Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Nov 4, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #241 of 1,284
  Hey Darin, 

Will we have to get new licenses for this new version? I personally haven't noticed this problem yet, but I'll keep this in mind if it does happen.

Thanks, 
--Jeff

Hi Jeff,

No new licenses needed. Just make sure to uninstall the old version before installing the new version.

Not everyone had this issue. It was mostly on Windows 8.1 systems and only once in a while. But I find that doing Head-Fi meets or trade shows are great for finding bugs. I guess running 7 computers with Out Of Your Head for 8 hours will find any bugs if there are any.

-Darin

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #242 of 1,284
  Hi Jeff,

No new licenses needed. Just make sure to uninstall the old version before installing the new version.

Not everyone had this issue. It was mostly on Windows 8.1 systems and only once in a while. But I find that doing Head-Fi meets or trade shows are great for finding bugs. I guess running 7 computers with Out Of Your Head for 8 hours will find any bugs if there are any.

-Darin

Thanks for the reply. 

If it helps, I haven't noticed the problem with my Windows 7 system. 

Meets do help serve as a QA of sorts. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #244 of 1,284
Gotta love m******p........ Happy new owner

That site is pretty great, but you might wanna edit it out of your post. Group buy sites being mentioned aren't allowed here on Head-fi. Wouldn't want this thread getting shut down or anything.

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #245 of 1,284
I ended up reading this thread after doing research on the virtualiser and deciding that it wasn't for me (price + extremely inconvenient connectivity + the difficulty associated with creating customised files).  Read this thread and frankly thought I'd be disappointed and that it would never produce good results with the type of music I listen to.

Have to say, I was totally amazed after giving it a try.  Listening with my Mac connected to an el cheapo dac and then via RCA to my vintage Pioneer receiver and my HE-6.  Works perfectly on Yosemite too.  Some of the speaker configurations were not for me but with a couple of configurations were a revelation, the 'outside your head' emulation is amazing; despite knowing the sound was coming from my cans I kept looking at a point in space ahead of me.  I'll purchase a license, now it's just a matter on deciding on the speaker config file.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #246 of 1,284
First of all I want to thank Darin for releasing latest version which fixed most of the issues I was experiencing except one so my question to those who have the latest version if you have any problems right clicking and scrolling down to reduce volume inside control panel. I have logitech g700 mouse and even unloading logitech software doesn't help. I would suggest to use Foobar2000 with SoX resampler for best results but if you want to use J River MC20 make sure you use Direct Sound instead of wasapi since converting 2 channels to 7.1

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #248 of 1,284
Quote: (Posted on the Schiit Ragnarok thread)

[a little off-topic]

Well whaddaya know...you're the developer of the Out Of Your Head software that I want to try out eventually.

How would you say it compares to the Smyth Realiser A8? Does using them in conjunction enhance the experience? (I noticed you own both.)

Hi @Music Alchemist
As a MOT here, I am not allowed to "review" my own product or comment on competing products. But maybe others who have heard both might be able to give you an idea.

But I can say that you cannot use both in conjunction. You would use one or the other, not both. Both Out Of Your Head and the Realiser A8 are similar functionality.

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #251 of 1,284
First of all I want to thank Darin for releasing latest version which fixed most of the issues I was experiencing except one so my question to those who have the latest version if you have any problems right clicking and scrolling down to reduce volume inside control panel. I have logitech g700 mouse and even unloading logitech software doesn't help. I would suggest to use Foobar2000 with SoX resampler for best results but if you want to use J River MC20 make sure you use Direct Sound instead of wasapi since converting 2 channels to 7.1

Hi Oleg,

I was able to find a Windows machine that has the problem with the master control volume down problem you reported. The levels can be moved down with the right mouse button, but the levels barely move down even if you move the mouse down fast. I am working on fixing that bug.

You can use WASAPI in JRiver, but you do have to have JRiver convert all the sampling rates to 24bit/48kHz in the DSP audio settings. You do not need to up convert from 2 channels to 7.1 in the traditional sense. With WASAPI, Out Of Your Head wants to see a 7.1 audio signal, but if you have a 2 channel source, audio is only sent on two channels. You can leave the Mixing setting set to "No upmixing or down mixing". Alternately  you can use the JRSS function in JRiver to have JRiver up mix a 2 channel or 5.1 channel source to 7.1 channels to give you pseudo surround.

