Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Nov 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #271 of 1,284
Speakers are a magnificent evil:  nothing approaches a live concert like a speaker system if the stars are correctly aligned.  But otoh everything has to be just right (room conditioning, position, total audio chain) and stay just right (move a piece of furniture or throw down a new rug and you can easily upset a delicate balance).  Very easy to spend a crapaton of money and not end up with a good result.  I'm not even going into spouses and neighbours who are not into one's kind of music and simply don't understand that huge dynamic range classical recordings can mean changes from very quiet to very loud in minimum time.  And the fact that I'm an insomniac and like listening to a concert at 3 am.  

Love this software on my mac and listening to my HE-6, also works very well with my HD-800 but I feel the HE-6 benefit most.  The presets that were mentioned might be handy though.  And is it just me or does the application use a lot of CPU cycles while running?  At least that's what my console tells me.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #272 of 1,284
There was one preset that I didn't care for in general, yet this particular bass heavy track i played on it absolutely blew me away by how the preset dealt with the low frequency. The bass was tight, articulate, punchy with excellent bass definition and low end extension. It's mid to highs left much to be desired. But to listen to bass reproduced on my headsets that even outclassed the standard untouched bitmtached recording without any DSP was an absolute delight. If allowed I would love to upload an audacity processed 20 sec clip of the untouched track vs the one with the DSP so people here could see the difference.

Sorry about not responding sooner.

You certainly can post whatever you want. Thanks for asking. I do recommend you stress to people that the processed output from Out Of Your Head must be used with headphones. Otherwise, people may listen to it with speakers and think it sounds weird. (People may still think it sounds weird, but at least they will be using headphones.
biggrin.gif
)

Love this software on my mac and listening to my HE-6, also works very well with my HD-800 but I feel the HE-6 benefit most.  The presets that were mentioned might be handy though.  And is it just me or does the application use a lot of CPU cycles while running?  At least that's what my console tells me.

Yes, there is a significant amount of DSP going on here. Plus 8 channels takes 8 times as much processing power as one channel. For most modern computers, it's not a problem, but if you have your CPU dialed down to save battery or you have a CPU older than say a Core 2 Duo, then you might not have enough power to process 8 channels of audio and decode a 1080p H.264 video at the same time.

For the first version of Out Of Your Head, we just wanted to get it to work. Since we knew we would have a lot of processing power in the average computer, we were not too worried about the availability of CPU power. Moving forward, we are working on optimizing the algorithm and the processing engine to lower the CPU requirements and lower the latency. Also, with iOS or Android, CPU power is significantly less, so Out Of Your Head is going to have to be much more efficient to even work on low power mobile processors. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #273 of 1,284
I just installed the trial selected a preset and played back a bluray rip in vlc and it seems the audio is out of sync by a few milliseconds, enough to be annoying. Whats going wrong?

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #274 of 1,284
Quote:
  I just installed the trial selected a preset and played back a bluray rip in vlc and it seems the audio is out of sync by a few milliseconds, enough to be annoying. Whats going wrong?

Check the quote below from post #218:

The current version of Out Of Your Head for Mac or Windows  does have a delay when processing audio. The delay does vary a little depending on the speed of the computer, but on Windows, the delay is around 450ms and on OS X it is around 250ms.

For listening to music, it's a non-issue, obviously. For watching videos/movies, most media player apps have adjustments that can compensate for the audio delay in Out Of Your Head. However, there are some apps like iTunes and streaming video clients which do not have audio sync adjustments for video. That is why for watching videos, we recommend apps that do have audio sync adjustments.

Here's a list of some of the apps that have audio sync adjustments:

Windows:
  1. JRiver Media Center
  2. VideoLan VLC
  3. Netflix

Mac:
  1. XBMC (soon to be called Kodi)

(There are other apps out there that do have audio sync adjustments. PLease check the documentation of your preferred video playback app.)

We are working on a Windows version that has much lower latency that will be suitable for gaming too, but that is still in it's early stages of development so I have no ETA on that version. It is a very difficult problem to solve. Then after that, we will attempt to do the same on OS X.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #276 of 1,284
Question.....  so the laptop has the OOYH software installed..   so if I have everything running thru my preamp/processor that has a digital output (like my PS3, Netflix from the TV back to preamp)... how do you run the audio thru the laptop?  I have USB ports?  or can you guys suggest some ways to configure all the hardware?

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #278 of 1,284
  Question.....  so the laptop has the OOYH software installed..   so if I have everything running thru my preamp/processor that has a digital output (like my PS3, Netflix from the TV back to preamp)... how do you run the audio thru the laptop?  I have USB ports?  or can you guys suggest some ways to configure all the hardware?

I am not 100% sure I understand your question, but I will take a shot and guess at what you're asking...

I think you're asking how can you get the audio from your preamp/processor to be processed by Out Of Your Head and then to your headphones like this:

(PS3, TV audio, etc) --> A/V preamp/processor --> laptop --> Out Of Your Head --> headphones

The short answer is you can't exactly, unfortunately.

Basically since most laptops or computers don't have inputs for multi-channel audio, Out Of Your Head requires that your media sources originate on the laptop, not from outside the laptop. That is why you have to use JRiver, VLC, etc. playback software on your computer in order to process the audio through Out Of Your Head.

In theory, you could use an input A to D converter to get sound into your computer and then send that audio through Out Of Your Head. Or if your hook up a digital input device to your computer via USB, then you could take the digital output of your AV preamp/processor and send that into your computer and then through Out Of Your Head to your headphones. However, I am pretty sure you can only get two channel audio this way even using a digital input. You would also have to run some audio software like Audacity to take the audio input and send it in real-time to the audio output (Out Of Your Head ).

