Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jul 9, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #6,781 of 8,024
It is indeed. Very versatile and works great with the full sized headphones too.
It’s definitely something to think about. I’m at Canjam at the end of the month and so I’m hoping to try out the C9.

Jul 9, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #6,783 of 8,024
Thank you, I appreciate all the experience which goes with this. One question, please. No love for the Odin?
Yes. I actually intended to list the Odin on my close runner-ups but missed it off by mistake.

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #6,784 of 8,024
Sunday morning listening :).

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 13, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #6,785 of 8,024
New Oriolus is available!

13073AD2-6BD0-42A1-B233-8AD81980C38A.jpeg

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #6,786 of 8,024
Jul 14, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #6,787 of 8,024
I got the email from Musicteck about this. I must admit that for $890 I was quite tempted.
Me too, but then I thought to myself, at that price I doubt it can compete with my TOTLs IEMs. But yes, tempting.. esp. with the planar novelty and elevated bass.

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #6,788 of 8,024
Me too, but then I thought to myself, at that price I doubt it can compete with my TOTLs IEMs. But yes, tempting.. esp. with the planar novelty and elevated bass.
I thought this too, but then I remembered IE900 and TZ700 and how well these have been received, even though people already have TOTLs in their collection. I realise that these 2 are a bit more in cost but If the Szalayi can perform in a similar manner then they may be worth a try. I’m hoping that I can try them out at Canjam at the end of this month.

Jul 14, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #6,790 of 8,024
I thought this too, but then I remembered IE900 and TZ700 and how well these have been received, even though people already have TOTLs in their collection. I realise that these 2 are a bit more in cost but If the Szalayi can perform in a similar manner then they may be worth a try. I’m hoping that I can try them out at Canjam at the end of this month.

I honestly don't think price necessarily equates to listening pleasure, hence why I keep exploring new sets. I often listen to the €130 Final A4000, or the similarly priced Hifiman RE800 - of course they don't compete with Traillii or others at that level, but they offer their own unique charm for various genres. TZ700 is my extended honeymoon set at the moment, I would say highlight IEM of the year!

I guess it depends on what any individual wants out of the hobby - one set or maybe a couple of sets to enjoy/love music - or continue trying new things as part of the hobby... the latter for me at the moment, but that could change for whatever reason in the future. I still see it as learning in many ways, getting a better handle on various types of tuning and how they align with my preferences, which I'm equally getting a better handle on too!

I keep some longer term, others I move on - coincidentally, I just sold the qdc DMagic 3D yesterday and that justified (guilt free!) taking the plunge with Szalayi.

The only 'negative' is I don't research music as much as I used to before this IEM obsession - I'm leaning a bit more towards the gear than the music lately and I do want to correct that. By research I mean keeping on top of new releases, hunting down obscure albums/artists etc and generally discovering music - I still do of course, just not as much.

Jul 14, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #6,791 of 8,024
I honestly don't think price necessarily equates to listening pleasure, hence why I keep exploring new sets. I often listen to the €130 Final A4000, or the similarly priced Hifiman RE800 - of course they don't compete with Traillii or others at that level, but they offer their own unique charm for various genres. TZ700 is my extended honeymoon set at the moment, I would say highlight IEM of the year!

I guess it depends on what any individual wants out of the hobby - one set or maybe a couple of sets to enjoy/love music - or continue trying new things as part of the hobby... the latter for me at the moment, but that could change for whatever reason in the future. I still see it as learning in many ways, getting a better handle on various types of tuning and how they align with my preferences, which I'm equally getting a better handle on too!

I keep some longer term, others I move on - coincidentally, I just sold the qdc DMagic 3D yesterday and that justified (guilt free!) taking the plunge with Szalayi.

The only 'negative' is I don't research music as much as I used to before this IEM obsession - I'm leaning a bit more towards the gear than the music lately and I do want to correct that. By research I mean keeping on top of new releases, hunting down obscure albums/artists etc and generally discovering music - I still do of course, just not as much.
So you took the plunge with the Szalayi. Excellent. I want to know how they sound. I’m debating whether to buy them myself. It would be interesting to see how they compare to their big brother. I know that price doesn’t always equal quality, but nonetheless I would be intrigued to see how $890 compares to $6,600 (both being suggested retail prices I mean). Plus I think I read that the Szalayi has an interesting tribrid system; planar, DD and BA I think it was?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #6,792 of 8,024
So you took the plunge with the Szalayi. Excellent. I want to know how they sound. I’m debating whether to buy them myself. It would be interesting to see how they compare to their big brother. I know that price doesn’t always equal quality, but nonetheless I would be intrigued to see how $890 compares to $6,600 (both being suggested retail prices I mean). Plus I think I read that the Szalayi has an interesting tribrid system; planar, DD and BA I think it was?

Yes DD for low, planar for mids, BA for highs. I'd say very different to Traillii, it'll certainly be interesting to try anyway.

Jul 14, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #6,793 of 8,024

Going by the measurement graph Twister6 posted, it looks to be a bit of an exaggerated version of the Oriolus house sound, specifically the Reborn and Crassirostris. Bass has a similar curve but a greater boost. The treble boost begins earlier at 1.5k instead of 2k before it tapers down. As long as it dosen't get too sibilant, I think I'll be happy.

I got the shipping notification for my order. I should have it tomorrow or this weekend. That's one nice benefit to living near Musicteck.

Jul 15, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #6,794 of 8,024
Szalayi ordered :). Will share my impressions and comparison to Isabellae & Traillii when I return from holiday end of Jul.

Jul 15, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #6,795 of 8,024

Users who are viewing this thread

Back