Oriveti OH300 + OH500 (3/5 driver hybrid IEM's) Thread
Jun 8, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #166 of 262
Thanks for the opinions and impressions guys. Does anyone have any more to report as time has gone on? Is the signature standing the test of time thus far?

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #167 of 262
Thanks for the opinions and impressions guys. Does anyone have any more to report as time has gone on? Is the signature standing the test of time thus far?
I still listen to my pair and like the combo with DTR1 DAP. OH500 is a keeper. You can read a comparison with my last IEM here:

SH-2U vs. Oriveti OH500 (1DD/4BA)

IMG_20200522_220403.jpg

2 very confortable IEMs sharing a common sound signature. Warm, a tad dark, but with sufficient resolution to fully satisfy the most of us. In the left corner, the Oriveti OH500, an USD 500.- hybrid Chi-Fi IEM, sporting 1DD and 4BA. In the right corner, the pricier SH-2U, with its dual driver tuned by Samuel Harsch, our swiss mastermind. Quite simple, coherency wins here. The SH-2U takes the crown, just because of its coherency. Otherwise, we are splitting hairs. Bass is a bit heftier (but not bloated) on the OH500, mids are delightful on both drivers and the treble is a bit more energetic on the OH500. Pick your winner. Mine is the one with treble and bass being in communion, namely the SH-2U. The job made by Oriveti is impressive, because you get a well-balanced sounding IEM, whose compromise between warmth and resolution is very appealing. Still, you hear it's a hybrid, because bass is sometimes detached from the mids and treble. Nothing dramatic, really. It exists, though, especially when you have the SH-2U at hand (or at ear). The fit and isolation of the SH-2U are a step above compared to the OH500, it's not even close actually. Once more, it depends on your ear anatomy, but for me, it's a clear win for the SH-2U. All in all, if you are ready to trade a bit of confort and sound cohesiveness at the benefit of value, get the OH500, it's cheaper and very-well built also. You even get more bass, provided you need/want/like it. If you have a bit of extra cash and are looking for Swiss Made craftsmanship, I think you should consider the SH-2U. In the long run, it will make the difference. There is no real winner here actually, it's a matter of priorities and tastes or even budget.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #168 of 262
I still listen to my pair and like the combo with DTR1 DAP. OH500 is a keeper. You can read a comparison with my last IEM here:

SH-2U vs. Oriveti OH500 (1DD/4BA)

IMG_20200522_220403.jpg

2 very confortable IEMs sharing a common sound signature. Warm, a tad dark, but with sufficient resolution to fully satisfy the most of us. In the left corner, the Oriveti OH500, an USD 500.- hybrid Chi-Fi IEM, sporting 1DD and 4BA. In the right corner, the pricier SH-2U, with its dual driver tuned by Samuel Harsch, our swiss mastermind. Quite simple, coherency wins here. The SH-2U takes the crown, just because of its coherency. Otherwise, we are splitting hairs. Bass is a bit heftier (but not bloated) on the OH500, mids are delightful on both drivers and the treble is a bit more energetic on the OH500. Pick your winner. Mine is the one with treble and bass being in communion, namely the SH-2U. The job made by Oriveti is impressive, because you get a well-balanced sounding IEM, whose compromise between warmth and resolution is very appealing. Still, you hear it's a hybrid, because bass is sometimes detached from the mids and treble. Nothing dramatic, really. It exists, though, especially when you have the SH-2U at hand (or at ear). The fit and isolation of the SH-2U are a step above compared to the OH500, it's not even close actually. Once more, it depends on your ear anatomy, but for me, it's a clear win for the SH-2U. All in all, if you are ready to trade a bit of confort and sound cohesiveness at the benefit of value, get the OH500, it's cheaper and very-well built also. You even get more bass, provided you need/want/like it. If you have a bit of extra cash and are looking for Swiss Made craftsmanship, I think you should consider the SH-2U. In the long run, it will make the difference. There is no real winner here actually, it's a matter of priorities and tastes or even budget.

This is an excellent comparison and very helpful. Thanks F700. I’m impressed at how the OH500 can hold it’s own and not be displaced by an IEM that’s several hundred pounds more expensive. We appear to share the same taste in signature, so I value your opinion. Like you, I put a of value on coherency and cohesion. This doesn’t seem to get mentioned much enough in relation to hybrids or multi driver iems these days.

I’ve been out of the loop here for a good few years but have been astounded coming back. The bang for buck factor has gone through the roof! After a lot of reading I got the Starfield as my budget iem, largely for it’s effortlessness and cohesion. I’m seriously impressed but also want a mid-fi set. I’ve been torn between the DK-3001 Pro and the OH500 but am leaning towards the latter. I think the additional warmth and smoothness would better match my preference.

