I feel sick. Very sick!

I want one!

Why can't I have one?

Oh bugger it, why's life so unfair?
confused.gif

Congrats. You're one very lucky cookie.

Pics?

May 21, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #17 of 38
Congrates on a great peice of Gear,The hev90,He90 definately have the ability to seduce you onto the Music & forget about the Gear.

Looks pretty cool to
orphsmile.gif

May 21, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #18 of 38
You're joking that you wanted Jahn to help you right? He's not very technically skilled
tongue.gif

Congrats on the acquisition. Where did you get this from? How much?
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 38
about 15 grand, and you find them... well no place sells them anymore do they? you can only get them from senn directly or like from someone else right?

i wouldn't know about where, just how much.

May 21, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 38
So you took that picture of your stuff in Jahn's Curse You thread 5 days ago and only got around to turning it on now? I would've been going crazy not being able to sit down and listen to it. You must be a really busy guy.

And I had no idea the HEV90 had an internal DAC. That's crazy. Any impressions on how that sounds vs. the Apogee?

May 21, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
So you took that picture of your stuff in Jahn's Curse You thread 5 days ago and only got around to turning it on now? I would've been going crazy not being able to sit down and listen to it. You must be a really busy guy.

And I had no idea the HEV90 had an internal DAC. That's crazy. Any impressions on how that sounds vs. the Apogee?

haha...that is the next step...after consulting with my hapless pal jahn i figured out how to connect the apogee to the orpheus but i need to pick up a cable/adaptor first so impressions will be a little delayed...however the orpheus does sound warmer and whether that is dus to the tubes or internal dac i dont know at this point. thanks for all the congratulations everyone.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Wow. You've come a long way from the V600s. Congrats!
tongue.gif

hahah jagorev.....that is right..i did come from the v600s and defended them vigously until i saw the light...but this might be the reason why i am not into the sony's now at all....
evil_smiley.gif

really i am a noob at this point..dont know what kind of tubes they use and hopefully wont have to find out for awhile when i need to replace them. there are far more knowledgeable people here who know everything inside out and who can answer all questions...heck it was hard enough turning the thing on.

May 22, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #25 of 38
as Lan has mentioned, I am technically challenged. for some reason the apogee does not have any analog RCA line outs. it has XLR balanced outs, and a mini line out jack, and the headphone out's 1/4 jack.

my advice to 1911 was to go get a mini to rca IC. what do you think gang?

May 22, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #26 of 38
I think that you could feed the orpheus from an 8 track and still get a decent sounding result. It is supposed to be the be-all and end-all god of headphones isnt it?

Seriously though, mini to rca cables, so long as you get a decent one, work well.

XLR-RCA adapters would be an option as well i suppose.

May 22, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #27 of 38
Assuming that i were feeling flush, can these things be had? An earlier poster suggested that they can still be purchased from Sennheiser. Is that true? I thought that they were out of production.

Also, while the matching amp is a thing of utter design elegance, are some other amps for electrostats (e.g. Singlepower) better sounding?

May 22, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #28 of 38
Given that this is an Orph we're talking about here, and the Apogee DAC is no slouch itself, I'd not skimp on the cables. I'd put in a call to one of the head-fi sponsors who make custom cables (Moon Audio, for instance) and ask them what is the best type of cable for the job. The Orpheus is one of the few components that I'd use to try out those $1,500 SilTech cables that the Spearit Sound guys like carry on about.

Also, stupid question, but are you using a power conditioner? My humble Adcom/GLite rig displayed a significant improvement when I went from a Furman PL-8 to a Monster Power HTS-5100 Mk II. I can only imagine ("imagine" in the sense that I can "imagine" that Jupiter is a rather large body) how an Orph system sounds once it's being fed proper line current.
orphsmile.gif

If I had a system of that calibre, I'd probably get one of those units that synthesizes its own 60Hz waveform. I know Monster makes one that does so with stepper motors, and I've seen some pro spec ones that use an AC->DC->AC conversion process that's done digitally. Those are rather heavy (120lbs rackmount) and expensive ($9000-ish), however. Still, if there is a piece of gear that would produce an audible difference from such a power source, it would be the HEV90.
icon10.gif

May 22, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckledragger
Given that this is an Orph we're talking about here, and the Apogee DAC is no slouch itself, I'd not skimp on the cables. I'd put in a call to one of the head-fi sponsors who make custom cables (Moon Audio, for instance) and ask them what is the best type of cable for the job. The Orpheus is one of the few components that I'd use to try out those $1,500 SilTech cables that the Spearit Sound guys like carry on about.

Also, stupid question, but are you using a power conditioner? My humble Adcom/GLite rig displayed a significant improvement when I went from a Furman PL-8 to a Monster Power HTS-5100 Mk II. I can only imagine ("imagine" in the sense that I can "imagine" that Jupiter is a rather large body) how an Orph system sounds once it's being fed proper line current.
orphsmile.gif

If I had a system of that calibre, I'd probably get one of those units that synthesizes its own 60Hz waveform. I know Monster makes one that does so with stepper motors, and I've seen some pro spec ones that use an AC->DC->AC conversion process that's done digitally. Those are rather heavy (120lbs rackmount) and expensive ($9000-ish), however. Still, if there is a piece of gear that would produce an audible difference from such a power source, it would be the HEV90.
icon10.gif

haha...i guess i would have to hear people's testimony because for the most part i dont really buy into the concept of power conditioning and fancy cables. but i havent been to a meet yet to compare so i am open to all opinions. for now i use a computer power conditioner that provides a steady current and backup battery supply. but i could be wrong..like i was with the v600
icon10.gif

May 22, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
like i was with the v600
icon10.gif

I believe you've travelled too far too fast. Your tastes are closer to V600 than HE90
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back