Owners of ATH ESW9, which portable amp is the best?
Mar 31, 2008 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
I have some feeling that I may need another amp for my ATH ESW9, but not sure which one. At the moment I use GoVibe PETITE USB DAC version and while this combo works pretty well, I am thinking of some other options. Here are my points:

1. Better mids
2. More accurate&tighter bass
3. Silky, but not rolled off highs

It doesn't mean that all these points are bad, only think that they could be better, that's all.

THX

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some feeling that I may need another amp for my ATH ESW9, but not sure which one. At the moment I use GoVibe PETITE USB DAC version and while this combo works pretty well, I am thinking of some other options. Here are my points:

1. Better mids
2. More accurate&tighter bass
3. Silky, but not rolled off highs

It doesn't mean that all these points are bad, only think that they could be better, that's all.

THX

I often read that the iQube has a nice synergy with the ESW9, but I only have the amp so better listen to people who have both.
But I am almost 100% that point 2 and 3 will be fulfilled, the bass sounds super tight.

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 40
x2. I only have the iQube and can see why pairing it with a warm headphone would be nice. Skylab has both and seems to like the combo quite a bit. You might want to PM him and ask.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, but USD 500 is quit a lot. Any other suggestions?

You might want to specify a budget in that case so people can take that into account when making a suggestion.

Have you looked at the Graham Slee Voyager ? I can't speak to the combination with ESW9s but the Voyager is a superb amp. I sold my Larocco PRII mkII to purchase a Voyager. That should tell you a bit about it. The iqube is a v.neutral amp. The voyager is warmer than the iQube but not as warm sounding as the PRII. So it should still pair nicely with the ESW9s would be my guess. I dont have the ESW9s to test the combo so this is the best info I can provide at this point.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 40
Thanks for suggestion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you looked at the Graham Slee Voyager ? I can't speak to the combination with ESW9s but the Voyager is a superb amp. I sold my Larocco PRII mkII to purchase a Voyager. That should tell you a bit about it. The voyager is slightly warmer than the iQube but not as warm sounding as the PRII. So it should still pair nicely with the ESW9s would be my guess. I dont have the ESW9s to test the combo so this is the best info I can provide at this point.

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 40
Pico works very well. It's quite neutral, transparent, and detailed, any additional warmth or bass boost would be an overkill of ESW9. And you'll get world class USB DAC as a bonus.
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 40
Other than a couple amps, which I wouldn't recommend unless bought used, the best sounding portable I've heard with the ESW9s was the MiniBox E+ with the 8610 opamp. The Pico is also quite nice, but if the op is looking to spend a little less, at $179 the MiniBox E+ is the best I've heard under $500, though it doesn't do much to help the soundstage. Amps I've tried with the ESW9:

ibasso D2 (not good)
ibasso P2 (not good)
iQube (didn't like)
Little Dot portable (I forget it's name. I liked it, but not with the ESW9s)
ttvj Millet portable (nice amp, NOT for the ESW9)
Voyager (NO NO NO)
GoVibe Petite (not good)
SR-71 (quite nice if you can get one)
Pico (good)
LaRocco PRII/8620s (yes)
LaRocco Diablo (yep)
Mini ^3 (also good budget solution)
MiniBox E+ (My recommendation under $500)

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 40
boomana, out of curiosity - why is the Voyager a NO NO in your opinion. Is it the synergy with the ESW9 that's a no no or the amp in general. As an amp I LOVE the voyager but like I mentioned in my last post I have not heard it with the ESW9s. Can you elaborate a bit ?

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
boomana, out of curiosity - why is the Voyager a NO NO in your opinion. Is it the synergy with the ESW9 that's a no no or the amp in general. As an amp I LOVE the voyager but like I mentioned in my last post I have not heard it with the ESW9s. Can you elaborate a bit ?

The Voyager is not to my taste in general, but specific to the ESW9s, it made the sound heavy, and the bass a bloated mess.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 40
CORDA 2MOVE is also good.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Voyager is not to my taste in general, but specific to the ESW9s, it made the sound heavy, and the bass a bloated mess.

Vicky, did you get a chance to listen to the Voyager with vorlon1's ESW9's? For those who are not following these headphones there is quite a bit of difference between pairs. I believe Vicky can expand on the differences better than I.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vicky, did you get a chance to listen to the Voyager with vorlon1's ESW9's? For those who are not following these headphones there is quite a bit of difference between pairs. I believe Vicky can expand on the differences better than I.

No, I didn't, which could make a difference. Rob's pair had less bass emphasis, and more treble. His pair had about 100 hours on them, so it wasn't a matter of break-in. My pair changed only subtly since I took them out of the box, mostly in the midrange (smoother), and hadn't changed to my ears after the first 20-30 hours or thereabouts. Others have suggested the fit might have made a difference, but they felt the same. Also, Miguel, Rob and I all have different sized head (kinda like the three bears), and we all heard the same differences. Both sounded good, just different. The Voyager would probably sound better with Rob's pair, but as I mentioned, the amp, in general, wasn't to my taste, and I prefered many in the above list to it. If the Voyager has a sound you like, you may also like it with the ESW9s. That amp and the ibassos (miguel would know which op amps, but I didn't like any) would be the lowest on my list if I were ranking them, both in general, and with the ESW9s, though the I liked the Voyager better than the ibassos with other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back