Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Nov 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #301 of 1,284

So I was able to launch Netflix thru JRiver on the Windows 8.1 desktop and I changed from Power Saving to performance mode on the laptop.  Takes about 10 seconds and the video switches to HD.  Its still choppy.  I decided to run Netflix simultaneously thru IE and thru JRiver...  Processor never got above 20%.  Video was sometimes choppy but not horrible.

The only remaining problem I have is Netlix wont give me the option to change from Stereo to 5.1 plus thru JRiver.  Its simply not listed there.
The same laptop going into Metro mode on 8.1 does offer 5.1 plus..  Any idea what's happening here?

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #302 of 1,284

So I was able to launch Netflix thru JRiver on the Windows 8.1 desktop and I changed from Power Saving to performance mode on the laptop.  Takes about 10 seconds and the video switches to HD.  Its still choppy.  I decided to run Netflix simultaneously thru IE and thru JRiver...  Processor never got above 20%.  Video was sometimes choppy but not horrible.

The only remaining problem I have is Netlix wont give me the option to change from Stereo to 5.1 plus thru JRiver.  Its simply not listed there.
The same laptop going into Metro mode on 8.1 does offer 5.1 plus..  Any idea what's happening here?

The Netflix player in a browser does not support 5.1 audio. You can only get two channel audio. It's frustrating that they do offer 5.1 using the Metro app but not in a browser. I am not sure why they won't do it. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #303 of 1,284
Darin,  a small question:  do you have any additional info on the Ribbon speakers preset?  The explanation mentions that it's a full-range design that's still under development but i'm intrigued:  to my ears they have the hands down most detailed and refined midrange and treble of all the presets.  Bass takes the backseat (to my ears) and is probably underpowered but I don't mind -classical instrumental music mainly- as the level of detail and clarity the preset offers when paired with my HD-800 and quality source material is simply unbelievable.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #304 of 1,284
  Darin,  a small question:  do you have any additional info on the Ribbon speakers preset?  The explanation mentions that it's a full-range design that's still under development but i'm intrigued:  to my ears they have the hands down most detailed and refined midrange and treble of all the presets.  Bass takes the backseat (to my ears) and is probably underpowered but I don't mind -classical instrumental music mainly- as the level of detail and clarity the preset offers when paired with my HD-800 and quality source material is simply unbelievable.

Hi @Xenophon

The ribbon speaker preset in Out Of Your Head is not a commercially available product. A friend of mine who designs speakers (and headphone mods now), built those ribbon speakers as an experiment. He used relatively cheap full range ribbon drovers and mounted them to a board. Then using proprietary room measurement techniques and a custom DSP processor, he applied DSP correction to the audio sent to the speakers. This transformed the speakers from mediocre to incredible. He also played with adding a subwoofer and I believe the measurement I made also had the subwoofer running. He basically wanted to see how far DSP could be used to improve the sound of speakers.

Unfortunately, the speakers were never meant to be a commercial product and they would also require the DSP processor to make them sound really good. 

He no longer has the speakers setup and he may have recycled the parts for other speaker experiments. 

But at least I captured their sound for anyone to enjoy virtually. 
biggrin.gif

-Darin

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #305 of 1,284
So I'm using version 1.1j since Friday, wish I would know about it availability much earlier, and it sounds way way better than any previous version . I never heard HD800 having so deep punchy bass with so much body and I mean quality not just quantity. But sometimes when you start the first playback after you have your gear on, I'm turning my HA-1 off over night since stays hot all the time since it has Class A amp, so I have to switch between profiles a few times to make sure it sounds best. Also I think profile volume level is higher now compared to previous version

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #306 of 1,284
  Hi @Xenophon

The ribbon speaker preset in Out Of Your Head is not a commercially available product. A friend of mine who designs speakers (and headphone mods now), built those ribbon speakers as an experiment. He used relatively cheap full range ribbon drovers and mounted them to a board. Then using proprietary room measurement techniques and a custom DSP processor, he applied DSP correction to the audio sent to the speakers. This transformed the speakers from mediocre to incredible. He also played with adding a subwoofer and I believe the measurement I made also had the subwoofer running. He basically wanted to see how far DSP could be used to improve the sound of speakers.

Unfortunately, the speakers were never meant to be a commercial product and they would also require the DSP processor to make them sound really good. 

He no longer has the speakers setup and he may have recycled the parts for other speaker experiments. 

