Owners of ATH ESW9, which portable amp is the best?
Apr 1, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #16 of 40
Thanks all of you guys.

So, I have several options, which is very nice, but my wallet going to hate me again
biggrin.gif

MiniBox E+ with the 8610 opamp
SR71
Pico DAC

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #17 of 40
Vicki, just trying to extrapolate here. since you liked the pairing with the sr71 do you think the hornet and the tomahawk would work well with the esw-9s?

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have experience with the Predator and the ESW-9?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about RSA The Predator
cool.gif

Near perfect with the ESW9,imho.

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #21 of 40
Thanks, would you sell one to me
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How many hours do you have on your Predator? Because if it's near perfect with less than 300 hrs on it, I'm getting excited with how it would sound with about 1000 hrs on it.

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vicki, just trying to extrapolate here. since you liked the pairing with the sr71 do you think the hornet and the tomahawk would work well with the esw-9s?

Maybe, but maybe not. It's been awhile since I've owned or heard those amps, and I've always preferred the SR-71 to them, so I won't hazard to guess at this point how they might sound with the ESW9s. I will check it out at CamJam.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #24 of 40
I'll 2nd the Minibox-E+, but new stock version. I prefer it to the Pico and Hornet M, which I have both owned. The Minibox-E+ is the most accurate sounding of the three amps to my ears, and thus pairs well with the colorations of the ESW-9.

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll 2nd the Minibox-E+, but new stock version. I prefer it to the Pico and Hornet M, which I have both owned. The Minibox-E+ is the most accurate sounding of the three amps to my ears, and thus pairs well with the colorations of the ESW-9.

The 8610 is the stock version unless they've changed things.

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 8610 is the stock version unless they've changed things.

Ok, I'm not familiar with the technical implementation of the stock amp, so I just assumed that was a modded version.

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #27 of 40
I've just ordered an ESW9 and a 2Move in the last couple days. At Canjam I'm going to spend some time with Boomana's Minibox-E+ and see which I like better. I could've just followed Vicki's recommendation for the Minibox, but that would be boring. Let's see what Mr Meier can do for me here.

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just ordered an ESW9 and a 2Move in the last couple days. At Canjam I'm going to spend some time with Boomana's Minibox-E+ and see which I like better. I could've just followed Vicki's recommendation for the Minibox, but that would be boring. Let's see what Mr Meier can do for me here.

And since I've never heard the 2Move, I could end up liking yours better and swipe it away from you.
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #29 of 40
I use both my Hornet and Lisa lll with my ESW9s they both work well but have very different presentations. Lisa is alot more detailed and fast bass and hornet seems more ironed out on all but easier to listen to over a long period of time. Lisa sounds out of your price range though.

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico works very well. It's quite neutral, transparent, and detailed, any additional warmth or bass boost would be an overkill of ESW9. And you'll get world class USB DAC as a bonus.
wink.gif

I would agree, I've been trying the ESW9 with the Headroom Portable Micro and while it does sound good, the bass is very prominent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back