OS X users: which text editor do you use?
Sep 6, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vim is my overall favorite on any platform. The fact that it is available on nearly any platform is a big reason for that, as well as its fast and efficient design. <Esc>:wq<Enter>
biggrin.gif

For word processing, OpenOffice.org is my favorite although the OS X version is pretty awful, so I use NeoOffice instead.

I cannot use anything else but vim. I own at least one TextMate license, and I use it once in awhile but find it frustrating because I type things like <esc> M jj www xx while I'm editing and it just mucks everything up.

Just a friendly vim tip -- :x == :wq (!)

I learn new commands practically weekly. Makes my work faster and faster!

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #18 of 30
I use TextWrangler since I have to deal with rather very large log and data set files.

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #19 of 30
notepad.exe
eggosmile.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
notepad.exe
eggosmile.gif

Hell, you should at least be using Notepad2 or Notepad++.
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #21 of 30
hahaha...I guess you are using that in Parallel (virtual PC)
wink.gif

Quote:

notepad.exe
eggosmile.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

notepad.exe
eggosmile.gif

Through Darwine I presume... Weird!

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone use emacs, by the way?

I used to use emacs, and I still use some of the key combos occasionally in OS X apps. emacs isn't bad, but it's hard to get fully integrated with modern development environments, and for text/research, Scrivener or OmniOutliner are better.

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #25 of 30
Word or TextEdit because Word takes forever to boot. Can't wait for Office 2008 for Mac!

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #26 of 30
I use vim and TextWrangler mostly and occasionally the Xcode IDE.

I used to use BBEdit back in the day but I don't like the OSX version. I've tried SubEthaEdit and TextMate didn't especially like either and they don't handle large files very well. Also all of those are commercial and I'm not going to pay for a text editor unless it reaches extreme levels of perfection.

I think I should check out Smultron though, I hadn't heard of it until now.

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #27 of 30
Gosh, talk about being out of touch. I voted MS Word since that's what I've always used and didn't even know that most of the other choices existed.

At the moment, however, I'm not using anything. My truck got broken into in South Florida (lots of scum bags down here) and among other things, they got my Macbook Pro. I've since replaced it with a new one but haven't bought any software of any kind yet.

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait for Office 2008 for Mac!

yikes!
eek.gif

smultron user here...handles all the xml/html/php that i need for the moment...but it doesn't do validation so i'm actually looking for something on the mac platform that does validation as well...

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the moment, however, I'm not using anything. My truck got broken into in South Florida (lots of scum bags down here) and among other things, they got my Macbook Pro. I've since replaced it with a new one but haven't bought any software of any kind yet.

Sorry to hear Wmcmanus. This hunt for me all came from this blog post. Just keep in mind many of those in the poll are free if you want to try it out before (or until) spending money. Smultron or TextWrangler are two popular options.

And I suppose I should have included Pages (iWorks '08) in the poll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back