Overhyping IEMs on Head-Fi?
Jun 5, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #61 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, it looks like the FX500's or whatever they're called, along with the JH13 Pro's. Appreciation thread was started before anyone even tried them, and with the JVC's they've been out for a while and now they're magically better than the IE8's for half the cost. I'm not sure I really buy that one, but I haven't heard them so this is merely pointless conjecture.

Yeah, I've been thinking that the JH13 thread needs a stub warning like Wikipedia has:

This thread is a stub. It does not contain any first hand information, since these IEM's have not been released yet. It will be filled in with first hand information and/or first hand hype when the product is released.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #62 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IEM's or the Headphones?

used to be IEM but now headphones
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #63 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, it looks like the FX500's or whatever they're called, along with the JH13 Pro's. Appreciation thread was started before anyone even tried them, and with the JVC's they've been out for a while and now they're magically better than the IE8's for half the cost. I'm not sure I really buy that one, but I haven't heard them
so this is merely pointless conjecture.

Yes, it's pointless conjecture, and not really helpful when trying to decide if one pair of earphones sounds better than another pair. Also, 'better' is subjective, remember? If one person who has heard both says the JVC is better to their ears than the IE8, how is that hype? If another person (me), says the treble and bass is nicer to my ears than the IE8, how is that hype?

I think you're confusing hype with a couple of people posting their thoughts about the differences they hear between the JVC and IE8, and it's not really the same thing. I bought the PFE because the hype was that they were in the same league as the W3 for a third of the cost. I did hear them, this isn't conjecture, I read all the praise, they weren't in the same league, I got rid of them.

Tony-
I don't mind appreciation threads that contain both positive and negative points of view. But it's rare for appreciation threads to welcome negative comments, simply because of the thread title
icon10.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #64 of 125
Also, in some instances, since a person spends $300-$400 and more on an IEM they have a built-in bias that since that spent that much it must be totally awesome (to justify the purchase).

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #65 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, 'better' is subjective, remember? If one person who has heard both says the JVC is better to their ears than the IE8, how is that hype? If another person (me), says the treble and bass is nicer to my ears than the IE8, how is that hype?

I think you're confusing hype with a couple of people posting their thoughts about the differences they hear between the JVC and IE8, and it's not really the same thing. I bought the PFE because the hype was that they were in the same league as the W3 for a third of the cost. I did hear them, this isn't conjecture, I read all the praise, they weren't in the same league, I got rid of them.

Going by your very own words you also have a misunderstanding of 'hype'. If someone hears the PFE's and it is 'in the same league'' to 'them' than the W3's then how, using your very own derivations, can that be deemed as 'hype'?

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #66 of 125
I think hype can conclude to a few reason

1. The gap between middle iem and high end gap is diminishing.Sometimes middle level end could have chance to win over high end in either of the bass/ soundstage/ treble which some people prefer one over other by his taste. If you had no love to er4 as you found it lack of bass and deep low end note, you may prefer listen at IE7 instead.

2. Untrained ear. Comment based on personal taste rather than what it is right. That is nothing wrong as musics is personal joy. Some one love bloated bass.The worst match is you believe to the wrong people reivew which have totally different taste with you, then pull the trigger.

3. Brun in effect. No one can ensure each IEM would head to same way after burn in.

4. Right tips and a get a decent seal, without that, even the greatest IEM in world sounds thin and unnatural. For me, it often take a few days to find a best spot, I know people may give up before that.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #67 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, in some instances, since a person spends $300-$400 and more on an IEM they have a built-in bias that since that spent that much it must be totally awesome (to justify the purchase).

Yes, luckily most people lose that attitude after having tried a few (buy-resell), so they don't really become affectioned to an object, but to the sound it can produce.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #68 of 125
Julie,

Yes one of the reasons for I dislike (and usually don't post much on) "appreciation threads" is because they are not conceived for discussion, just a sort of infinite and ongoing praise. Maybe we should try to establish a different trend, like a "XXX headphone comparison thread" or "discussion thread" . It's something you did with certain success back then, when you discovered those Denon C700.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #69 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very true. I can't understand that mentality though in those instances. If it's me and I've just bought something at that price, and don't like them so well... then I simply return them or sell them. I don't feel the need to go reading/posting all over and taking part in the hype to try and convince myself that they must be great, even though that may not be what I hear. Maybe people like that haven't really 'graduated' up from newbie Head-Fi'ers, despite their post counts, since they trust hype instead of their ears.
icon10.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #70 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going by your very own words you also have a misunderstanding of 'hype'. If someone hears the PFE's and it is 'in the same league'' to 'them' than the W3's then how, using your very own derivations, can that be deemed as 'hype'?

You're right. I should have said it was hype to me.

Of course it wouldn't be hype to anyone else who thought they were in the same league as the W3.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #72 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Julie,

Yes one of the reasons for I dislike (and usually don't post much on) "appreciation threads" is because they are not conceived for discussion, just a sort of infinite and ongoing praise. Maybe we should try to establish a different trend, like a "XXX headphone comparison thread" or "discussion thread" . It's something you did with certain success back then, when you discovered those Denon C700.

LOL, true. If you are trying to say something bad "appreciation threads", that would be endless dispute

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #73 of 125
And now it's a 3-way-game: ES3X, UE11Pro, JH13Pro

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #75 of 125
And they are customs, which is a different cathegory from the usual universal IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back