Out of stock now - Altec Lansing IM716 $20 shipped from newegg
Mar 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #121 of 163
I own the 616s too, and now I am going to do a definitive A/B test of them with the 716s (never owned them at the same time). And I thought I was getting a deal for the 616s for $39.

I want to be convinced that the 716s are really superior to the 616s. Of course, the 716s do cozy up to an amp really well, and the 616s don't need one. That's a difference right there. But this time, I'll keep the 716s, and maybe sell the 616s for $15-$20 (since I have no lawn to mow).

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #122 of 163
I ordered a pair of these seeing as it was a great deal, I understand they are discontinued and I was wondering if the warranty is still intact? I read you contact altec lansing but what would they replace them with?

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #123 of 163
anyone have a pair of 716s they want to let go?

i'm using mdr-ex71's on my 5g ipod, so if this would be an improvement... im all for it.

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #124 of 163
These are really fantastic: thanks to the OP. They are much much better than my old ER6i. More detail, and more soundstage, which I didn't expect from an IEM. They are also quite a bit more comfortable, mainly I think because they are circular, not rectangular like the ER6i. Quite a deal for $20.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #125 of 163
Bought a pair for 50.00 and wasn't too impressed, almost sold them after driving them with a pocket amp, good detail but no bass or body. They had been sitting for 1 1/2 months. Just got an ibasso viper and thought What i'll try them with my new toy
eek.gif
My god, thumping bass (and I have atrios). These need as much amping as HD580's (slight exaggeration). These things rock! For $20 they are the deal of the century, but without an amp, average.

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #126 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
incredible.. so, amazon and other sites, including newegg usually, sell it for 300% profit. Ridiculous.. I'll wait till the 701 is selling for $50, then.

The original retail price of these things was $299 I believe. It was later dropped to $199. For most of their life they were selling for about $110.

But it is true that retailers like newegg don't make much profit on these things. Altec is the one that makes all the money (most likely it is ety, actually).

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #127 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstre24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a pair of these seeing as it was a great deal, I understand they are discontinued and I was wondering if the warranty is still intact? I read you contact altec lansing but what would they replace them with?

As another head-fi'er experienced, AL replaced them under warranty with the Snugfit UHP 336 - which are made by UE and are equivalent to the super fi 3's.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #129 of 163
Heh, I caved and bought some on eBay. Although I generally dislike it when people buy for cheap and then resell on eBay for profit, I'm still excited that I got these guys for only $45. Ah well, everybody's gotta' make a buck somehow, eh?

At any rate, I can't wait to see how they sound! If it turns out that I don't like them that much, I can certainly give the podectomy a try since I love tinkering with stuff.

I suppose it did some good, though. I figured I'd never use my V-moda Vibes again, so I sold them to a buddy pretty cheap and he loves 'em.

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #130 of 163
I've been listening to mine for a few hours now. These are a significant jump forward from my se110s in terms of general sound quality, upfrontness, and soundstage.

On my Shures, the Shins were unbearable to listen to. The entire experience was so muffled it ruined the music. With the im716, the blanket of sound-fog has cleared up significantly. The only problem I have is the pod.

But I plan on doing this podectomy this weekend.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/im7...ectomy-200246/

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #133 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yu2x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine. I like the HD mode better, am I nuts ?

Pretty much every review I've read said the HD mode was better sounding, so you're probably not nuts, but I'll let you know for sure in a few hours when mine arrive.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back