change much). What kind of differences are there between the amp and the headphone out?

I never used my old hd280's with an amp. However, I do know how they sound straight out of an MP3 player, and it isn't that great. For 80ohms they are still hard to drive with an ipod, so I imagine the volume, bass, and overall impact would increase dramatically rather than sq related characteristics.

I am not sure of response to an amp as a change in sound, but that is how I see the extra power affecting it.

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi

No no no, my HD280 sounds much much better using the amp. It is much fuller and alive. Its the best upgrade possible with out having to fork out hundreds of greenbacks for new cans.

Cletus

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1
And Grado 325i's and with Garys amp they both are fantastic..............

Oh god dont tell me that! My SR125's sound like heaven dont say it gets better! A am already broke.

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cletus Bocephust
Oh god dont tell me that! My SR125's sound like heaven dont say it gets better! A am already broke.

Yes the Grado SR-125 do sound better with the PAV2. As a matter of fact that was my first combo, I miss it
mad.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 56
I'm using Gary's PA2V2 with my HF-1's and they sound great together. Definitely better than ampless. The PA2V2 puts out some serious juice, I could easily deafen myself in minutes with one twist of the volume control.

Here's an interesting side note. Bought my amp from Gary in mid-August 2005 for use at work. It uses 2 AA batteries and I decided to use rechargeables. I installed Powerex 2300 Mah batteries.

The PA2V2 includes a wall wart that can be used to recharge your rechargeables in the unit so you don't need to use a screwdriver to remove/recharge/reinstall. Well, I use the amp every day, 5 days a week for 1-2 hours while working at my desk.

Here's the kicker. The batteries have yet to need a recharge! The charger has never been out of the box. I don't know how he designed a circuit to be so energy efficient but I expected to need a charge after 40-50 hours use. I'm well over 120 hours use and still going strong. Seriously good product and a great guy to deal with. Best 60 bucks I've spent in a long while.

Sean

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 56
I own a pair of head-direct RE2s and am considering my first amp. This amp would be at the top of my price range, so do you think this would be my best bet? I have also considered FiiO, and have heard great things about it but am not sure what kind of quality I will get for $12

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a pair of head-direct RE2s and am considering my first amp. This amp would be at the top of my price range, so do you think this would be my best bet? I have also considered FiiO, and have heard great things about it but am not sure what kind of quality I will get for $12

aj, What did you end up getting? I am interested in the RE1 or RE0's and have ordered an Fiio E5 but this PA2V2 looks good.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 56
Well, can't argue with that many positive comments!

As for now, I don't have an amp, but I'm looking for one. In a brazilian head-fi forum, I read about the PA2V2 and was quite impressed. After, this thread I'm definitely going to buy one.

One thing that should be pointed out is that Gary doesn't overcharge the shipping abroad, instead he puts the same price for any country. Seriously, what a nice guy! Gotta supporte it!

A question, though, does the sennheiser hd 650 works well with it? And, the AKG 701? I'm planning on buying one of those two.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 56
Hey,

Gonna write this in English so people don`t wanna kill us.
Not very easy to see Brazilians out here.
Which Brazilian Head-fi forum do you mean?

I just ordered my PA2V2. Gary charged me about 5 or 10 Dollars surcharge for the shipping. Very Honest.

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by luiztfc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, can't argue with that many positive comments!

As for now, I don't have an amp, but I'm looking for one. In a brazilian head-fi forum, I read about the PA2V2 and was quite impressed. After, this thread I'm definitely going to buy one.

One thing that should be pointed out is that Gary doesn't overcharge the shipping abroad, instead he puts the same price for any country. Seriously, what a nice guy! Gotta supporte it!

A question, though, does the sennheiser hd 650 works well with it? And, the AKG 701? I'm planning on buying one of those two.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #15 of 56
Ever since using the Pa2v2, I never willing went ampless since, it's worth going though the "trouble" of carrying it while outside and working, it weights only like 6oz anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Back