Oriveti OH300 + OH500 (3/5 driver hybrid IEM's) Thread
Mar 17, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #123 of 262
_

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #125 of 262
_

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #126 of 262
My wife actually saved my Oriolus v2 during the holidays when they somehow had a crack in the housing. Glued it back and it's as good as it's always been. Do you folks ever miss the Oriolus v2?

Also, thank you for the helpful information, very rich, since I too own the hd 660s. I'd pick the Oriolus for all vocals (very good for both genders), and 660s is my benchmark for jazz timbre. Where does the 500 come into play? Does it portray a sweeter female vocal? At the cost of accurate timbre? Tia.

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #127 of 262
_

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #128 of 262
_

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #130 of 262
Man oh man. Looking at the graphs of the OH500 had me worried I'd have to EQ down the 6-8 treble lift. No such. These IEMs (even without EQ) are fantastically balanced and non-sibilant. The FR dip at 5khz is perfect as this is where many folks experience a resonance due to their ear canals, so it actually sounds nice and linear due to the strategically placed dip. Treble is very natural and has a proper balance between lower/middle/upper treble to avoid coming off artificial or overly ethereal.

Coming from some popular (more expensive iems) - Penta, Andro, Angie, Oriolus Mk2, Fibae 7 - these certainly hang.

Currently using spiral dots with a semi-deep insertion. Will provide more thoughts as time goes on, but first couple listens is very promising.

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #131 of 262
Man oh man. Looking at the graphs of the OH500 had me worried I'd have to EQ down the 6-8 treble lift. No such. These IEMs (even without EQ) are fantastically balanced and non-sibilant. The FR dip at 5khz is perfect as this is where many folks experience a resonance due to their ear canals, so it actually sounds nice and linear due to the strategically placed dip. Treble is very natural and has a proper balance between lower/middle/upper treble to avoid coming off artificial or overly ethereal.

Coming from some popular (more expensive iems) - Penta, Andro, Angie, Oriolus Mk2, Fibae 7 - these certainly hang.

Currently using spiral dots with a semi-deep insertion. Will provide more thoughts as time goes on, but first couple listens is very promising.

Dear friend, are the mids as sweet as the Oriolus mk2? Even sweeter?

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #132 of 262
I can't know for sure because I no longer have oriolus mk2. But from memory I know that the mk2 didn't extend as well in the treble. Mids are sweet indeed and peak about same place mk2 does. Somewhere around 2.5khz. I prefer the fit and sound of oh500. But I'm not a fan of mmcx. That's the only downside to this iem.

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #133 of 262
actually, they graph quite similarly too. But I get a deeper fit with the oh500 and I think that improves the treble considerably. I really wish I could a/b these two back to back:

green = oh500
red = oriolus mk2

matched at 200hz - @crinacle 's IEM graph tool for proper attribution - I hope this is allowed. If not, I'll remove.
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 10.00.13 PM.png

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #135 of 262
In case anyone is curious, the OH500 handles high output impedance sources very nicely.

I decided on a whim to hook it up to my desktop system (Lake People RS-08 Amp and Chord 2Qute DAC). It had too much hiss for me, so I grabbed a 75 ohm impedance adapter. Not to my surprise, the noise floor disappeared completely and I could get lots of volume travel on the pot. TO my surprise, the tonality didn't change much... perhaps a db less bass and a db more treble, but nothing wild. I was expecting those BA drivers' FR to swing out of whack, but that didn't happen!

With that said, I think a word about the OH500 and how it hisses (or doesn't) is warranted. Zero hiss on Dragonfly Red, LGV30, DX160, DX221, DX227. A very small, almost indiscernible amount on Dethonray HA-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back