Here's the settings I use for JRiver and WASAPI Out Of Your Head:

This is the "Device Settings" window after you select Out Of Your Head WASAPI:

This is the "Tools/Options/Audio/Settings/DSP & output format..." window:

-Darin

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #252 of 1,284
  If there was only a poll to see which speaker license people are purchasing...

I don't know how useful a poll would be since you are not only talking about people's preferences or tastes, but one preset might work great for one person and not work very well at all for someone else. The sound of each preset in Out Of Your Head is dependent on your personal HRTF (head related transfer function) meaning the shape of your ears will affect how well the preset works for you vs. another person.

The best way is to listen to all the presets and see which ones work best for your ears.

Generally most people can find presets that work well for them, just not necessarily the same presets that work for someone else.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #253 of 1,284

Hi Oleg,

I was able to find a Windows machine that has the problem with the master control volume down problem you reported. The levels can be moved down with the right mouse button, but the levels barely move down even if you move the mouse down fast. I am working on fixing that bug.

You can use WASAPI in JRiver, but you do have to have JRiver convert all the sampling rates to 24bit/48kHz in the DSP audio settings. You do not need to up convert from 2 channels to 7.1 in the traditional sense. With WASAPI, Out Of Your Head wants to see a 7.1 audio signal, but if you have a 2 channel source, audio is only sent on two channels. You can leave the Mixing setting set to "No upmixing or down mixing". Alternately  you can use the JRSS function in JRiver to have JRiver up mix a 2 channel or 5.1 channel source to 7.1 channels to give you pseudo surround.

Here's the settings I use for JRiver and WASAPI Out Of Your Head:

This is the "Device Settings" window after you select Out Of Your Head WASAPI:

This is the "Tools/Options/Audio/Settings/DSP & output format..." window:

-Darin

I'm using those settings, you emailed them to me but if you will point your mouse to the rightmost little icon in the upper right corner you can see small popup window which shows the status of what is happening while track is playing in a box between input signal and the output signal. If your output device is Direct Sound you will only see one line stating that resampling from 44.1k to 48k takes place as expected but if your output device is wasapi a second line will appear below stating 'Converting 2.0 to 7.1' and to me there is noticeable difference between output I hear.
Thanks for discovering that mouse volume adjustment is really an issue and trying to fix it

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #254 of 1,284
I'm using those settings, you emailed them to me but if you will point your mouse to the rightmost little icon in the upper right corner you can see small popup window which shows the status of what is happening while track is playing in a box between input signal and the output signal. If your output device is Direct Sound you will only see one line stating that resampling from 44.1k to 48k takes place as expected but if your output device is wasapi a second line will appear below stating 'Converting 2.0 to 7.1' and to me there is noticeable difference between output I hear.
Thanks for discovering that mouse volume adjustment is really an issue and trying to fix it

Hi Oleg,

The "Converting 2.0 to 7.1" just means JRiver is essentially putting the audio into a 7.1 format audio stream, but it's not "upmixing' the actual audio to create audio on channels that didn't have audio to begin with. JRiver is not altering or adding any audio. So for a 2.0 channel file, it will send audio on channels 1 and 2 and then send no audio on channels 3 to 8. It's still a 7.1 format audio stream with no audio on channels 3 to 8. 

WASAPI and Direct Sound will sound different since WASAPI is not going through the Windows mixer and Direct Sound is.

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #255 of 1,284

Hi Oleg,

The "Converting 2.0 to 7.1" just means JRiver is essentially putting the audio into a 7.1 format audio stream, but it's not "upmixing' the actual audio to create audio on channels that didn't have audio to begin with. JRiver is not altering or adding any audio. So for a 2.0 channel file, it will send audio on channels 1 and 2 and then send no audio on channels 3 to 8. It's still a 7.1 format audio stream with no audio on channels 3 to 8. 

WASAPI and Direct Sound will sound different since WASAPI is not going through the Windows mixer and Direct Sound is.

I'm well aware that they will sound differently but with previous version I preferred J River with Direct Sound as best for me but with the new version I prefer Foobar2000 with SoX resampler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back