Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5)
Jun 12, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #181 of 264
just got these yesterday and fell in love with it.. i like the tuning. even though the highs are not extended as with other multi BA, i think i do prefer these over layla and angie..
will have to evaluate vs k10u

these are very2x impressive..

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #182 of 264
just got these yesterday and fell in love with it.. i like the tuning. even though the highs are not extended as with other multi BA, i think i do prefer these over layla and angie..
will have to evaluate vs k10u

these are very2x impressive..

That's very interesting, especially considering that I feel like the Angie is quite similar to the EQ-8 overall, but yeah, I think the EQ-8 is simply superb... at any price really. One of my faves. I'd take em over the K10U easy, but they're very different signatures overall. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #184 of 264
Found a really nice source for the e-Q8 - VentureCraft Soundroid Vantam.  Japanese + Japanese = Synergy 
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #186 of 264
What cable is that?

One of many Chinese cables on taobao http://s.taobao.com/search?q=sony+zx1+to+micro+usb&js=1&stats_click=search_radio_all%3A1&initiative_id=staobaoz_20150613&ie=utf8

This particular cable works perfectly with pha-3 and oppo ha-2 and it also works with the Vantam but it easily goes out of the port when you do not expect - too thick housing of the cable and the micro usb port on the Vantam is 1 mm deeper than a rear surface. Need to replace it with more compatible cable.

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #187 of 264
how are these compared to the eq-5 ?

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #188 of 264
- eq8 bass is more linear than the eq5; eq5 has more mid bass presence.
- eq5 mids are slightly laid back whereas the eq8 mids are more upfront/forward.
- eq5 has a good bit more treble sparkle and presence; eq8 treble is laid back next to its mids.
- eq8 note weight is thicker/weightier; eq5 sounds a good bit thinner in comparison.
- both have larger feeling head stages to me but eq8 is much more upfront. .

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #194 of 264
How did you manage to recable these? I've been looking for a way to get rid of the crappy included cable with no success...

Well, not me but this guy http://www.hybridaudio.ru/photo/CID_193.html
Not fully recabled. He left 10 cm of the original wire just to get a separate ground (2 wires per channel) needed for the balanced connection.
But he is working on a full recabeling today with standard mmcx connectors.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #195 of 264
  Well, not me but this guy http://www.hybridaudio.ru/photo/CID_193.html
Not fully recabled. He left 10 cm of the original wire just to get a separate ground (2 wires per channel) needed for the balanced connection.
But he is working on a full recabeling today with standard mmcx connectors.

That is absolutely fantastic. I'm waiting for my pair to come back from repair, will definitely want to mod these with a mmcx connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back