Owning 1 vs 2 endgame systems?
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #46 of 62
Make sure to run the Susvara on the Hi impedance mode with the WA23. It gives better drive to Susvara on high impedance output :)
Yeah, that is what I am doing on the Orr/Hypos. I run the volume up to 75% of max depending on the song. Is that normal, or just a function of the power hungry Sus? I could play it at max volume and there would not be any problem, would there?

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #47 of 62
You fellows are luring me 😏 towards Donald North Audio Stellaris !! All this 2A3 talk 🤪. [I love Sonett 2]

The wait time for Stellaris is insane. An insane patience is needed!

Anyhow, why not upgrade your Sonnett to Supernaut :)

1705294658256.png

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #48 of 62
You fellows are luring me 😏 towards Donald North Audio Stellaris !! All this 2A3 talk 🤪. [I love Sonett 2]
I'd go for the Stratus v4 first. Same Audio Note transformers and transformers truly make the amp in OTC tube amps.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #49 of 62
Yeah, that is what I am doing on the Orr/Hypos. I run the volume up to 75% of max depending on the song. Is that normal, or just a function of the power hungry Sus? I could play it at max volume and there would not be any problem, would there?

WA23 can play at max volume all the time and you should not have any problems other than your input voltage to the WA23 might be too much (i.e. more than 4V on balanced) then you get clipping

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #50 of 62
WA23 can play at max volume all the time and you should not have any problems other than your input voltage to the WA23 might be too much (i.e. more than 4V on balanced) then you get clipping
Well the Wa23 is on its way! I'm assuming I have joyous neutral sound with the Ferrum and the WA23 will give me joyous tube sound. Or I can combine the two. So at this point I just need to determine which of the three options I prefer and roll with that forward. And after these options it runs into seriously diminishing returns.

Do folks have thoughts on how I identify what DAC sound I like? I got the Qutest because it seemed like a popular neutral sound. What would be the opposite end of the spectrum I could try? Is that an R2R such as Holo Spring or May, which are more analog (so I read). If I like the Qutest, would a material upgrade be to get an Mscaler? Or is that far along the diminishing returns?

Appreciate all the input from others. This site has been awesome, especially when buying blind.

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #51 of 62
Qutest is pretty analog sounding in the Chord lineup. I think DAVE with MScaler should be your next upgrade because you would need to have variable voltage for WA23 to get the lowest input voltage without clipping. Tube amps are more sensitive to input voltage level and they generally prefer under 2V in RCA inputs.

I myself use a line attenuator coming in to my tube amp to prevent overloading the driver tubes and cause clipping

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #52 of 62
Qutest is pretty analog sounding in the Chord lineup. I think DAVE with MScaler should be your next upgrade because you would need to have variable voltage for WA23 to get the lowest input voltage without clipping. Tube amps are more sensitive to input voltage level and they generally prefer under 2V in RCA inputs.

I myself use a line attenuator coming in to my tube amp to prevent overloading the driver tubes and cause clipping
Alright, you've given me more homework to understand those concepts :). What level should i set the Qutest on with Orr/Hyp and Susvara? Leave at 2V or set it to 3V?

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #53 of 62
Either 2V or 3V is fine. The input sensitivity applies much more to tube amps that uses tube for driver stage (such as the WA23).

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #54 of 62

Great googly moogly. That combo is $19k for just to use as a DAC? Are you saying it is a rare piece of equipment than provides an unparallel sonic experience, that is apparent even when compared to other TOTL gear? I'll have to hear that first, and even then it would need to give me several orgasms daily for that price. And if my wife googled it and found out how much it cost I'd have to buy her a bunch of designer purses to even it out. How about under $10K?

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #55 of 62
Just keep the Qutest and save for a DAVE with MScaler. You’d still have trade-offs on other qualities that you enjoy with Qutest with little upgrade here and there but DAVE with MScaler is a true upgrade without any true compromises

Jan 30, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #56 of 62
Either 2V or 3V is fine. The input sensitivity applies much more to tube amps that uses tube for driver stage (such as the WA23).
So I've listened to both the Luna and the Orr/HYP for a couple weeks each, and I find myself preferring the Luna so far. What setting sensitivity should I be using for the Luna?

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #57 of 62
2V for sure! Usually the closer to the input sensitivity rating, the better. I’m 100% sure it’s somewhere between 1V - 2V from Qutest. You can also try 1V and hear if it sounds better than 2V

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #58 of 62
I have a Naim Uniti in my living room tied to my turntable, and a Woo WA22 & D400EX in the office, with ZMF, Audeze and Sennheiser to swap around as I please. Having the all in one, and then the nerdy, esoteric system in the office, works for me.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #59 of 62
Well, Susvara is NOTORIOUS for revealing all the flaws of the recording. Use a different endgame dynamic headphone for those recordings. ZMF Atrium is amazing for those purposes :)
Vet, how does the Atrium compare to the Caldera in that regard? Does the Caldera also play well with lesser recording like the Atrium? I like the idea of a HP for lesser recordings, but would not want two ZMFs.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #60 of 62
Atrium is a slower, more of macro-focused sustain in the notes than most planars out there. Since you already have the Sus, I tend to lean towards the opposite end of its spectrum for complementary. The only thing that Atrium shares with the Utopia is the Slam! And IMHO, Atrium stages wider and deeper than Caldera (on the chains that I’ve tried so far including the dCS Lina Stack) so you won’t miss much staging from the Susvara

Users who are viewing this thread

Back