But at least I captured their sound for anyone to enjoy virtually. 
biggrin.gif

-Darin

Well, the designer was definitely on to something here :) and thanks for including the recording.  I never really looked into speakers and know next to nothing about them. There's no point for me as no dedicated listening room, a wife who doesn't like classical, the volumes needed to properly enjoy the full dynamic range of classical music and an urban setting -house in the city center- with neighbours who presumably value peace and quiet make for an impossible combo.  

Anyone into instrumental classical who likes a highly detailed sound and has good cans:  give this preset certainly a try if you have good recordings (poor material + neutral amp+ HD-800 + this setting= torture).

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #307 of 1,284
Hi,

You could have best results if you do an ASIO Output to be used in foobar2000/JRiver?

Is there also a way to use OOYH with foobar2000/JRiver and JPlay, at the same time?

OOYH works on Windows Server 2012 R2?

Thanks

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #308 of 1,284
Hi,

You could have best results if you do an ASIO Output to be used in foobar2000/JRiver?

Is there also a way to use OOYH with foobar2000/JRiver and JPlay, at the same time?

Thanks

Yes, we are considering doing an ASIO driver, but do not have anything currently.

In theory Out Of Your Head will work with jPlay, but I have not tried it. You can set JPlay to output to the Out Of Your Head Virtual Audio device. If it has problems, make sure you are sending 48kHz/24bit or 32bit audio to Out Of Your Head.

I also have not tried Out Of Your Head on Windows Server. I don't see why it would not work.

Sorry about not really having any answers for you, but please let us know if you get it to work or have any problems.

-Darin

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #309 of 1,284
Hi,

Thanks

I just tried to use the trial version of JPlay with Out Of Your Head. The problem is that in the JPlay settings, it only seems to allow Kernel Streaming output to Out Of Your Head. But Out Of Your Head will not work in Kernel Streaming mode. JPlay does show some devices available in WASAPI mode, but not Out Of Your Head for some reason.

So unfortunately, it looks like JPlay is not compatible with Out Of Your Head. 

(BTW, that's a pretty crazy warning message that pops up in JRiver when you try to output to the JPlay ASIO driver. But I guess I shouldn't open up that can of worms.)

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #311 of 1,284
I just tried some of the online demos on my iPhone 6 + and am really impressed!
smily_headphones1.gif

Can I get the full version on iPhone App Store?

Thanks for listening to the online demos.

Although we plan on releasing Out Of Your Head on iOS and Android someday, we currently don't have anything available for those platforms.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #312 of 1,284
Thanks for listening to the online demos.

Although we plan on releasing Out Of Your Head on iOS and Android someday, we currently don't have anything available for those platforms.

Seriously, the demos are amazing, but that's a shame there's no iPhone app for it right now but great to hear you plan on releasing one someday, I just hope it's someday soon! :)

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #313 of 1,284
@darinf,

I use JRiver to manage my audio library, and then set JPlay ASIO Output on it.
This way I can't also use your OOYH, right? :frowning2:

OOYH only works with 48kHz/24bit or 32bit? Will this be improved in the future?

Thanks for your support!

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #314 of 1,284
I just tried to use the trial version of JPlay with Out Of Your Head. The problem is that in the JPlay settings, it only seems to allow Kernel Streaming output to Out Of Your Head. But Out Of Your Head will not work in Kernel Streaming mode. JPlay does show some devices available in WASAPI mode, but not Out Of Your Head for some reason.

(BTW, that's a pretty crazy warning message that pops up in JRiver when you try to output to the JPlay ASIO driver. But I guess I shouldn't open up that can of worms.)

I will see that issue with JPlay support!

About the JRiver warning, that is pure nonsense from JRiver, and from v20.0.44 they removed JPlay ASIO Output completely... :frowning2:
Hope they won't do the same with your program in the future...

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #315 of 1,284
@darinf,

I use JRiver to manage my audio library, and then set JPlay ASIO Output on it.
This way I can't also use your OOYH, right?
frown.gif

OOYH only works with 48kHz/24bit or 32bit? Will this be improved in the future?

Thanks for your support!

It appears so that you cannot use JPlay and Out Of Your Head at the same time. However you can switch back and forth in the JRiver Audio settings when you are using Out Of Your Head.

We are testing higher bit rate processing up to 192kHz sampling rate, but that takes a lot of CPU power to do 8 channels of 192kHz audio. I think maybe it would make more sense to only support 2 channel audio at 192kHz.

I will see that issue with JPlay support!

About the JRiver warning, that is pure nonsense from JRiver, and from v20.0.44 they removed JPlay ASIO Output completely...
frown.gif

Hope they won't do the same with your program in the future...

I didn't know about removing JPlay in the later versions.

They couldn't remove Out Of Your Head support completely since Out Of Your Head will work with Direct Sound if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back