Overhyping IEMs on Head-Fi?
Jun 7, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #121 of 125
One man's aural climax is another man's hype, vise versa.

[size=xx-small]
*inspired by your friendly neighbor Jerry Harvey.[/size]

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #122 of 125
hype is great, its the aftermath that gets a bit boring. i mean after all the hype the best set of headphones ever arrives, its better than everything else in every way and then 6 months later its just another option, no longer is it better than the rest but just another option.

repeat rinse repeat.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #123 of 125
yes, i love that one. how can the best be bettered? haha. but, i think it unfair to call headphones fotm also. the um2, shure e500, hd650, dt880, and many many others have been 'fotm' from someone or another and years later, still stand their ground, but now, not as fotm's but as stolid companions to serious listener's rigs.

while it gets annoying when everyone has to have the new item or the new item must destroy all other items, the fact is that no matter the hype, oftentimes, the new product truly is a great product.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #124 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, i love that one. how can the best be bettered? haha. but, i think it unfair to call headphones fotm also. the um2, shure e500, hd650, dt880, and many many others have been 'fotm' from someone or another and years later, still stand their ground, but now, not as fotm's but as stolid companions to serious listener's rigs.

while it gets annoying when everyone has to have the new item or the new item must destroy all other items, the fact is that no matter the hype, oftentimes, the new product truly is a great product.

precisely, you said what my brain didnt translate to my mouth lol, most of the time the most hyped headphones are awesome, but is there a best? no, never.

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #125 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One basic rule: do not be afraid to question the poster about his or her experience with other gear to get a gauge on his or her references when reading posts. People come to this forum with a variety of backgrounds in audio appreciation (different than music appreciation), and enthusiasm mixed with inexperience often comes off as hype. There's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about something you're enjoying, but, and for example, I'm enthusiastic about my new car, which is the best I've ever owned, and far better than the piece of crappola ten-year-old Buick I was driving with duct tape on the bumper. I'm going to talk about loving my car, but you should never listen to anything I say as any kind of expert statement on any car, including the very one I own and am praising. My new car, in fact, may be crappier than most on the road. I don't care. I like it and will tell you so, but I'd strongly advise you go looking elsewhere for more experienced opinions before considering buying one.

Couldn't agree more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back