So IF you have an audio input on your computer and you only needed two channel audio you could do this:

(PS3, TV audio, etc) --> A/V preamp/processor --> either digital or analog audio INPUT to your computer--> Audacity (Or some other audio software) --> Out Of Your Head --> headphones

The main problem with this approach is that there would be significant audio delay and if you are watching video, the audio would be extremely out of sync with the picture. You would have to adjust the audio sync on your PS3 or the Netflix on the TV, if that's even possible.

For Netflix, you are much better off playing back Netflix on you computer and sending the audio through Out Of Your Head and the video out via HDMI to your TV from your computer. The Netflix player on Windows or Mac does have audio sync adjustments.

Anyway, forgive me if I misunderstood your question. Please clarify if you need more explanation.

-Darin

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #279 of 1,284
I bought this from the unnamed website venture that happened to discount it. I am very eager to implement this once my main laptop rig gets back from the shop to be fixed.

Has this been updated for Mavericks implementation yet or is it still waiting for program approval?

Also, after some research it seems that the only program which actually decodes (key word, not bitstreams) DSTHD and DTS MA happens to be a wonderful piece of software which has now been sadly discontinued shortly after finding out about its existence, Arcsoft medica

My dream of using this with lossless multi-channel audio setup for blurays with the headphone of my choice seems to be slipping.

I have to see if I can trick my new Sony MDR HW700DS to output a virtualized mixdown of decoded bitstream DTS HD and output that virtualized mixdown via the optical out.

My real problem with dolby headphone is that it only takes the dts or ac3 core and nothing more.

Anyways, it's a real shame there aren't any real software support for lossless multichannel DECODING anymore for computer playback of bluray.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #280 of 1,284
  I bought this from the unnamed website venture that happened to discount it. I am very eager to implement this once my main laptop rig gets back from the shop to be fixed.

Has this been updated for Mavericks implementation yet or is it still waiting for program approval?

Also, after some research it seems that the only program which actually decodes (key word, not bitstreams) DSTHD and DTS MA happens to be a wonderful piece of software which has now been sadly discontinued shortly after finding out about its existence, Arcsoft medica

My dream of using this with lossless multi-channel audio setup for blurays with the headphone of my choice seems to be slipping.

I have to see if I can trick my new Sony MDR HW700DS to output a virtualized mixdown of decoded bitstream DTS HD and output that virtualized mixdown via the optical out.

My real problem with dolby headphone is that it only takes the dts or ac3 core and nothing more.

Anyways, it's a real shame there aren't any real software support for lossless multichannel DECODING anymore for computer playback of bluray.

Just a heads up.. That "unnamed website venture" that you are referring to is Massdrop, right? They recently have been recognized as a headphone reseller on this site as of a few days or so ago and it seems the ban no longer applies to them. 

On another note, I've been using OOYH for about a month now and I'm having trouble using my Mac without it. The software works great!

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #281 of 1,284
Ok well now that the ban is lifted, yes it was Massdrop...

I tried a few weeks ago to get this up and going on Yosemite. I upgraded to Yosemite before purchasing this product and found issues with my trial software getting permission to overtake the audio driver. I cannot undo the Yosemite upgrade.
I was directed to a series of Terminal foo I had to do, which I'm no terminal wiz. I'm very eager to get this running on mac once Apples gives this software their rubber stamp. Right now I have it removed mostly from applications as I could not get it to go on my Yosemite upgrades (again upgrade before I owned this product).

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #282 of 1,284

I guess Apple is partly to blame with their ridiculous and controlling permissions structure for software manufacturers.

I'd be interested in a Linux build if the software selection and adoption for media consumption weren't so piss poor.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #284 of 1,284

I tried a few weeks ago to get this up and going on Yosemite. I upgraded to Yosemite before purchasing this product and found issues with my trial software getting permission to overtake the audio driver. I cannot undo the Yosemite upgrade.
I was directed to a series of Terminal foo I had to do, which I'm no terminal wiz. I'm very eager to get this running on mac once Apples gives this software their rubber stamp. Right now I have it removed mostly from applications as I could not get it to go on my Yosemite upgrades (again upgrade before I owned this product).

I had problems getting it going on Yosemite as well. Darin gave me these instructions and they worked perfectly. Took all of 2 minutes before I got it up and running using Yosemite.

I have briefly tested Yosemite beta, but have not tested the release version yet.

First, I think you are going to have to reinstall Out Of Your Head. Please download the latest trial version from my website:
https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-trial-download/

And reinstall Out Of Your Head.

You might get an error when trying to install the Out Of Your Head driver. I am working on fixing the issue, but for now, you may have to run the following commands:

To enable installing third party KEXTs, you just run this command in a Terminal window:
  • sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
  • Then reboot
  • After reboot OOYH.kext should load. (You should see the OOYH (16CH) audio device as an option in the Sound system preferences.
  • If not, reinstall Out Of Your Head and it should complete without the error.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #285 of 1,284

I've been running running OOYH on Yosemite 10.10.1 for several weeks, no issues at all.  You just have to authorise the unsigned software during installation.  I've been running Linux/Unix for years while I was in college and after.  Came to the conclusion that it's great provided you fall into either of 2 categories:  a) a nerd -which I was- that's able to invest an inordinate amount of time in compiling, maintaining and running a system + getting third party stuff to run or b) someone like my mother who just surfs the net, types a mail and never ever installs anything.  At the time my favorite distro was Gentoo Linux, custom compiled.  booted like a racer on nitro but was the same pain in the b*tt to maintain.  My mother still runs Mandriva; I have remote admin access and update her system without her even knowing, she never had a virus nor intrusion in years.  

Apple is imo still the next best thing even though it has to be their way or the highway.  Tried Windows 8 for a while but ran away screaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back