Output Impedance and IEM Impedance
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MattISO

New Head-Fier
I want to use the TinHiFi T2 IEM to listen to my guitar through the headphone output of my guitar amplifier.

The IEM has an Impedance of ~16 Ohms and the Headphone Output of the guitar amplifier has an output impedance of ~32 Ohms.

Based on these measurements of the IEM,

Impedance Curve

Frequency Response when Connected to Amplifier with Constant Output Impedance

Full Report

would the Sound Signature / Frequency Response of the IEM change significantly if it was used with the Headphone Output of the guitar amplifier?

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 4
In general, based on the rule of eights for audiophiles (https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/), divide the impedance of your IEM by 8, and that's the max value of the output impedance of the source that you should accept.

So if your IEM (the Tin T2) has 16 ohm impedance, the max source output impedance you should accept is 2 ohm. 32 ohms from your guitar amp in all likelihood will change the frequency response.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 4
In general, based on the rule of eights for audiophiles (https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/), divide the impedance of your IEM by 8, and that's the max value of the output impedance of the source that you should accept.

So if your IEM (the Tin T2) has 16 ohm impedance, the max source output impedance you should accept is 2 ohm. 32 ohms from your guitar amp in all likelihood will change the frequency response.
Ok Thank You very much.

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 4
I want to use the TinHiFi T2 IEM to listen to my guitar through the headphone output of my guitar amplifier.

The IEM has an Impedance of ~16 Ohms and the Headphone Output of the guitar amplifier has an output impedance of ~32 Ohms.

Based on these measurements of the IEM,

Impedance Curve

Frequency Response when Connected to Amplifier with Constant Output Impedance

Full Report

would the Sound Signature / Frequency Response of the IEM change significantly if it was used with the Headphone Output of the guitar amplifier?
Because the impedance of the IEM remains stable at all audible frequencies, you will not get big FR changes from a higher impedance output. At least not because of the usually main cause of deviation(a non flat but low in some places impedance).
You could however get something from your amp that was most certainly not designed for a 16ohm load, but it’s hard to guess what exactly would happen. If the amp’s output has a fairly stable impedance over frequency(something we almost never measure for some reason), then the last possible FR change would be in the bass(can massively depend on amp design).

Given that you’re using an IEM instead of speakers, it’s fair to assume that it doesn’t sound neutral to your ears anyway, so IDK if there’s a need to specifically worry about FR. Or maybe you worry even more now that I’ve said this? :sweat_smile:
If you don’t notice obvious distortions of backround hiss and you’re happy with this setup, it’s almost certainly fine to continue using it. Now on the more audiophile side of things, it’s not great and you should try to always have a load(IEM) at least 8 times the impedance of the amplifier. It’s what most designers expect and as such it increases the odds of everything working nominally.

If you’re curious about what I described as main cause of FR change, you can go waste some time here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feedback-about-gears-stop-doing-it-wrong-impedance.866714/
I’ve edited it recently to make it more cable section friendly...
Your case is with a flat impedance IEM and should most likely behave like the IEM in the last 2 graphs, and not changing much in FR. It’s also what your links suggest, although when we see only one line, it can be confusing, is it only one measurement or are they all the same? :smile_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back