Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5)
Nov 6, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #241 of 264
i have owned eq5/eq7 , and i know i should try out eq8

waiting for some used ones to pop up here at a reasonable price 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #242 of 264
Reading some of the feedback here I get the impression that there isn't a night and day difference between EQ8 and EQ5 (which I own), or perhaps I'm wrong? Is it worth upgrading to the 8s from 5? I like the EQ5 but find them a little nasally sounding with slight lack of sub bass, and slightly compressed soundstage (no 3d). Other options I'm considering are the DUNU-2000J or Noble Audio 4 (i like flat/neutral, reference sound)- if anyone has been able to compare to the EQ5s I'd love to hear your thoughts

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #244 of 264
Hi guys I own Eq-8 and think there a stunning phone. Really need a good amp. I use Hugo into Vorzuge Pure ii and it makes a huge difference . Even fed from iPhone 6 into Pure they sound great. Bigger sound stage deeper bass more air depth and layers of detail. Every note is pin sharp and crisp. Vorzuge and Eq-8 are a match made in heaven. All for the price a lot less than some other high end iem. There good but do need a good amp. Hope you enjoy them as much as me.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #246 of 264
Hi guys, I'm selling an e-Q5 which I'm not listening to much anymore. Their mids are indeed special.

The classified's in my sig. Thanks for reading.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #247 of 264
Does anyone have any impressions of the soundstage of the eg-8 with reference to the eq-5?  I found the eq-5 to have a wide soundstage to the left and right, but not much up, down, in, or out.  

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #248 of 264
From various online reviews, it seems that the e-Q8 is a good pairing with vorzuge pure II, soundroid vantam, portaphile micro or the hugo/mojo.

For me the vorzuge amp works great with the e-Q8!

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #249 of 264
Does anyone have any impressions of the soundstage of the eg-8 with reference to the eq-5?  I found the eq-5 to have a wide soundstage to the left and right, but not much up, down, in, or out.  

The e-Q5 sounds overall wider and airier, as well as giving a bit more distance from the performance. In contrast, the e-Q8 sounds much more upfront and overall taller and denser with a more head-filling experience.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #250 of 264
I recently bought the chord mojo for paring with my e-q8. Finally, my e-q8 sounds amazing. Hissing however is present when no song is playing. Still not perfect I guess.

Also, I have a meizu pro 5. I am quite surprised on how good the the DAC/AMP on the pro 5 is on driving my e-q8. I use tidal with a hifi subscription but initially tidal was not setup to use the onboard DAC/AMP of the pro 5. However, through the link below I was able to make tidal use the onboard DAC/AMP on the pro 5 and whew, it can power the e-q8 to levels that is close to what I am hearing on my chord mojo, and without the hiss! But ofcourse, the chord mojo is still better on all aspects, except for the hiss.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this experience on my e-q8.

Procedure on how to force tidal on the pro 5 to use its onboard DAC/AMP 
https://forum.meizufans.eu/topic/3557/how-to-hifi-audio-in-custom-apps

Details on the DAC/AMP of the meizu pro 5 - its quite amazing how this phone focused on its audio capabilities
http://www.meizu.com/en/products/pro5/hifi.html

May 16, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #252 of 264
Vorzuge Pure II or II+ and EQ-8 are a lovely combination.

Is there a sound quality difference between the pure II and pure II+ besides the improvements on usability? I am about to get one to work with my chord mojo as my chord mojo hisses when using my e-q8, By the way, do have hear any hiss on your vorzuge / e-q8 setup when no music is playing and no source is connected to the vorzuge?

May 16, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #253 of 264

Is there a sound quality difference between the pure II and pure II+ besides the improvements on usability? I am about to get one to work with my chord mojo as my chord mojo hisses when using my e-q8, By the way, do have hear any hiss on your vorzuge / e-q8 setup when no music is playing and no source is connected to the vorzuge?

The PURE II and PURE II+ hiss less than the Mojo, so you should see improvements whilst using either model. As for audible improvements, they are minimal, but measurable. I'm not sure that they are audible but others may disagree. In some places the regular PURE II is ahead; in others, PURE II+ is ahead. As to hiss when nothing is connected, let's be clear: hiss/output noise occurs through every powered device. It depends on how sensitive are your ears and earphones as well as the level of noise coming from the amp/source.

I can hear it through either PURE model, but only just. It is as low-level as exists from any amp.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #254 of 264
mmm....just to add my experience: very, very, very  little or no hiss out of the Ortofon EQ8 + Vorzuge Pure II + (really, really dig this combo), no source,  gain set to low on the amp and volume at 100 percent.  Maybe, my ears are  less sensitive to hiss noise than others so ymmv.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #255 of 264
Okay, I am itching to get a used pair but I hope someone can tell me if its an upgrade from the DBA-02? I own both DBA-02 and E-Q5 and they have different genre forte. Both with double flange tips if I may add :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back