Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Dec 24, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #331 of 1,284
Haven't read the whole thread but I get no sound out of my Mac.  Using Amarra with iTunes in my Mac.  Using Bifrost Uber as Dac. Even with Amarra turned off I get no sound.  Is there something else that needs to be done with Macs/iTunes?

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #332 of 1,284
Apologize if I am repeating somebody's question, but I am interested in getting the program for my new MAC MINI. If I get a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker package, can I use the same package to listen in stereo mode? Or do i need get an additional 2.0 speaker package. Thanks for your help.

Not sure what you are trying here, but this software is specifically designed for headphones, and won't give the same result on speakers.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #333 of 1,284

The 5.1, 7.1 presets work with multichannel 5.1, 7.1 audio for movies--and--2.0 L/R stereo for music. Channels 1 and 2 are mapped to standard Left and Right channels, the remaining channels for surround sound just don't get used when playing stereo music. Get the speaker package you like and it will work seamlessly for music and movies. It will know to decode a multichannel mix and also to send a standard stereo signal to left and right channels. 

As PrimareKnob mentioned, this is all assuming use on headphones. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #337 of 1,284
  Tried the demo version, but seems unreal to me, a bit disappointed.

(Disclaimer: I am an OOYH apologist. I have no formal tie to Fong Audio.)

For OOYH to be effective, it may be helpful to keep some things in mind:

1) Your system constrains SQ. Good news: OOYH will scale with you as you upgrade your hardware/ Bad news: OOYH will not magically turn an entry level system into a $50,000 Magico spkr. + amp system. 

2) System synergy is key (and by system I mean all your hardware including the shape of your head and ears). The sampled room/speakers/head and your system/HRTF all have to come together to successfully create the OOYH effect. This is why so many presets are available to audition. Some presets sound--totally--"unreal to me" too in my system. Other presets, are so convincing, so (and I hate myself for using this word) "delectable" I would have to actually spend $50,000 to get this level of sound.

3) Psychoacoustics (AIYH): It's "All In Your Head." You've got to give yourself the time and openness of mind to reorient yourself to a radically different sonic presentation. Remember when you got that great new set of phones and it sounded all wrong,  (e.g.,) thin with recessed mids. Then you "got it." These phones have a bigger soundstage, and it then sounded so right. The mental jump is bigger than that. Conceptually, you are going from headphones to floor standing speakers.

Just wanted to share, because in this never-ending upgrade path we're all on, I finally reached a destination point and OOYH is a big part of that for me. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #339 of 1,284
what do u recommend for speaker selection? for realistic movie watching

I think it really does depend on your system. Personally, for movies, I started out with "Home Theater" and "Egyptian Theater" because they were captured for movie playback. The thing is they don't sound great in my system. I understand what 55238 is saying, they sound artificial. I could get away with it for watching movies, but I would never use it for listening to music or for a sense of realism. So, I tried using the presets that work for 2.0 music also for 5.1 movies. (Most of them are already configured as full 7.1 multichannel systems.) Voila! Natural, effortless, accurate, gorgeous surround emulation. 

So, honestly, Darin would know better, but my strategy has been to get the 2.0 stereo right and then the 5.1 just works. For my hardware (HD800, Hugo, etc.) and wetware (i.e., head and ear morphology) the "PBN Sammy" has to die for sensuous, vivid articulation. If I'm going to watch an intimate "talker" movie that fits. For grand, sweeping cinema, the "Cello Spkr" preset has epic scale and thunderous bottom end (again, on my system). 

But, here's the genius of OOYH. I don't have to choose which real-world system to purchase and install, which room to acoustically treat, which lung to sell.... A new virtual screening room is a few clicks away. I know it's not quite the same, and I really don't mean to preach, but it is pretty awesome.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #340 of 1,284
Thanks for the inputs, so far i am playing with it and like the Acoustic Zen and the AIX studio for movies.  However I dont know if I am doing something wrong I set up the midi output like the pamphlet saids but when I play the file I see only the left and right channels moving.  So not sure if I am doing something wrong. I rented the movie via Itunes HD so think it supposed to be DD multi channel. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #342 of 1,284
i believe the multi channel conversion occurs at the ooyh- a milti channel dac is not a requirment- nowhere in the documentation mentions anything about multi channel dac. if thats the case it needs to be clear in the instructions.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #345 of 1,284
Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been away from Head-Fi for a while during the holidays.

Quote:
  Thanks for the inputs, so far i am playing with it and like the Acoustic Zen and the AIX studio for movies.  However I dont know if I am doing something wrong I set up the midi output like the pamphlet saids but when I play the file I see only the left and right channels moving.  So not sure if I am doing something wrong. I rented the movie via Itunes HD so think it supposed to be DD multi channel. 

AFAIK, iTunes does not decode Dolby Digital source files to 5.1 channel audio from downloaded iTunes content. I have been able to play 5.1 files ripped from DVD's and played in iTunes. If you try to play any HD trailers in iTunes, they will all play back with only 2 channel audio. I may be wrong because I don't use iTunes. So please correct me if I am wrong.

The main problem is that even if iTunes can play back and decode 5.1 audio, it does not have any audio sync adjustments so your audio will always be out of sync for videos. We recommend using any other app that has audio sync adjustments.

i believe the multi channel conversion occurs at the ooyh- a milti channel dac is not a requirment- nowhere in the documentation mentions anything about multi channel dac. if thats the case it needs to be clear in the instructions.

Out Of Your Head takes multi channel audio and "converts" it to binaural like audio which is two channels. The sound you hear is as if you are in a room listening to 2, 5.1, or 7.1 speakers, but the actual sound output from Out Of Your Head is always two channel.

You do not need a multi-channel DAC or an outboard decoder, etc. All you need is any headphones and any DAC (even the built-in DAC on your computer).

Out Of Your Head always outputs two channels of audio intended for your left ear and right ear. But the sound you "hear" is the sound of either 2, 6, or 8 speakers.

I hope that clarifies things for everyone.

Thanks,
-Darin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back