PA2V2 Amp Report
Apr 23, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by longie11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It definitely needs the rechargeable batteries. With the regular 1.5v batteries I had a hiss in my yuin pk1s but that went away once i put in the rechargeables. Great little amp though and Gary is really a nice guy.

Tell me!!! How does the PK1 sound with PA2V2?

NAOOOO!

normal_smile .gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's supposed to be two gain tuners (blue knobs) near the battery enclosure. Try fiddling with that. Watch it though, the knobs are very sensitive, you'd want to be careful. Keep the volume of the PA2V2 at its lowest and fine tune it with a screwdriver until you get the hiss and loudness you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

I opened my pa2v2, saw the 2 knobs. However, can you or someone else, indicate me if it really does remove hissing, and which one does what, cause there is 2 of them.

If I want to 1) remove hissing and 2) lower the overall volume, as I have really sensitive headphones, what should I do?

Rotate the screw clockwise or counter-clockwise? And which one?

My batteries, connections, sources are fine, by the way...

I don't want to send my amp back to Gary just to modify such a small thing, and I'd really like to stop using a volume attenuator with it.

I know many people here have experience with the pa2v2, but I don't see any thread, anywhere, talking about the subject. I also don't want to break my amp...

Thanks in advance.

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #50 of 56
Both the blue knobs are used to adjust the gain level for the headphone. One for left driver, the other for right. What you can do is plug the PA2V2 to a source (don't play anything) and adjust the gain level until you hear no audible hiss at higher volumes, this way, you don't risk blowing your sensitive headphones.

As you adjust the gain level to remove hissing, the overall volume of the amp should be lowered too. Just to remind you, there will always be some audible hiss, depending on your source, or the recording.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #51 of 56
Thanks for the info. I will probably have some time to play with it in the weekend.

I'm very surprised I never heard anything on gain adjustment on the pa2v2 before. I guess the adjustments are the same with many portable amplifiers too. Maybe I just usually rarely hang in these forums, only about a week before and after an important purchase...
...I should probably visit the forums more often.

Thanks again for the answer.

Apr 25, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #52 of 56
I was gonna take a walk, but instead, I first listened to my pa2v2, without touching anything, and was amazed to find out the sound was extremely grainy, «AM radio style», and the right channel was completely gone.

Thankfully, it wasn't the amp, but the extremely flimsy 4 inch interconnect that came with my E5.

Then I opened it, took my trusty screwdriver, attempted to move the two big "knobs" (just over the IN and OUT of the amp, that look like AAA batteries from the outside, and from the inside, has a small black screw-like side that fits a very small flathead screwdriver). But nothing happened, to the left or to the right. Doesn't seem that sensitive. I don't want to ruin my amp either. Maybe mine are just fixed...

I don't see any other "knobs" in the amp, so mine maybe just doesn't have any kind of gain setting adjustment.

What does the "knobs" look like anyway?

By the way, it's saturday night, if you are reading my post tonight, have a drink on me!

There you go!
beerchug.gif

Cheers!

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger.McMurphy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was gonna take a walk, but instead, I first listened to my pa2v2, without touching anything, and was amazed to find out the sound was extremely grainy, «AM radio style», and the right channel was completely gone.

Thankfully, it wasn't the amp, but the extremely flimsy 4 inch interconnect that came with my E5.

Then I opened it, took my trusty screwdriver, attempted to move the two big "knobs" (just over the IN and OUT of the amp, that look like AAA batteries from the outside, and from the inside, has a small black screw-like side that fits a very small flathead screwdriver). But nothing happened, to the left or to the right. Doesn't seem that sensitive. I don't want to ruin my amp either. Maybe mine are just fixed...

I don't see any other "knobs" in the amp, so mine maybe just doesn't have any kind of gain setting adjustment.

By the way, it's saturday night, if you are reading my post tonight, have a drink on me!

There you go!
beerchug.gif

Cheers!

Wait, so your right channel started working again? That happens to me from time to time (right channel falling out), but only because the miniplug isn't entirely into the output. Inside of the amp there should be 2 small blue plastic screws. They control the gain. However, if you have an older amp, not sure how old, the gain screws aren't included.

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, so your right channel started working again? That happens to me from time to time (right channel falling out), but only because the miniplug isn't entirely into the output. Inside of the amp there should be 2 small blue plastic screws. They control the gain. However, if you have an older amp, not sure how old, the gain screws aren't included.

Thanks for the input! Seems like the plug wasn't entirely in the jack, as you said
wink.gif

The cable is still cheap, but perfectly fine!

My amp is from august 2006. Very young, but I guess it was made before that slight change was made.

I know some sellers here probably could hate me for that, but people should be advised that the new ones have gain adjustments. People should be aware that newer ones have that small option available. It's a nice touch, and if I were to buy a pa2v2, I would like to play with those.

By the way, it is a very fun and energetic, very aggressive amp.

Not so smooth, not so musical, yet fun. I don't like the word, but yes, it is most definitely colored. I like it. I would have liked a little less hissing, and more volume control with my headphones though.

Thanks for the input!

Here's one for you to!
beerchug.gif

Good night!

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #55 of 56
Darts! I'm working tonight.
frown.gif
but hey, cheers!
beerchug.gif

The two gain knobs I mentioned earlier are located near the battery enclosure. Its paired up closely together, and they're blue. Have fun tweaking.
smily_headphones1.gif

It was never mentioned in the website, Gary told me himself via email.

Quote:

There you go!
beerchug.gif

Cheers!

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #56 of 56
Quote:

Thanks for the input! Seems like the plug wasn't entirely in the jack, as you said
wink.gif

The cable is still cheap, but perfectly fine!

My amp is from august 2006. Very young, but I guess it was made before that slight change was made.

I know some sellers here probably could hate me for that, but people should be advised that the new ones have gain adjustments. People should be aware that newer ones have that small option available. It's a nice touch, and if I were to buy a pa2v2, I would like to play with those.

By the way, it is a very fun and energetic, very aggressive amp.

Not so smooth, not so musical, yet fun. I don't like the word, but yes, it is most definitely colored. I like it. I would have liked a little less hissing, and more volume control with my headphones though.

Thanks for the input!

Here's one for you to!
beerchug.gif

Good night!

Pleased to be able to help. The cable won't have an impact at this stage in the game
wink.gif
. I got my PA2V2 just this last Christmas, and Gary mentioned it in his communique. I don't totally know how to use the screws, so I haven't messed around with them.
With hissing, a lot of the time it is due to using Alkaline AA batteries instead of the slightly lower voltage rechargable NiMH's which the amp was made for. I use non-rechargable 'ultradigital' batteries, and those do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back