Ouch....
Oct 15, 2003 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
I managed to go through my entire adolescent life without breaking nary a bone in my body. When I think of some of the things that I did when I was younger that was truly an amazing accomplishment.

I am now 46 years young and just returned from spending 6 grueling hours in the emergency room at Kaiser Hospital because I broke my little toe. I wish I could say that I broke it while was playing some one on one with my 15 year old and going for the game winning layup.....

.....I wish I could say that.
rolleyes.gif

What I can say, in the interest of truth and honesty, I was rushing into the kitchen to see what my wife was making for dinner and I slammed my little toe into a file cabinet. I would post exactly what I said when I did that but I would be banned.

I am such an idiot.

Oct 15, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 41
damn... that sucks.

at least you made it there before i got to my third year of med school and out into the hospitals right?
tongue.gif

(no, i'm gonna be a good doc, i swear. i'm studying up on my biochem right now.)

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #4 of 41
Sorry to hear about the toe and the 6 hours. at least now you know what a broken bone feels like. well, i've never had a proper one myself, so i shouldn't really be talking. i've had a hairline fracture in my pinky from playing backyard football, which resulted in my pinky being un-bendy for a good 2.5 years. but now it's nice and bendy again.

Stubbing toes and feet is one of THE worst things that can happen, in my opinion. I hate it when it's dark and I'm too lazy or sleepy to turn on the light, and then stub my toe or smack my shin into something very hard. it happens in the movie "lost in translation", and scarlet johansson gets a black toe.

You should probably stick to the basketball story, as opposed to the cussword-ridden interested-in-dinner story. although the interested-in-dinner story makes for a pretty interesting story in itself, despite being slightly less "manly" than the basketball one.

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 41
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
....I am now 46 years young and just returned from spending 6 grueling hours in the emergency room at Kaiser Hospital because I broke my little toe. I wish I could say that I broke it while was playing some one on one with my 15 year old and going for the game winning layup.....

.....I wish I could say that.
rolleyes.gif

What I can say, in the interest of truth and honesty, I was rushing into the kitchen to see what my wife was making for dinner and I slammed my little toe into a file cabinet. I would post exactly what I said when I did that but I would be banned.

I am such an idiot.

[/size]Dude, you're 46?!
wink.gif
Well, then, the winning layup story wouldn't have worked anyway.
tongue.gif

Seriously, though, JMT, I hope your toe heals up asap. Just out of curiosity, what do they put your foot in (and for how long) for a broken little toe?

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 41
They "buddy tape" it to the toe next and gave me the newest fashion statement in clodhopper boots. They wanted me to hang around and consult with an Orthopedic surgeon to see if I needed surgery and a pin put in. I declined.

After all...it's just the little toe.

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 41
I am no stranger to stubbing my toes in things but...ouch. I've only broke one thing in my life as well which was my pinky, although not in any feat of glory as I might have wished either, rather from punching a wall
redface.gif
Bad move.

Of course your mistake was more accidental than mine so mine arguably more stupid so maybe that'll make ya feel better...
wink.gif

Anyway, bad luck man! My Dad broke his toe in a similar manner. He was trying to kick a balloon with all his force but missed and instead kicked a table
blink.gif
Wasn't pretty.

Hope everything heals okay.

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 41
She must be a really good cook.

Hope you heal up right quick.

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 41
i broke my big toe like 10 years ago playing soccer. that was a bummer. i've also broken a leg, cracked some ribs, dislocated my shoulder and dislocated my knee at one time or another throughout my life. i thought i might have dislocated my jaw yesterday playing soccer but i didn't really notice it popping back. probably just a sprain. (i play goalie btw, made a diving save where i landed sideways and my jaw caught the ball while my head hit grass)

still feels weird today though. i really need to be an orthopaedist when i grow up. cause this body has taken a lot of damage.

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
She must be a really good cook.

LOL!
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 41
Hey Jon, I hope you feel better soon. I know how you feel, since I had a couple of accidents myself, and a couple broken bones also. The last one hapenned last week, when I was showing my nephews how to break tiles with my bare fists (well, not so bare, I use a bandage like a boxer). I went to seven and then we found out we only had five, so I figured out it would be no problem. But when I made contact with the tile my hand moved a litle, perhaps because of the sweat, and the tile didn't break properly, and a piece of the surface cut part of my anular rigth finger. So, I had blood popping from my finger (I severed an artery) and all the kids were freaked out, not to mention my wife, who scolded me in front of the children. Basically, I just cleaned the wound and went looking for the missing part (a one centimeter piece of skin and flesh from where the second phalanx ends), but could not find it. I went looking for the doctor but he wasnt there, so I decided to take care of the wound myself. Some sulphur and a a tigth bandage, and a week later I still have a hole in my finger and problems closing my hand (perhaps a hairline fracture, but I doesn't affect functionality that much), but I am healing well so far.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be doing feats of strength anymore, specially since I don't want to loose a finger.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 41
Man, I winced in pain when I read your story.
You have any idea how many times I've done something similar?
(nothing broken yet.)

I've stepped on a drywall screw once with my bare feet.
Jammed that sucker about 3/4" in.
Limped into the ER with it still sticking out.

That was a fun night.
frown.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:45 AM Post #13 of 41
Jon
I hope your battle wound heals quickly, and causes as little discomfort and inconvenience as possible. At least look at it this way: it could have been worse, you could have damaged one of those hands of yours!!

Geez, I mean, with no amp building to do, whatever would you do with your free time!?!
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
Basically, I just cleaned the wound and went looking for the missing part (a one centimeter piece of skin and flesh from where the second phalanx ends), but could not find it.

Dont you hate it when that happens? I've had similar injuries on two or three occasions and it seems big chunks of flesh just love to disintegrate before I can find them...
frown.gif
I mean, where the hell did it go?!

Oct 15, 2003 at 8:14 AM Post #15 of 41
Hope you foot feels better soon.

Stories of broken bones make me cringe!
In '94 I dislocated and broke my shoulder snowboarding. While recovering I was watching speedskating in the Olympics and a guy fell and dislocated his shoulder. The announcers were speculating about the injury but I KNEW what was wrong. Watching it was almost as bad doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back