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #169 of 262
This is an excellent comparison and very helpful. Thanks F700. I’m impressed at how the OH500 can hold it’s own and not be displaced by an IEM that’s several hundred pounds more expensive. We appear to share the same taste in signature, so I value your opinion. Like you, I put a of value on coherency and cohesion. This doesn’t seem to get mentioned much enough in relation to hybrids or multi driver iems these days.

I’ve been out of the loop here for a good few years but have been astounded coming back. The bang for buck factor has gone through the roof! After a lot of reading I got the Starfield as my budget iem, largely for it’s effortlessness and cohesion. I’m seriously impressed but also want a mid-fi set. I’ve been torn between the DK-3001 Pro and the OH500 but am leaning towards the latter. I think the additional warmth and smoothness would better match my preference.
Where do I start? Firstly, thanks for your words. Second, welcome back in the hobby :wink:

The OH500 is worth its price tag IMO. Difficult not to like it, if you know what sound signature you are after. Take the Meze Penta Raï or the CA Andromeda. Ok, these are both 5BA IEMs, priced at approx. USD 1K. I listened extensively to both of them at my favorite shop. The OH500 is a clear winner over both of them, once more, if you are into a slightly warm sound signature, with full-bodied yet realistic mids and smooth and detailed treble.

Bang for buck factor in some categories (thanks Chi-Fi for example) really has improved, but on the other side of the spectrum, companies continue to charge more and more for so-called flagships. It went in both directions.

I also was hesitating to buy the DK-3001 Pro, which most likely sounds about the same, maybe with more treble quantity and a tad less mids. You cannot go wrong with any of those :) let us know which one you have chosen.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #170 of 262
Where do I start? Firstly, thanks for your words. Second, welcome back in the hobby :wink:

The OH500 is worth its price tag IMO. Difficult not to like it, if you know what sound signature you are after. Take the Meze Penta Raï or the CA Andromeda. Ok, these are both 5BA IEMs, priced at approx. USD 1K. I listened extensively to both of them at my favorite shop. The OH500 is a clear winner over both of them, once more, if you are into a slightly warm sound signature, with full-bodied yet realistic mids and smooth and detailed treble.

Bang for buck factor in some categories (thanks Chi-Fi for example) really has improved, but on the other side of the spectrum, companies continue to charge more and more for so-called flagships. It went in both directions.

I also was hesitating to buy the DK-3001 Pro, which most likely sounds about the same, maybe with more treble quantity and a tad less mids. You cannot go wrong with any of those :) let us know which one you have chosen.

Thank You. It’s good to be back (though I’m not sure my wallet agrees)!

Some people might be surprised that you prefer the oh500 over the Andro, but to me it makes perfect. It highlights just how key a preferred signature is. It’s exciting to be wowed by technical ability... but I often used to end up listening to the earphone rather than the music. I‘d choose smoothness and transparency over hyper details. So long as imaging is good and the presentation has room to breath, I don’t need a vast soundstage. From what you say, the OH500 seems like a really good fit.

Yes, from what I’ve read the DK-3000 Pro is similarly polite but slightly brighter. I‘d love to try them both but am definitely gravitating towards the warmth of the OH500.

Thanks again. I’ll keep you updated.

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #171 of 262
Some people might be surprised that you prefer the oh500 over the Andro
Don't mention :wink:

Andro almost has a cult status. Where are we now, 4 or 5 iterations of the same IEM? A lot of people love that set and some of its different "tuning" and it's good so. I take the OH500 over it any day, though.

I fully can understand that Andro aficionados might find the OH500 too bassy and veiled.

The main issue with the Andro is the fit and the green paint, which gets away quite quickly if you don't take extreme good care of it. In my opinion, USD 1K for the Andro is way too expensive for what it does soundwise. Especially if we consider the current global IEM offering. Strangely, the only CA IEM I liked was the now discontinued Jupiter.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #172 of 262
odd as Jupiter has pretty subdued upper mids - even more subdued than andro.

A consideration for OH500 over DK3001p is the comfy resin shells. While the DK are small, there's something about the metal shells that rubbed my concha the wrong way. Same with the Rai Penta. So comfort on OH500 is stellar (at least for me).

OH500 cant quite reach the finesse and cohesion (phase alignment) of the Rai Penta. But the Penta fails in upper treble (poor extension) and sounds tonally colored in the mids. It also has a metallic/agressive lower treble. 5-7k just plain hurt!

