Owners of ATH ESW9, which portable amp is the best?
Apr 6, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And since I've never heard the 2Move, I could end up liking yours better and swipe it away from you.
biggrin.gif

Perhaps you will and perhaps you wont.
biggrin.gif
I have listened to both and prefer the MiniBox-E+. Others like Skylab prefer the 2Move. Different ears/cans/sources/music etc.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vicky, did you get a chance to listen to the Voyager with vorlon1's ESW9's? For those who are not following these headphones there is quite a bit of difference between pairs. I believe Vicky can expand on the differences better than I.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.

I bought two pairs and they sound exactly alike, but then again, they might come from the same batch, or perhaps the variations inside tolerances were the same on both by coincidence.

Thanks all for your input. I'm a bit lazy and I'll try to use them unamped for portable but it is good to know this just in case the sometimes uncontrolled bass ends annoying me too much. Cheers.

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #33 of 40
I've been using the ESW9's with a mini^3 and have been very pleased, but I
think they sound pretty good unamped as well
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #35 of 40
I have tried the ESW9 with all 3 of my amps (RudiStor RPX-100, iBasso D1 and Xin SuperMini-IV) and find that it works best with the D1 and second place is RPX-100 out of the high impedance output.

My general findings on the ESW9 that I got in a swap with antonyfirst where he got my Tripple.fi are that in general I agree with his description about them being grown up Tripple.fi's. They clearly have better bottom end (going towards the sound of my L3000) but I think they are worse in the top end. When the music gets complex on large scale choral or orchestral works there is a harshness or edge to the top that I don't like and that I also find to a much lesser degree on the L3000 but not at all on GS-1000, Tripple.fi, ER4 or im716. With rock, blues jazz and chamber music they are great and also work fine on a Mozart symphony. I think the description that Blacmore gave in a pm is very correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
What I have noticed is that sometimes, when the sound gets to extended/wide with TRANCE or OPERA , they do produce some strange reflection sound. What I mean is I get some feeling that the sound hits the wooden cups and reflecting back with strange result, which is not pleasant and do remind me the sound when your head inside foundry iron pan. So, when you hit the pan, you get that DING thing. It does not take a long time, just a second, but it hits your ears, especially with high volume. Can you follow this If you listen to TRANCE or CLUB music you may notice this as well, however I do believe that this happened not only with TRANCE, but other styles to. I need to listen to them more to understand what that is, but at high volume they loose their balance, I think, because they can not handle the large scale tracks. but once again when using with high volume, cos other than that they are very good, especially JAZZ.

I notice this the least with the D1 and the most with the SuperMini but it's there to some degree on all my amps.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #36 of 40
Thanks Jan. I think the problem that caused this are thick wood of the cups. They should made it a bit massive than it is, so it wouldnt tinkle like this and damp the sound better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried the ESW9 with all 3 of my amps (RudiStor RPX-100, iBasso D1 and Xin SuperMini-IV) and find that it works best with the D1 and second place is RPX-100 out of the high impedance output.

My general findings on the ESW9 that I got in a swap with antonyfirst where he got my Tripple.fi are that in general I agree with his description about them being grown up Tripple.fi's. They clearly have better bottom end (going towards the sound of my L3000) but I think they are worse in the top end. When the music gets complex on large scale choral or orchestral works there is a harshness or edge to the top that I don't like and that I also find to a much lesser degree on the L3000 but not at all on GS-1000, Tripple.fi, ER4 or im716. With rock, blues jazz and chamber music they are great and also work fine on a Mozart symphony. I think the description that Blacmore gave in a pm is very correct.

I notice this the least with the D1 and the most with the SuperMini but it's there to some degree on all my amps.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #37 of 40
Interesting. Have you considered damping the back chamber with some cotton, fiberloft or Dynamat as Markl did on the D5000? Would the space available behind the driver allow it? Maybe a small tweak takes those phones to some serious performance level.

Rgrds

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #38 of 40
Well, it is not a huge issue, just something I noticed with several tracks, so to open up them and play around isnt a good idea, especially with my skills
biggrin.gif

Also I think that deeper cups may resolve this by giving the sound more space or something, just the thoughts, cos I am not a technical guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. Have you considered damping the back chamber with some cotton, fiberloft or Dynamat as Markl did on the D5000? Would the space available behind the driver allow it? Maybe a small tweak takes those phones to some serious performance level.

Rgrds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back