OS vs NOS DAC, what's the difference in SQ?
Apr 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ejoy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I know the difference between oversampling and NOS DACs is the former oversampling the data, period. But how about sound quality? Can anyone having a DAC that can toggle between OS and NOS mode gives me some subjective advice on SQ difference?

Cheers,
John

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 7
I just got a stello da100. toggling between os/nos. os is lighter airier more open, with better details. nos is slower a bit muddier not as open sounding. for well recorded music os sounds better. for compressed or bright music nos sounds a bit better. i tend to prefer os mosly at least with my d7000. havent listened much to my other headphones lately.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 7
It very much depends on the DAC. NOS tends to be mid-range centric from what I've had, but can also be very spacious and airy too. I've heard others though that have found bright or even edgy ones, so you can see there's plenty of flavors.

Neither solution is all encompassing. In terms of SQ both types can sound good . . . it all depends on the quality of implementation. The best you can do is probably read impressions of ones you're interested in and get what you feel is something you'd enjoy, unless of course you can audition them which is even better.
normal_smile .gif

Happy DAC hunting
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a stello da100. toggling between os/nos. os is lighter airier more open, with better details. nos is slower a bit muddier not as open sounding. for well recorded music os sounds better. for compressed or bright music nos sounds a bit better. i tend to prefer os mosly at least with my d7000. havent listened much to my other headphones lately.

You're mistakening the upsampling function of your stello with oversampling.

Don't quote me on it, but I believe the Audio Gd Reference one can toggle between OS and NOS.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 7
I had an EMU1212M, it was quite good for the price, but with my gear sounded too analitical and it was hard to listen for hours,
The Moodlab dac(NOS) sounds more musical, less bass(not punchy), relaxing to the ears, without loosing detail.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're mistakening the upsampling function of your stello with oversampling.

Don't quote me on it, but I believe the Audio Gd Reference one can toggle between OS and NOS.

It can. However, DACs designed to be NOS tend to use at least 6 DA ICs in parallel specifically for that purpose. The Ref 1 wasn't designed in that way. Also, there are DACs such as the Red Wine Audio Iseballina which are "high end" NOS DACs, so they aren't just limited to low and mid-range systems.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can. However, DACs designed to be NOS tend to use at least 6 DA ICs in parallel specifically for that purpose. The Ref 1 wasn't designed in that way. Also, there are DACs such as the Red Wine Audio Iseballina which are "high end" NOS DACs, so they aren't just limited to low and mid-range systems.

DACs that parallel DAC ICs typically do so to increase the output current to allow passive I/V. Typically TDA1543s, etc. That they are also often NOS is more of a coincidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back