OH500 over Andro all day every day. Andro sounds artificial to me due to the whispy upper treble and next to zero upper mid gain. It's upper bass is also a little too thick for my liking. I get it - the legacy - and I owned it for a few months - cohesion and detail are through the roof, but come at the cost of timbre and natural sound. Even if both IEMs cost 1k, I'd argue that the OH500 are the more natural, enjoyable and comfortable.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #173 of 262
odd as Jupiter has pretty subdued upper mids - even more subdued than andro.

A consideration for OH500 over DK3001p is the comfy resin shells. While the DK are small, there's something about the metal shells that rubbed my concha the wrong way. Same with the Rai Penta. So comfort on OH500 is stellar (at least for me).

OH500 cant quite reach the finesse and cohesion (phase alignment) of the Rai Penta. But the Penta fails in upper treble (poor extension) and sounds tonally colored in the mids. It also has a metallic/agressive lower treble. 5-7k just plain hurt!

OH500 over Andro all day every day. Andro sounds artificial to me due to the whispy upper treble and next to zero upper mid gain. It's upper bass is also a little too thick for my liking. I get it - the legacy - and I owned it for a few months - cohesion and detail are through the roof, but come at the cost of timbre and natural sound. Even if both IEMs cost 1k, I'd argue that the OH500 are the more natural, enjoyable and comfortable.
We seem to agree on a lot of paramaters here. The Jupiter was not an amazing set, but a pretty good one back in the days for my tastes and before I seriously get into IEMs. I kept a good impression, unfortunately this is not the case for the rest of the line-up.

I close the Jupiter topic here.

OH500 remains quite underrated and it's a bit of a shame...

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #174 of 262
Jun 12, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #175 of 262
My OH500 have found a new home. Hard to let them go, but time to look forward with a small desktop system. Thanks to the buyer, I am sure he will take good care of it.

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #176 of 262
My OH500 have found a new home. Hard to let them go, but time to look forward with a small desktop system. Thanks to the buyer, I am sure he will take good care of it.

Oh I certainly will! Thanks for an excellent deal! I’ll post my initial impressions here once they arrive.

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #177 of 262
Makes me wonder why Oriveti doesnt make any new stuff since there seems to be a small fan base for the OH300/OH500.

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #178 of 262
Makes me wonder why Oriveti doesnt make any new stuff since there seems to be a small fan base for the OH300/OH500.
Less is more

Serious now, Oriveti isn't the typical Chi-Fi company. They aren't releasing items for the sake of it. It's nice :wink:

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #179 of 262
Hey yall! I have been very interested in the OH500 for a good while now, and I am about ready to pull the trigger. However, I recently discovered ThieAudio and am curious if any OH500 owners have heard the ThieAudio Legacy 9, and could compare. Looking at Crinacle's graphs of the 2, they seem somewhat close.

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #180 of 262
I’ve not heard the Legacy 9 as was put off by reviews saying how bassy it was. The oh500 is quite a linear sound.

I’ve spent almost a week with the oh500 now and honestly astounded by it’s strong balance and clean tone. To my ears it’s a warm, smooth and mildly W-shaped sound. Timbre is extremely good. It’s a slightly mid focused signature which is expansive, open and very resolving of fine detail.

Bass is really impressive with a noticeable sub-bass emphasis that gives some serious impact and rumble when the track calls for it. Mid bass is linear with a slight reduction in upper bass. Overall the bass has excellent texture and definition. For my tastes it’s more than quick enough on complex tracks.

Mids sound very natural with a realistic timbre. They’re ever so slightly warmed but have excellent clarity. They are very resolving but invite you in rather throw it in your face. Vocals are forward but never get shouty. There’s no grain to be heard - the opposite - I find them very smooth and musical. I’d expect a signature like this sacrifice resolution but that’s absolutely not the case with the oh500. The mids are the star of the show here.

Rolled off highs are usually the catch with a signature like this... but the oh500 treble has real crispness and excellent detail presence. Shimmer and decay are very accurate. There’s not harshness or brightness yet detail retrieval is highly impressive. I keep looking for a catch... but if there is one, I haven’t found it yet. Treble is articulate, smooth and brilliantly balanced with mids and bass.

Sound stage seems very well-rounded with good width and excellent depth. Imaging is accurate and precise. Separation is extremely good despite the smoothness and warmth. I’ve tested them on my fastest and most complex tracks and not once have sounded chaotic or congested. Everything about the presentation is effortless.

The oh500 are extremely easy to drive and seem to be very source agnostic. I have to have them 10-20 volume steps lower than my other iems. They sound great out of my LG V30 phone but are really taken to the next level by my DX160.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back