Over Ear Headphones Recommendation
Jun 21, 2017 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

ryno1507

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Looking at getting into the over ear headphones game. I'm thinking I want to go some headphones I can run with an amp too. Basically looking for some recommendations on where to start. I listen to a variety of music, with a focus on post hard-core and rock style but I do love to listen to the occasional acoustic music.

I've had a look around the web but can't seem to land on some equipment. Would love to hear your suggestions. My budget is around $300 give or take I'd say, but can be easily swayed ; ). I'm also from Australia.

Thanks.

Ryan

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 34
I think some things to consider would be:
1) What is your listening environment? If you will be somewhere relatively quiet when you listen, consider open-backed headphones. They typically sound more natural than normal closed pairs. On the other hand, they leak sound so if you are around picky people or want to wear your headphones in public, go closed-back.
2) What type of music format do you listen to? If you are listening to lossy mp3 or Pandora stream, high-end headphones won't be worth it since they need some quality lossless music to sound their best.
3) Is your budget including money for an amp or dac? Depending on the headphone you want, an amplifier is strongly recommended. Even easy to drive headphones benefit from an amp. A dac is nice if your computer soundcard isn't very good. They also help when stepping up to lossless formats such as 24/192 flac, and will retrieve more detail from your music than your motherboards sound chip. You can always save the amp and dac for later when you upgrade!

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 34
Some places to start also:
Sennheiser HD598
Audio-Technica M40x
Beyerdynamic DT880

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 34
1) What is your listening environment? If you will be somewhere relatively quiet when you listen, consider open-backed headphones. They typically sound more natural than normal closed pairs. On the other hand, they leak sound so if you are around picky people or want to wear your headphones in public, go closed-back.
2) What type of music format do you listen to? If you are listening to lossy mp3 or Pandora stream, high-end headphones won't be worth it since they need some quality lossless music to sound their best.
3) Is your budget including money for an amp or dac? Depending on the headphone you want, an amplifier is strongly recommended. Even easy to drive headphones benefit from an amp. A dac is nice if your computer soundcard isn't very good. They also help when stepping up to lossless formats such as 24/192 flac, and will retrieve more detail from your music than your motherboards sound chip. You can always save the amp and dac for later when you upgrade!

1) I will predominantly be using these whilst at work, which is an office environment in which I would prefer closed backed headphones to block out other colleagues taking phone calls, having conversations, etc.
2) The music format I will most commonly be listening to would be through Spotify. I will most likely experiment with high quality lossless music, but for the most part it will be through streaming. I don't think I will be using them with my computer much.
3) I could probably push to $350 in terms of my budget if it included the amp or dac. Looking for suggestions either way, even if it is a little north of what I've said is my budget.

Thanks for the help.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 34
For rock and guitar oriented music in a closed back the options are a bit limited.I would suggest looking into the Meze 99.Quite a few members in the metal thread love them.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 34
I've heard good things about the Meze 99, M40X, even the MDR 1A may work for you. As far as I know none of those need amps.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 34
You might also check out the Oppo PM-3. It's possible it could work for you. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It's an orthodynamic, in case you didn't know. Cool headphone.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 34
If you're planning to use them mainly in an office setting, and go for anything other than closed back, it's a sure fire way to annoy your colleagues :wink: Just sayin'. It would get on my last nerve if someone were using open-back or semi open-back headphones at work; leaky earbuds are bad enough!

At your stated budget, maybe Senn HD 8 DJ worth a look too. Kinda bass heavy, but I personally like that for rock music.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #11 of 34
I don't know what they go for in your region, but the PSB M4U1/NAD Viso HP50 are favorite closed backs of mine.

Another option, which hasn't really been discussed, is IEMS. Just sayin... The Dunu Titan's sound great and don't break the bank.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #12 of 34
Thanks for the replies! If I don't limit myself to a closed back style, are there better options out there to look at?
In my opinion, and plenty of others, open backed headphones just sound better. They often sound more natural. For 300 dollars I think you'd like the Fidelio X2 or the HD600; the latter of the two definitely needs an amp

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 34
In my opinion, and plenty of others, open backed headphones just sound better. They often sound more natural. For 300 dollars I think you'd like the Fidelio X2 or the HD600; the latter of the two definitely needs an amp

It's not just about sonic considerations though - you have to think where you're going to be using a headphone and whether open-back is appropriate for that situation. IMO they're definitely not appropriate for workplace usage.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #14 of 34
It's not just about sonic considerations though - you have to think where you're going to be using a headphone and whether open-back is appropriate for that situation. IMO they're definitely not appropriate for workplace usage.
Agreed, but he did ask about open back options. They will sound better for the most part but for an office; not the best

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #15 of 34

With a budget of $350, I think you should not try to fit in an additional DAC/amp, unless you find one for not more than say $75. And without a separate amp, the most important thing you have to consider IMHO is the sensitivity of the headphone. I use the Oppo PM-3, which can be used without amp (although I use an amp, which I would definitely recommend with a headphone of this price/quality). The sensitivity of the PM-3 is 102 dB in 1 mW. So I would suggest to take a headphone with a sensitivity of around 100 dB or more.

Obviously, the sensitivity is no measure of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back