Overview of Compression and Audio in General
Jan 22, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #61 of 79
Quote:

???-an equivalent analog recording system would be 10x the price dude.

Eh? If I can pick up a 1/2" 8-track recorder for $500, then all I need is a mixer (actually, don't even need one of those, could control it via the computer, but I want one anyway) and the computer. Software is free; I plan on using a Linux based one that's designed to be like Protools. (no, it's not Audacity. But that is a handy little tool) Can't remember what it's called right now. Anyway, I figure total, $1500-$2000. Oh, yeah, that is 10x... still, I want it. After all... fanboys don't reason, they attack
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jan 22, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #62 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
And inicidentally, as long as I'm already off on a thread crap here, there were many 8-track cart home recorders, both stand alone components and built into the then popular all-in-one compact systems.

How did people handle the weird spaces as the system moved from one track to another? I remember that this was a huge issue with the prerecorded 8-tracks my cousin loved -- lots of fade-in and fade-out during songs. Even at that tender age, I knew this had to be audio pain.

Jan 22, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #63 of 79
It could be due to the new technology factor. Get excited enough about the latest and greatest, and you tend to overlook it's shortcomings. And I imagine the audiophiles of the day just held on to their LP's.

Jan 22, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #64 of 79
yeah, but i've told you so many times already....... for $500 you will not get a well-performing 8-track reel to reel. it will need tuning and maintenance. new belts maybe... new heads. and that will cost you a fortune. the maintenance for these things cost more than what it will cost you to buy the recorder itself! and you didn't look at how much one tape costs did you?--they are EXPENSIVE. 1/2in-1in tapes will cost you a lot. drop buy your local pro audio store and try to buy a tape... it'll probably scare you into buying the digital system.
wink.gif

analog is VERY expensive. that's one reason why everyone is going digital. that's why 30 years ago only pro big studios did the music... and now why any joe can do it.

Jan 22, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #65 of 79
I dunno; the people on eBay were quite adamant that they were in good condition. Then again, that is eBay. I really need to find a store that has used analog equipment, so I can actually try some out, and get realistic prices. You have to catch auctions on the last few minutes to get an accurate idea of prices.

And tapes aren't that bad. Aren't they like $20 for a couple thousand feet? I suppose it'd depend on the speed of the recorder, though. 30ips would be, um, I think about 13 minutes, if I did my math right, and if the reel was 2000 feet long. That would be kinda expensive.

Jan 22, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #66 of 79
well, i was under the impression the tapes costed a lot more. i remember last time i saw the tapes at Guitar Center being about $50 each for 1/4in? but i could have been mistaken. but it depends on the thickness of your tape. i think 8-track is probably on 1/2in tapes... and that'll cost quite a bit. i dunno... don't quote me on the price... i've never shopped for those things. i just know they cost a lot, and a lot more than i can afford.
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #67 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
It could be due to the new technology factor. Get excited enough about the latest and greatest, and you tend to overlook it's shortcomings. And I imagine the audiophiles of the day just held on to their LP's.

As I understand it, the main attraction of 8-track cartridges were that they were the first readily available recorded music techology that allowed playback in the car.

Jan 22, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #68 of 79
Ah yes, true. Although I believe Cadillac (could have been Buick) had an in-dash LP player in the 60's. Looked hilarious.

Jan 22, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #71 of 79
Yup, although the one I saw was built into the dash, like CD players are now. But in any case, yeah, it's amazing. My dad wondered how they kept them from jumping tracks. Some sorta suspension is all I can figure.

Jan 22, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #72 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
Through use of the attack/release settings on the compressor.

You can exagerate attacks as well as smooth them out.

But then wouldn't you be using it as a dynamic expander and actually reducing the maximum RMS level of sound you can record?

Eh
redface.gif
redface.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 22, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #73 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
Yup, although the one I saw was built into the dash, like CD players are now. But in any case, yeah, it's amazing. My dad wondered how they kept them from jumping tracks. Some sorta suspension is all I can figure.

It was Chrsyler originally, and they played 45s. I think Ford then came out with one that played at 16RPM. I don't believe they were designed to use while the car was in motion.

I their earlier years, 8-tracks sounded better than cassettes (which were designed as a dication format). Fidelity was much more dependant on tape speed back then. 8-track carts run at 3 3/4.

Jan 22, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #74 of 79
This is like 5 pages back but...

Tool is a band that suffers really badly from compression in particular. Tool's drummer Danny Carey is freaking AWESOME. THe percussion is something that helps make tool the unique sounding layered band that it is. Since compression takes out "soft" sounds in favor of "louder" sounds you lose a ton of the dynamics of the other music when the percussion is going crazy-go-nuts-awesome. It's noticable with Tool moreso than a lot of other bands.

Jan 23, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #75 of 79
Tool still has less compression than some bands. I think their drumming sounds pretty good. At the end of Disposition, the bouncing ball sound is very good sounding. Of course, this could just be due to well used compression...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back