Outstanding dynamics from the HD650 -- possible?
Jul 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jsplice

500+ Head-Fier
I attended Capital Audio Fest this past July 13 in Rockville, Maryland (D.C. area) and had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with Jack from Woo Audio.  While in the Woo Audio room, I listened to all of their systems, including the top-of-the-line WES amplifier powering the STAX SR-009 headphones.  I'll just say "my God" and leave it at that.  That experience has left me wanting more out of my system, but alas, I don't quite have $10k to spend.

The one thing that has stuck with me about that setup is the sheer dynamic ability of that combo.  The dynamics rivaled those of real speaker systems.

I'd like to try and squeeze more dynamic punch and contrast out of my HD650s, and my PS Audio GCHA doesn't seem to be cutting it for me in that area.  The amp is extremely transparent with excellent timbre and texture , and is an all around great performer; however, with these headphones, it seems to be lacking slightly with transient attack and overall dynamic range.  I have seriously been considering trying the Schiit Lyr, but I was wondering what other amps people have used to really make the HD650s thump.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back