Overview of Compression and Audio in General
Jan 21, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #46 of 79
No, no... 8 track as in 8 seperate tracks to record to, on one tape. It's then mixed down to 1 or 2 tracks for mono or stereo, respectively.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jan 21, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #47 of 79
Well, I don't know how necessary compression is in your average recording--I just want to hear the singer's voice more clearly in this song and that song in my collection, instead of having this 'wall of sound' drown out the voice, and this constant sound of static in my ears (yes, I can almost literally hear the white noise in a compressed recording >,<)

And I don't know what people here mean when they say compression gives drums more snap. Compression makes the onset and decay sound just about as loud as the attack itself. How does that make things sound more impactful??
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 21, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #49 of 79
What would be good would be if there's a future format that includes all the tracks of the song separately, and the player mixes them and does post-processing on the fly. Then you can alter the mix and all the post-processing settings to your heart's content, including the compression settings
600smile.gif

Eh well, one can dream
frown.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 21, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #50 of 79
I agree, that would be schweet, except the market it would cater to is extremely niche. If, for some odd reason, Joe Musicdude decided to buy one of those CD's, he'd end up just pissed off because he screwed up the settings and it ended up sounding like crap.

Still, you're right, one can dream...

EDIT: This is my 333rd post. Not that it matters. But it's halfway to 666. Muhaha.

Jan 21, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #52 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Especially when it comes to classical, which in concert conditions, is normally heard unamplified and in a resonant hall.

And which sound dramtically different than most classical recordings.

Jan 21, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #53 of 79
Quote:

Most of the pre-recorded 8-tracks (which were the only 8-tracks I ever saw) were of simply awful quality. The quality was far worse than the pre-recorded casette tapes of the 1980s, for example.

Even if you can find a player, good luck finding the software for it. (I don't remember ever seeing home 8-track recorders -- did they exist?)

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 21, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #54 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs

And I don't know what people here mean when they say compression gives drums more snap. Compression makes the onset and decay sound just about as loud as the attack itself. How does that make things sound more impactful??
confused.gif

Through use of the attack/release settings on the compressor.

You can exagerate attacks as well as smooth them out.

Jan 21, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #56 of 79
Quote:

You are talking 8-track cartridges, right?

A picture of my 8-track deck (meaning 8-track stereo cart player in this case) is up on that site.

And inicidentally, as long as I'm already off on a thread crap here, there were many 8-track cart home recorders, both stand alone components and built into the then popular all-in-one compact systems.

Jan 22, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #58 of 79
Quote:

and even if it's $700, you still need to replace the heads and junk. it's not worth it man. compromise. when you're a rich world famous producer you can buy one then.

I want an analog setup for multiple reasons. I think a pure digital setup sounds too perfect, (although who knows; maybe some of those acoustic simulators are actually worth something) I don't want my masters to be limited by sampling rate, (yes, I know you can record up to 192/24 with digital, which theoretically, is enough for years to come) and I like the aesthetics of analog. There's something cool about watching big reels spin around, or big vinyl discs, for that matter.

And besides, I'd still have to buy a decent souncard to record purely digital, which is going to be $200-$300.

Jan 22, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #60 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
Through use of the attack/release settings on the compressor.

You can exagerate attacks as well as smooth them out.

plus... since the compressor is also bringing out the decaying sound of the snare you also get a more exciting sound. just a bare recorded snare sounds, well, like a snare.... but the compressed version does sound snappier. it just seems to hit harder, contrary to what logic might tell you. it's like the equivalent of turning up the volume of the snare without actually causing it to clip beyond the dynamic range of your recording system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back