orpheus
May 22, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
as Lan has mentioned, I am technically challenged. for some reason the apogee does not have any analog RCA line outs. it has XLR balanced outs, and a mini line out jack, and the headphone out's 1/4 jack.

my advice to 1911 was to go get a mini to rca IC. what do you think gang?

The XLR outs sound better to my ears. Not by a great margin, but clearly different and IMO a bit better (more relaxed, with better definition and soundstage).

May 22, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte
The XLR outs sound better to my ears. Not by a great margin, but clearly different and IMO a bit better (more relaxed, with better definition and soundstage).

so 1911 should get some xlr-to-rca ICs? interesting!

May 22, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #34 of 38
Yeah the system cost a lot of money. However, how many of us would have the money right now for the Orpheus if we would have just stopped at one headphone, amp, cd player ect.. intead of always changing and trying new things and saved our money instead? Many of us have bought multiple headphones, amps, cable, cd player, ect.. over the years that if you add it up, we could have the Big O today.

May 22, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
so 1911 should get some xlr-to-rca ICs? interesting!

Yep! And I just can't understand where does this difference came from. Apogee says the two outputs (balanced and unbalanced) are identical soundwise, but this is obviously not the case. Unless my converter is defective, which I kind of doubt it...

May 22, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #36 of 38
IMO it's really a matter of the sound signature that a person prefers. I think that, while the SinglePower amp. provides more detail, and more "punch" than the HEV90, I prefer the warmer and more enveloping sound signature (i.e., sound character) of the HEV90. Although I'm currently using a McAlister amp. to drive my HE90, I clearly prefer the sound signature of the HEV90. Perhaps Justin's soon to be forthcoming new amp will provide a sound signature that satisfies me as much, or more, than that of the HEV90. Thus, which amp produces the best sound is clearly a matter of personal taste. Although the SinglePower amp was clearly prefered by numerous people at the recent National Meet, I've spoken to some who preferred the sound signature of the HEV90. I do think, however, that the HEV90 is the perfect reference standard against which the performance of other electrostatic headphone amps can be evaluated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppin
Also, while the matching amp is a thing of utter design elegance, are some other amps for electrostats (e.g. Singlepower) better sounding?

May 22, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Comito
Yeah the system cost a lot of money. However, how many of us would have the money right now for the Orpheus if we would have just stopped at one headphone, amp, cd player ect.. intead of always changing and trying new things and saved our money instead? Many of us have bought multiple headphones, amps, cable, cd player, ect.. over the years that if you add it up, we could have the Big O today.

The Orpheus system is great, no doubt.

I sold my Orpheus system because I could not live with the idea of having spend so much money on a headphone system.

May 23, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I believe you've travelled too far too fast. Your tastes are closer to V600 than HE90
tongue.gif

damn lan..that hurts....true but it still hurts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back